What's new

Olberman on fire-- give this an honest ear...

I don't know if this is the place as I haven't posted in this section before, but I just got this link and have been speechless for the past 5 minutes since I watched it. If it's inappropriate, lock it, but perhaps we can be civil about this.

Here is a video of a commentary Keith Olberman gave tonight, quite eloquently and passionately calling for Bush and Cheney's resignation.

I have not seen this kind of passion and truth shown in a prime time national show since Murrows and I'm absolutely amazed that NBC let him do this. It's about time someone in the mainstream media stood up and said what a great many people have been feeling.

As we sit on the eve of our nation's birthday, ready to celebrate why we believe this country to be one of the finest in the world, ponder what got us here, what ideals it was founded on, what freedom and justice mean, what freedoms we may have and your place in all of it.

Regardless of your politics, watch this clip with an open ear, with honesty, and ask yourself if there's any truth to this.

Again, I know things like this can set off a firestorm, so civility please.

Watch it here (seems to work better with Internet Explorer than Firefox)

Keith Olberman is an idiot. IMHO of course, he should have stuck to Sportscenter. I prefer my political commentators to have actual qualifications, not sportscasters. I'll pass, thank you.

I have to say my mouth is also hanging open... but I am thankful there are folks in the media who are willing to express their views.

Seeing Libby's face yesterday with his little smirk of self satisfaction..... I could almost feel his thoughts..... I could almost hear the words, "the president said I wouldn't do any time for this, I now know I won't"..........

Yesterday that brief glimpse of Libby ruined my 4th of July. It is about time the networks let the 'other' point of view out there, and I have to say I agreed with every word of this.

Thanks for sharing it! Happy Independance Day!

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
Thanks to Zach, I just lost five bucks in the "who is going to make the first political post on the fourth of July" pool.

I'll second the "Olberman is an idiot" post. I didn't even need to listen to the clip to come to that conclusion.

I think it's poetic justice that Libby was Mark Rich's attorney.

I'll second the "Olberman is an idiot" post. I didn't even need to listen to the clip to come to that conclusion.

Concur. I just dont understand why he quit on ESPN and FSN. Sure, now he has that NFL Sunday Night Countdown K, but he was actually good on Sportscenter.

Actually, Olberman is one of the most articulate commentators working today. Sportscenter was merely a stepping stone for him.

Agree or disagree with his political viewpoints... but he has a unique perspective and an insight that more often than not mimics my own thoughts and opinions.

I have to say my mouth is also hanging open... but I am thankful there are folks in the media who are willing to express their views.

Seeing Libby's face yesterday with his little smirk of self satisfaction..... I could almost feel his thoughts..... I could almost hear the words, "the president said I wouldn't do any time for this, I now know I won't"..........

Yesterday that brief glimpse of Libby ruined my 4th of July. It is about time the networks let the 'other' point of view out there, and I have to say I agreed with every word of this.

Thanks for sharing it! Happy Independance Day!

You're kidding me...right?

I don't usually watch political commentary programs besides Meet the Press. I can do without the commentary most of the time and make up my own mind. However, I do like the sometimes humorous articulation he brings to his show, as well as the fact that more often than not, I agree with his opinions.

Actually, anyone who regularly calls Bill O'Reilly the worst person in the world is fine by me. And anyone who actually expresses the kind of outrage the current situation deserves instead of making excuses is worthy of my admiration. This year more than any other, its "liberty and justice for some." And at the risk of offending some here because I really do feel this strongly -- if you're not outraged right now, you're not paying attention.

^ They wear makeup.

I don't know anything about Olbermann, but...

I'm confused as to what the "qualifications" are for someone to express their views on politics or hold a job covering politics. Just because someone didn't take eight years of political science courses, does not make him or her ignorant. People are plenty capable of learning on their own.

So what if he was a sportscaster? Ronald Reagan was an actor. Bill Bradley was a basketball player.

I also find it absurd that people complain about celebrities voicing their opinions. Why can't they? If we start having qualifications for allowing people to express their political opinion, we've just wiped out freedom of speech and democracy.

I don't watch these news discussion shows, because I don't feel any need to. I can form my own opinion based on objective journalism - assuming it still exists. Still, I don't think a sportscasters' view is any less valid than anyone else's.

That said, again, I don't know anything about Olbermann. He could be a complete moron. I'm talking about in general.

Salvador, My take on the gripe about celebrities (either/or) the term "unqualified" is that I, you and probably your next door neighbor wouldn't be allowed an equal opportunity to state a political view or even give an 'expert' shave tip on the air.

Proof of that would be to call CNN or MSNBC and request your air time.

When I have seen a couple of the more vocal celebrities on a talk show or w/ Jay Leno, they sound like morons or look drunk/stoned. I wouldn't want them to walk my dog. Yet, they are held in high enough esteem by someone to be handed a microphone for their brilliant views.

Gee, I wonder who Paris Hilton and Britney Speers are going to support in 08? :biggrin1:
Sue

Actually, anyone who regularly calls Bill O'Reilly the worst person in the world is fine by me. And anyone who actually expresses the kind of outrage the current situation deserves instead of making excuses is worthy of my admiration.

Actually, I think of Olberman as nothing more than the O'Reilly of the left -- all bombast and outrage, and no substance. They are both equally craven, hiding behind the flag in order to insult those they disagree with. This clip is just more of the same from Olberman, he just took a bit longer this time to come to his usual conclusion.

You're kidding me...right?

Nope... I have seen too many things squelched in the past few years that the president may not have wanted aired...... remember Wilson and Valerie Plame?

I don't know who Olberman is or why everyone dislikes him so much... but I can respect your feelings about this... but, I am starting to get the feeling that I am the only one who is upset about Scooter Libby being freed with a possible pardon. What is the point of a legal system where the president can tell his buddies do this favor for me and I will make sure you will never see the inside of jail. It seems to me this coming on the 4th of July Holiday is just another slap in the face.

I am irate about this, my apologies to those of you who don't see a problem with this. I have no knowledge of Mr. Olberman, but anyone who is willing to express any feeling at all regardig this situation is fine by me....

If you feel that Libby's freedom on this day especially is just fine with you, then I apologize and will keep my views to myself after this rant...

Actually, I think of Olberman as nothing more than the O'Reilly of the left -- all bombast and outrage, and no substance.

I agree. That comment was more tongue-in-cheek than anything after stating that I really don't care for political commentary shows in general. But yeah, you're right. And its sad that people have to lower themselves to O'Reilly's level to get the same level of attention.

Salvador, My take on the gripe about celebrities (either/or) the term "unqualified" is that I, you and probably your next door neighbor wouldn't be allowed an equal opportunity to state a political view or even give an 'expert' shave tip on the air.

Call in to NPR. Write letters to the editorial page of your local (or national) news publication. Write a blog. You've got the opportunity -- the difference between the normal Joe and a lot of celebrities is that the celebrities more often do something about their opinions. Promote a charity, write a song, run for office, or draw attention to someone you think is being overlooked. There's a lot of political discourse going on out here, and just because you happen to know where the Dixie Chicks (or whoever) stand, I think its wrong to overstate their actual influence.

Nope... I have seen too many things squelched in the past few years that the president may not have wanted aired......

I don't know who Olberman is or why everyone dislikes him so much... but I can respect your feelings about this... but, I am starting to get the feeling that I am the only one who is upset about Scooter Libby being freed with a possible pardon. What is the point of a legal system where the president can tell his buddies do this favor for me and I will make sure you will never see the inside of jail. It seems to me this coming on the 4th of July Holiday is just another slap in the face.

I am irate about this, my apologies to those of you who don't see a problem with this. I have no knowledge of Mr. Olberman, but anyone who is willing to express any feeling at all regardig this situation is fine by me....

Mama,

I know you're not the most liberal member of the board (and I may well be), but you're not the only one whose outraged. What confuses me is the fact that if this was 1970, people would be taking to the streets in protest. When all the lies are taken together, Nixon resigned for less, and Clinton was impeached for much less. Why are we so accepting of this repeated and systematic subversion of the legal system and our founding principles? I thank you and offer my strong respect for your willingness to express your disgust. I wish more were doing the same right now.

Keith Olberman is an idiot. IMHO of course, he should have stuck to Sportscenter. I prefer my political commentators to have actual qualifications, not sportscasters. I'll pass, thank you.

+1
Darn, that was what I was going to say!

His outrage act wore thin a long time ago.

Nope... I have seen too many things squelched in the past few years that the president may not have wanted aired...... remember Wilson and Valerie Plame?

Who, or what, has been squelched? All the Plame's ever did was to revel themselves as very poor liars.

Further, if dissent is so squashed, how come there aren't some human lampshades up for sale, starting with, say, Keith Olbermann, or some matching Plame sets? Last I heard of the that pitiful duo, they were making the rounds on the Washington Cocktail circuit getting overtime on their 15 minutes of fame. Olbermann gets a $4 million contract. Some nasty repression here.

I do have to admit that Olbermann does seem to shave well. Much better then O'Reilly, or at least he seems to have a better skin care regimen. :biggrin:

Top Bottom