What's new

Old Boker Restore

I put this razor with some others in another thread, but here I'm going to showcase it and ask a few questions....

A) The design on the blade looks to be "etching" or whatever the less durable acid or electrically induced sort tends to be, any ideas on how to clean it without ruining the "Master Razor" design? (Is there anything gentler than MAAS aside from WD-40?)

B) There's some pretty bad pitting and oxidation on the back, and probably under the rust on the front, but not near the blade's edge, should I bother sanding/polishing it all the way off? It's a thin blade, and i'd hate to ruin it.

C) Can anyone tell me what those scales are?? They're metal with a yellow resin filled into cavities on one side of each scale(the outer sides) anybody seen something like this before? the tree on this boker would put it pre-1900 I think. And should I bother restoring the scales or just replace? they sure are interesting, and I could probably get all the rust off of them if I de-pinned it, but never restore the yellow stuff, cept for a shine, could be neat.

Give me your opinions please!

I have a very similar Boker with the pre 1900 tree also. My scales that are original are quite different from yours however. You could PM Ambrose about your scales, he would probably know whether they could be restored or replaced. BTW mine is one of my better shaveers. :thumbup:

that etch doesnt look very deep. ive never used one, but I would think this razor is a great candidate to put in a tumbler. That should clean it up heaps without losing that sweet etch on the blade.

(ive never seen scales like that, but someone will be in shortly to tell you what they are)

Wow beautiful blade!! looks like that will be an awesome project! If the scales are not all the way broken at the pins you can still save them if you wanted to. I love that worked spine, that etching if you are careful can be saved.

If you keep them I would recommend un pinning and cleaning, polishing those scales then reinforcing the cracks before you re pin it.

Top Bottom