What's new

Oklahoman in search of local supplier

Hello everyone!

Second thread here and ya'll are making me feel right at home. Today was my first DE shave (you can read about it in the newbie subforum). Overall, an outstanding experience.

Posting my question in General it probably has a better chance of getting answered. I've seen several guys from Oklahoma on here and was wondering if I could tap into their knowledge (or anyone else who might be of assistance).

I'm looking for a local supplier for all the necessary goods for wetshaving. Blades, cream, etc. I know the English creams and Merkur and Feather blades are probably only found online, but I'm mainly looking for the basics if I need a quick resupply.

Personna Israeli blades I hear are highly recommended (and cheap!). Also would like to find someone locally who sells Proraso cream.

I live in Oklahoma City and have checked the following: Target, Wal-Mart Supercenter, Walgreens, and CVS Pharmacy. Any help would be appreciated.

P.S. I have a feeling I'm about to get a bad case of SCAD!!!

ScaredSafety said:
Hello everyone!

Second thread here and ya'll are making me feel right at home. Today was my first DE shave (you can read about it in the newbie subforum). Overall, an outstanding experience.

Posting my question in General it probably has a better chance of getting answered. I've seen several guys from Oklahoma on here and was wondering if I could tap into their knowledge (or anyone else who might be of assistance).

I'm looking for a local supplier for all the necessary goods for wetshaving. Blades, cream, etc. I know the English creams and Merkur and Feather blades are probably only found online, but I'm mainly looking for the basics if I need a quick resupply.

Personna Israeli blades I hear are highly recommended (and cheap!). Also would like to find someone locally who sells Proraso cream.

I live in Oklahoma City and have checked the following: Target, Wal-Mart Supercenter, Walgreens, and CVS Pharmacy. Any help would be appreciated.

P.S. I have a feeling I'm about to get a bad case of SCAD!!!

Kyle,
Welcome to B&B and be sure to pm some of us Oklahoma guys. We had our monthly COWSBG and Wives Club meeting this past Saturday at Cracker Barrell in Norman.
In response to your question, do check out Jim's link above but there are some local shops to visit. You can find it as the top sticky under the shopping forum (sorry, I should be able to do the whole link copy thing but I need to hit the sack and don't want to learn it right now). Anyway, that should show you addresses of C&E at Penn Sq Mall and Essentials in Casady Square (SW corner of Britton and Penn in NW OKC). Essentials has a stock of Truefitt and Hill as well as L'Occitane, and the word on the street is that they may soon be carrying Trumper's products as well...this place can hook you up with some high-end SCAD. Also, don't forget C&E soaps, creams and brushes. Seeing that you have checked Target, Wally, CVS, etc then you know about getting Proraso at Target, injector blades at CVS, and American Personna's at Walmart or Walgreens. All of these places should be able to keep you well stocked. Don't forget to stop by an Akin's health food store and pick up some Thayer's Rose Petal Witch Hazel (no alcohol in it) and some Tom's of Maine Mint SC in the tube. Lastly, I think you could pick up some shave cream at the Body Shop in Penn Sq Mall (I think it is there???), it is a decent performer but some don't like the scent.

Hope this helps, and don't forget to give us a call so we can let you know about our next meeting.

Almost forgot, I will be making a venture to south OKC on Wednesday to get a str8 shave from a local barber. Look for a summary sometime Wednesday afternoon or night.

If you can hijack the truck that drives to Ron's house, just once, you might be set for LIFE!

Strange though, every time I go into London's brick and mortar and ask about Ron, they say the've never heard of him. I'm pretty sure he's helping pay for their primo location!

Welcome Kyle!

Anderson barber supply is located at 1200 W Main in OKC. They have a few shaving supplies including the Merkur long-handle classic, a great razor. They also have the best price I've found on it including e-retailers. If you're near downtown, it's worth a quick trip through the shop for the razor if nothing else. Not the place to buy a brush in my opinion.

teamacacia said:
Seeing that you have checked Target, Wally, CVS, etc then you know about getting Proraso at Target, injector blades at CVS, and American Personna's at Walmart or Walgreens. All of these places should be able to keep you well stocked.

I've looked high and low in all these places...no dice. I know Walgreens and CVS have Personna Injector blades, but I've got a DE. And I really want some Proraso (heard it's a great summertime cream, with all this 105 degree heat we're getting), but the new Target in Midwest City doesn't have any. The not even 2-months old Wal-Mart supercenter in Del City has a terrible selection. Here's what I have found:

The only DE blades I've been able to find are either store brand (ie Walgreens or CVS) or Gillette Super +. Now, I don't know if the store brand ones are really Personnas under a different name, but I do know NOT to buy the American Gillette blades (really should get the Swedes, from what I've read here and other places).

As for cream, these four places don't have anything I've seen reviewed or even heard of in my research on wetshaving. But I'll definitely check out the other places.

BTW, I live in OKC, but I'm so close to all the new shopping places in Midwest City and Del City, I frequent there. If you can give specific stores (ie WalMart, Target, Walgreens, and CVS) around the metro, it would be a huge help.

BOOMER SOONER!!!

Hi Kyle!
Welcome to B&B and the Central Oklahoma Wet Shavers and Breakfast Club! If you are stuck for blades, for the time being send me a PM and I'll spell you with either some ASRs, Derby, Feathers , Merkur, or "Swedish" Euro Gillettes until you can get some of what you want from an etailer.
If you like I'll put you on our PM list for COWSBC meetings. We'll be having one or two in August on a Saturday morning. While I am guessing, probably at Dennies on Main Street at the east frontage road on I-35 for one and maybe another at Jimmy's Egg in Casady Sq (short walk for a field trip to one of our few local retail outlets, Essentials).

Welcome aboard. I was going to mention Anderson's Barber Supply. Long handle Murkur for $27. Astra blades (I like 'em) 5 for $1.35. Pinaud's. Osage Rub. Anderson's isn't the cheapest store, but I love it. It's a barbershop history lesson every time you enter. Mr Anderson sold me a badger brush that I need to show Ron when I am finally able to attend a brunch. I retired it after 15 years. It was stored as directed in the soap mug for the entire time and cleaned out maybe twice. I don't remember how stiff it was when new, but it has absolutely no body now. It was recently replaced with the C&E $35 old standby. Again, welcome.:001_smile

Keep in mind that the Proraso at Target isn't in the toilettries section with the other 'shave' creams. It is in the 'beauty' section that also has the perfums and colognes... in my Target that's over by the jewelry and watches.

ada8356 said:
Keep in mind that the Proraso at Target isn't in the toilettries section with the other 'shave' creams. It is in the 'beauty' section that also has the perfums and colognes... in my Target that's over by the jewelry and watches.

Thanks for the tip!!! Didn't even cross my mind to check there. Speaking of Proraso, how well does it do with a brush? Does it lather well and rinse clean, or does it gum up the brush?

ScaredSafety said:
Thanks for the tip!!! Didn't even cross my mind to check there. Speaking of Proraso, how well does it do with a brush? Does it lather well and rinse clean, or does it gum up the brush?
I find the citole verde soap fine. I noted "residual" something or other from the cream, but have not really used it enough to determine if it is going to prove a problem though. Good lathering by both products. Pleasant menthol cooling.

Thanks for the help guys!!! I'm going to run by Target this evening to hopefully pick up some Proraso. YES!!! I can feel the cool right now!!! I'll try to PM you Okies here in a little bit. And for the rest of ya'll, visit Oklahoma sometime. We have lots of wind, heat, and ... well, I'll get back to you. JK Proud to be an Oklahoman!

Finally found the Proraso at Target. Picked it up along with some Proraso pre-shave and :redface: (don't laugh too hard) Michael Jordan cologne.:redface:

I know, I know. "How juvenile." But my wife LOVES the stuff on me. As soon as she catches a whiff, HELLO!!! One bottle has lasted me since I received it as a graduation gift...in eighth grade! I honestly didn't think you could buy it anymore. But knowing I had only a few sprays left of my "money" fragrance, I snatched it up.

So, a great SCAD day. Can hardly wait until morning.

Top Bottom