What's new

Oland love...

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
Finally found some vintage Avon Oland aftershave at the local Goodwill. As the title says, I love it. Even better: so does the War Department! Win win!

I really like Oland A/S, just wish it lasted longer. Trying to find some Oland cologne - thinking it might have better staying power.

FarmerTan

Ha. Got a chess piece of a King about half full of Oland for 59 cents recently at Goodwill. Nice smelling stuff.

What is its scent?

Sort of a sweet, smoky leather. Think Aramis with hints of English Leather. I used Avon Leather today and it's very close to Oland, Leather seems to be missing the tobacco/smoky vibe that Oland has.

It's a good thing I like Oland, as I have nearly 16 oz of it. (Captain's Pride, Liberty Bell and Bucking Bronco). From what I've noticed it's the most common after Wild Country.

Last edited:
What is its scent?

Yep, deep and smokey is how I'd describe it. Not as long lasting as WC, but different and nice.
I've got 18 ounces of it myself (the most of any so far), consisting of a ship-in-a-bottle, a Bucking Bronco and two chess pieces.

I have not tried that one, but some of the old Avon products are just terrific!

Give it a whirl! As masonjarjar said, it's quite common - you should be able to find a 3 oz chess piece to give it a test run with.

Sort of a sweet, smoky leather. Think Aramis with hints of English Leather. I used Avon Leather today and it's very close to Oland, Leather seems to be missing the tobacco/smoky vibe that Oland has.
It's a good thing I like Oland, as I have nearly 16 oz of it. (Captain's Pride, Liberty Bell and Bucking Bronco). From what I've noticed it's the most common after Wild Country.

Yep, deep and smokey is how I'd describe it. Not as long lasting as WC, but different and nice.
I've got 18 ounces of it myself (the most of any so far), consisting of a ship-in-a-bottle, a Bucking Bronco and two chess pieces.QUOTE]

Thanks! :001_smile

I really like Oland A/S, just wish it lasted longer. Trying to find some Oland cologne - thinking it might have better staying power.

I don't even know how many of those old aftershave scents were created as colognes. They certainly aren't as common, keep us updated as to what you've found. I'm going back to the Antique shop Saturday to find the missing camper for my Deep Woods pickup truck :) .. I believe it's there, I just didn't know they were a set.. and also maybe some more bay rum.

I like Leather better, but Oland is nice. I heard it was a clone of Old Spice Burley. I have never compared them though.

I don't have an ebay account. (Probably a good thing, as I'd be broke if I did).
I just happened to see the cool bottle Oland cologne came in, and I keep my eyes open. Might just come across one in the wild.

FarmerTan

I don't have an ebay account. (Probably a good thing, as I'd be broke if I did).
I just happened to see the cool bottle Oland cologne came in, and I keep my eyes open. Might just come across one in the wild.
I did, but it is rare here.

Just slapped on some Oland. Half empty chess piece I just snagged last week. Must have had some loss due to evaporation because it sure smells strong today! lol

Just slapped on some Oland. Half empty chess piece I just snagged last week. Must have had some loss due to evaporation because it sure smells strong today! lol
Was it cologne or aftershave? Sometimes they both come in the same decanters.

FarmerTan

I like Leather better, but Oland is nice. I heard it was a clone of Old Spice Burley. I have never compared them though.
Then that OS Burley is something I would probably like. Never smelled it back in the day, or don't recall...

First generation (I think) Queen chess piece. Brown bottle, silver head.
Usually says what's in it on the bottom label but that label falls off a lot. I don't know much about Avon decanters. I do know that on eBay, aftershave is listed as cologne and vice versa. I always ask if they didn't photo the label.

Top Bottom