What's new

Old 4711 aroma - is this stuff bad?

Went into an antique store and found a display with old fragrance bottles in it. One was a glass bottle half full marked 4711. Took a whiff or two. Smelled like black pepper with a fruity background. Normally I don't trust old fragrances that aren't full due to oxygen infiltration and the associated deterioration, but I've seen 4711 mentioned on the forum. Is this the real scent?

4711 is citrusy, fruity, floral, and finally woody at drydown. I would say the contents of the bottle you found today have taken a turn for the worse. If you have yet to own and try 4711, it is a "must have". It is a jewel in the fragrance world.

Went into an antique store and found a display with old fragrance bottles in it. One was a glass bottle half full marked 4711. Took a whiff or two. Smelled like black pepper with a fruity background. Normally I don't trust old fragrances that aren't full due to oxygen infiltration and the associated deterioration, but I've seen 4711 mentioned on the forum. Is this the real scent?

probably not. as above, 4711 is citrusy, cologney, light, very fleeting.
your antique store bottle is certainly old and aged.
which does not mean that the antique item is worth/not worth anything.
an antique is unique.

calani feather rudy vey 4711 may 15 2014.jpg

4711 is citrusy, fruity, floral, and finally woody at drydown. I would say the contents of the bottle you found today have taken a turn for the worse. If you have yet to own and try 4711, it is a "must have". It is a jewel in the fragrance world.

+1! Great description or a classic scent! :a14: :a14:

It smells like Orange Flower Water. Go to a grocery or liquor store and smell some.

If the 4711 smells way different, don't put it on your skin.

Top Bottom