What's new

Oktoberfest Beers

Tag, Wie geht es heute?

Ok, my german is a little rusty. Actually it is very rusty from being conversational at one point in time.

Anyway, it is that time of year again gents. I am a loyal drinker of Sam Adams Oktoberfest. In fact, it is one of my favorite beers. However, since it is a seasonal brew, I usually buy a case around now and nurse it until January. This year, I am looking to expand my repertoire. Can anyone recommend some good Oktoberfest beers?

Bier her, Bier her, oder ich fall um, juchhe!
Bier her, Bier her, oder ich fall um!
Soll das Bier im Keller liegen
Und ich hier die Ohnmacht kriegen?
Bier her, Bier her, oder ich fall um!

Spaten is always a good choice. They even have a beer that they brew just for Oktoberfest called, strangely enough, "Oktoberfest".

proxy.php

My personal favorite beer of all time, however, is Erdinger (turn your speakers down before you click the link).

proxy.php

There's also the list of breweries that have tents in München, available at Wikipedia. Really, you can't go wrong with any of them!

Paulaner Oktoberfest is classic as is the Spaten mentioned by GreatDane. Also be sure to check out any Märzen you may see as it is the same style as Oktoberfest (per the BJCP style guidelines.)

I'm a fan of the Sam Adams Oktoberfest as well. It's a bit unusual for the style as it has more hops than other examples.

Also, be sure to check out any of your local brewpubs as they may have their own Oktoberfest on tap.

Prost!

j.

Spaten and Paulaner are two old standbys with which you can't go wrong, but part of the fun of Oktoberfest is trying the new offerings for the season and uncovering a new gem! I say try them all!

I'd have to put the Sam Adams Oktoberfest (or October Fest, as Jim Koch decided to spell it for some reason) as one of my top five overall. Haven't had the Paulaner, but I can honestly say I've never met a Paulaner I didn't like (including their hefe, original, and doppel). Heck, I've never met one I didn't love. Looks like it's time to stop into Total Wine!

Widmer Brothers' Brewing Co. in Portland, Oregon makes an Oktoberfest that's really tasty. I don't know how widely it's distributed though. Prost!

There are only 6 "official" Oktoberfest beers poured at Wiesn (Shade!). Paulaner, Spaten, Hacker-Pschorr, Löwenbräu, Hofbräu, Augustiner.

Only 4 export their Märzen beers to the US (no Löwenbräu or Augustiner, yet). Augustiner does export a dark and light beer (Edelstoff) which is really excellent, but pricey (around $20 for a six-pack).

Hacker-Pschorr and Hofbräu are lighter and crisper. Paulaner and Spaten are darker and maltier.

I had a Sam Adams Octoberfest on tap last weekend and didn't care for it very much. Maybe the place that I had it didn't clean the line when they changed kegs but it tasted a little off. I am a big fan of Spaten and Paulander Octoberfest beers.

One of my favorite styles and I always end up forgetting which are my faves. I guess that's what happens when they are seasonal and I end up drinking so many.

I like Sam Adams, but I find after I run through a sixer or so I start to grow tired of them.

IIRC Brooklyn Brewery's, as mentioned above, is pretty solid.

I think I like the Hacker-Pschorr?

Not a huge fan of the Spaten, but it will do.

Honestly can't remember any others for the life of me right now.

I personally prefer the Hacker-Pschorr and Spaten, for the true German versions. But being in Maryland, look out for Victory FestBier. Usually it is extremely good... last year it was a little off, but the few years before that it was simply amazing.

If you can't find the Victory, Sam Adams is pretty decent, as is Saranac.

My personal favorite is from Capital Brewing Company out of Middleton, WI. But for a German example Kostritzer is pretty good. Count me as one of the people who don't find Sam Adam's example to be that great.

My personal favorite is from Capital Brewing Company out of Middleton, WI. But for a German example Kostritzer is pretty good. Count me as one of the people who don't find Sam Adam's example to be that great.

Beat me to it. Capital does a lot of nice lagers, including their O-fest.

I forgot about Weihenstephaner Fest Bier. Picked up a sixer this weekend. Not my favorite but it's pretty good, definitely like it better than Spaten.

Top Bottom