What's new

Old American Blends

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur
I've ordered a few samples of some remakes of "Drug Store" blends and would like to start a thread of my impressions as well as those of other members. Now, I am not a connoisseur by any stretch but have been a piper for more than 50 years so I'm going to take a shot at it even though I'm not particularly good with the descriptive words used in tobacco reviews, or wine for that matter. I just know what I like and don't like. I wrote insurance contracts and there was a dearth of touchy feely writing in those. The first I tried was Match Revelation. Having never smoked the original blend, the blend of VA, Burley, Kentucky, Latakia and Perique. Sounded intriguing and I was also swayed by its being Einstein's favored blend. As to my thoughts on my first impression: VA leads, Burley is obvious, there is some spiciness (Perique?) and the Lat doesn't really stand out but it is certainly there lending a smokiness. The cut of the tobacco is much like Prince Albert as is the burn - it did require a few more lights than PA but not a problem. It gives a decent long smoke and doesn't burn hot or bite. There is a bit of a citrus note, even though said to be plum, it seemed more citrus to me. In any case, the topping was very subdued and my overall impression is very good and it would be a good all day smoke. It isn't a fascinating smoke but it is an interesting smoke. I have a sample of Cornell & Diehl Epiphany on order for comparison as it is another remake of this blend some seem to prefer. I also have Match Walnut, Match Holiday and Match Dunhill BB 1938 to try (smells heavily of Lat and I' a bit of a Lat freak). I'm looking forward to the Match Walnut because the original was one of my very favorite "Drug Store" brands and I've smoked a lot of it. Sorry it went away. I also have Match Edgeworth on order. Back in the day when I was living in VA, it was very common in slices and I smoked it on occasion beause I liked the little rectangular tins it came in but I hadn't learned to appreciate American VA/Burley. It just wasn't fancy enough for me in those days of youthful ignorance (I was a too cool tobacco shop dude). If I had only known what I was missing!

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur
I just had a bowl of the Match Dunhill BB 1938 (BB = Baby’s Butt). It is a straight forward VA/Latakia. The Lat was up front with the VA adding sweetness and their is no topping. I love Lat and this is a simple blend - good but not spectacular. Great for an itching for Latakia and worth having I suppose but not an all day tobacco for me. Actually, I doubt I would want any dominant Lat for an all day smoke. Finished up the day with the Revelation - the leader in this race so far.

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur
Not yet. I’ll be ordering more 1oz samples soon. What is it a remake of? I’m smoking Walnut today and will write a simple review later this afternoon.

Isaac

B&B Tease-in-Residence
I really should try Epiphany. I bought over a pound of Revelation after I tried it. It really is probably my go to tobacco.

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur
Match Walnut - By the way, this isn't walnut flavored. It originated in a shop on Walnut Street in Philadelphia. This used be a favored bend of mine and I've smoked tubs of it and I was a bit concerned about a remake. Could I possibly accept something different from the original old friend? The mixture consists of Burley, Cavendish, Kentucky, Maryland, Latikia, Virginia, Oriental/Turkish and perhaps a bit of Perique but no added flavoring. It is a rough/ribbon cut. It loads easily, lights easily and stays lit and burns cool. My concerns came to nought as I believe this is actually an improvement on the original. These many components are blended exquisitely. I can't explain it well except it has a bit of sweetness, body, tang, and doesn't burn hot, doesn't bite, leaves little ash and no dottle. This one is in a tie with Revelation at the moment and I would rate both at 3.5 and recommend. Also, it is quite inexpensive and I will be ordering quantities of both soon. This evening, I will give Holiday a go but I not expecting as much from it.

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur
I really should try Epiphany. I bought over a pound of Revelation after I tried it. It really is probably my go to tobacco.
I’m getting that next order. Be sure to get a sample of Walnut. My next order of samples will include six or eight ounces of each Revolution and Walnut - excellent all day smokes. I looking for what to try next. Holiday was a surprise - much better than I had assumed.

Kilroy6644

Smoking a corn dog in aviators and a top hat
A note on Match Revelation vs. Epiphany: they don't taste the same. It was all well before my time, but apparently the Revelation name changed hands, and recipes, over the years. Epiphany and Match aren't trying to replicate the same Revelation. They're both good, but there's not much similarity.

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur
A note on Match Revelation vs. Epiphany: they don't taste the same. It was all well before my time, but apparently the Revelation name changed hands, and recipes, over the years. Epiphany and Match aren't trying to replicate the same Revelation. They're both good, but there's not much similarity.
Thanks. That’s good to know. Actually I’ve already ordered Epiphany and should have it in a couple of days. Just forgot about it. Ordered a few more samples tonight.

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur
Cool topic. Have you tried C&D Pegasus?
Not yet but the reviews on Tobacco Reviews.com are quite high and I believe it would be right in my wheelhouse. I’ll certainly get sometime. Adding to my wishlist. I just bought three pricey tins amd
Now wish I had spent the money on more
American Classic blends as they are becoming a preference. Thanks for the tip. Steve

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur
Match Holiday = I had a few bowls of this today and it was not at all what I had expected. It is quiet good. it is Burley based with Black Cavendish, Latakia, Perique and VA and cube cut - a bit dry by touch but not when smoked. I didn't notice any of the tobaccos other than the burley really standing out but the blend was quite enjoyable and the blending was fine. I had expected something cloyingly sweet and was pleased it to be the opposite. I'm finding these blends to be similar in many ways with subtle differences and I'm impressed with these old American blends. I finished off the day with an old favorite, Prince Albert - the father of them all? I have Epiphany on the way and that will be it for American take-offs but one more, Elizabethan, a recreation of another English blend. Still looking forward to your recomendations in this vein.

Not yet. I’ll be ordering more 1oz samples soon. What is it a remake of? I’m smoking Walnut today and will write a simple review later this afternoon.
Pegasus is supposed to be a recreation of Bond St without the Kenyucky. Never smoked Bond St, but Pegasus is a nice burley smoke backed by va and cavendish.

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur
I have a few more "codger" blends on order and will post when smoked
Pegasus is supposed to be a recreation of Bond St without the Kenyucky. Never smoked Bond St, but Pegasus is a nice burley smoke backed by va and cavendish.
Yep. Read that in Tobaccoreviews.com. Looking forward to trying it. Soon I hope.

brandaves

With a great avatar comes great misidentification
Seems like you're into Burley generally more then anything. Pegasus is a good one. Old Joe Krantz and Haunted Bookshop are also great in my opinion...I buy all three by the pound as that's the cheapest way to go if you smoke them often (which I do).

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur
Granger is great, just got into Edward G Robinson blend as well... That is a unique one, almost reminds me of Lj Peretti blends.... Another GREAT old time American blender..
it is. Another good burley blend is Half & Half. I find less bite in it than Granger and it is my favorite OTC that is still available in stores. Another you might try is Sir Walter Raleigh. I haven’t had it lately but will pick up a pouch when I run across it.

it is. Another good burley blend is Half & Half. I find less bite in it than Granger and it is my favorite OTC that is still available in stores. Another you might try is Sir Walter Raleigh. I haven’t had it lately but will pick up a pouch when I run across it.
SWR, like all burleys, i go through phases where i love it and phases i hate it... I'll have to try H&H sometime.

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur
I last tried it a few years ago when it was made by Pinkerton and it was awful. Lane makes it now and it is very good once again

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur
The most recent I tried was Country Doctor. My advice on this one is simply don’t bother. Reminded me of a Kool cigarette. Don’t know if I got a bad batch or not but it tasted mentholated to me.

Top Bottom