What's new

Old American Blends

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur
I've ordered a few samples of some remakes of "Drug Store" blends and would like to start a thread of my impressions as well as those of other members. Now, I am not a connoisseur by any stretch but have been a piper for more than 50 years so I'm going to take a shot at it even though I'm not particularly good with the descriptive words used in tobacco reviews, or wine for that matter. I just know what I like and don't like. I wrote insurance contracts and there was a dearth of touchy feely writing in those. The first I tried was Match Revelation. Having never smoked the original blend, the blend of VA, Burley, Kentucky, Latakia and Perique. Sounded intriguing and I was also swayed by its being Einstein's favored blend. As to my thoughts on my first impression: VA leads, Burley is obvious, there is some spiciness (Perique?) and the Lat doesn't really stand out but it is certainly there lending a smokiness. The cut of the tobacco is much like Prince Albert as is the burn - it did require a few more lights than PA but not a problem. It gives a decent long smoke and doesn't burn hot or bite. There is a bit of a citrus note, even though said to be plum, it seemed more citrus to me. In any case, the topping was very subdued and my overall impression is very good and it would be a good all day smoke. It isn't a fascinating smoke but it is an interesting smoke. I have a sample of Cornell & Diehl Epiphany on order for comparison as it is another remake of this blend some seem to prefer. I also have Match Walnut, Match Holiday and Match Dunhill BB 1938 to try (smells heavily of Lat and I' a bit of a Lat freak). I'm looking forward to the Match Walnut because the original was one of my very favorite "Drug Store" brands and I've smoked a lot of it. Sorry it went away. I also have Match Edgeworth on order. Back in the day when I was living in VA, it was very common in slices and I smoked it on occasion beause I liked the little rectangular tins it came in but I hadn't learned to appreciate American VA/Burley. It just wasn't fancy enough for me in those days of youthful ignorance (I was a too cool tobacco shop dude). If I had only known what I was missing!

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur
Lane Ltd. Ready Rubbed (Edgeworth): This will Likely be my last entry in this thread as it is the blend I have always wanted to find. I smoked Edgeworth slices in the late 60’s and early 70’s but wasn’t a seasoned pipe smoker at the time and have smoked boutique blends almost exclusively for many years. Recently, I believed Half and Half was my “Desert Island” blend but finally received my tub of LLRR this morning and have smoked it most of the day. My first impression was one of disappointment. It was quite mild and unimpressive - more so than expected. But, I relaxed, slowed down my pace and just let it come to me and I began to understand it’s elegance, and the enormity if it’s perfect simplicity. As I finished my last two bowls in the cooling evening, I understood this is the tobacco that suits me most where I am now and where I am most likely to stay. In summary, I love it.

Last edited:

brandaves

With a great avatar comes great misidentification
Lane Ltd. Ready Rubbed (Edgeworth): This will Likely be my last entry in this thread as it is the blend I have always wanted to find. I smoked Edgeworth slices in the late 60’s and early 70’s but wasn’t a seasoned pipe smoker at the time and have smoked boutique blends almost exclusively for many years. Recently, I believed Half and Half was my “Desert Island” blend but finally received my tub of LLRR this morning and have smoked it most of the day. My first impression was one of disappointment. It was quite mild and unimpressive - more so than expected. But, I relaxed, slowed down my pace and just let it come to me and I began to understand it’s elegance, and the enormity if it’s perfect simplicity. As I finished my last two bowls in the cooling evening, I understood this is the tobacco that suits me most where I am now and where I am most likely to stay. In summary, I love it.
I was going to ask about this one. I'm glad to hear that you enjoyed it. I've been curious about it for a while but haven't pulled the trigger because I haven't seen it in a smaller offering then 12oz tubs! I may have to take the leap one of these days.

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur
I was going to ask about this one. I'm glad to hear that you enjoyed it. I've been curious about it for a while but haven't pulled the trigger because I haven't seen it in a smaller offering then 12oz tubs! I may have to take the leap one of these days.
Sutliff Match Edgeworth is reportedly the same and is available in bulk and at a lower cost as well. I have an ounce on back order and will let you know when it ships if you like or you can wait for me to compare them. If they are equal, I will be going Sutliff. Cost difference is substantial. I believe JimJinks gave five star rating to both on TR.

Top Bottom