What's new

Oklahoma City, OK

Here are the places for shaving kit in central Oklahoma that I have found:
Essentials, Casady Square, Oklahoma City, OK 73120 405-842-6401
Crabtree & Evelyn, Penn Square Mall, Oklahoma City, OK 73118 405-842-4248

I've shopped both and I am happy to report good products and good staff at both stores!

Here are the places for shaving kit in central Oklahoma that I have found:
Essentials, Casady Square, Oklahoma City, OK 73120 405-842-6401
Crabtree & Evelyn, Penn Square Mall, Oklahoma City, OK 73118 405-842-4248

I've shopped both and I am happy to report good products and good staff at both stores!

I live in OKC...and Essentials is good...they will sometimes order stuff for you if you ask...Of course I have been buying stuff there for a long time and the owner likes me..:biggrin:

You can find some nice products at Akins Natural Foods Markets such as Kiss My Face, Toms of Maine, Thayer's witch hazel and Lucky Tiger products. (Lucky Tiger products are half of what Dillards sells them for). The OKC stores are at N. May & NE 63rd St., and 2370 W. Memorial Rd up near Quails Springs Mall. If you like to experiment with fragrance they have a good selection of essential oils. As always if you are a member of B&B you know more about shaving products than they do, but they are all nice helpful folks at the stores, IMO.

I have not been to Essentials. They are listed as a independent retailer on the Crabtree & Evelyn website so I guess they sell C&E products. Akins Natural Foods Markets has two locations in Tulsa. Thanks for the Basketball team.

Found another small retailer in OKC for shave supplies.

Tobacco Exchange
French Market Mall
2836 A, NW 63rd
Oklahoma City, OK 73116.

They are a small shop tucked in by the Burlington Coat Factory in that strip center at 63rd and May. Two nice ladies to visit with when I went in this afternoon. I believe they are just starting to carry DE supplies. Mainly Col Conk products, one style of brush, four or five types of soaps (I remember one was lime), a few bottles of Conk's Bay Rum, and other odds and ends. I purchased a puck of Almond for $5.95, (the other soaps were $3.95) A puck of soap, a fine cigar, with a pleasant staff to boot, its a start. Stop in and say HI and encourage them to continue to carry shaving supplies.

Carwin's Shave Shop
Northpark Mall in Winter House Interiors
12224 N. May Ave.
751-2800

They stock T&H, Col. Conk, C&E, and Jack Black products; Merkur classics, LHCs and HDs plus blades, and Dovo straights. I think the brushes were Simpson's? It's a really small shop, but the selection is nice.

Essentials' in Oklahoma City is have their Fall Birthday Sale sale this weekend from Thursday, Oct 23 to Saturday Oct 25. Normal hours are 10am to 5:30pm. Twenty (20) percent discounts storewide. Includes C&E, L’Occitane, Caswell-Massey, Truefitt & Hill and many other brands. They have received some new brushes in from the last buying trip to NYC. If you shop there you should have got the post card and email. Very nice ladies.

They are located in Casady Square (Brittin Rd and Penn?) and you can call them at 405-842-6401 or Toll Free 1-877-291-7351.

Thanks for the info! I just moved to Enid, OK and I'm sure I'll be making a trip into the city soon.

Cheers,
Steve

I wanted to post a thread dealing specifically with my visit to Carwin's Shave Shop in Oklahoma City and give some real details. My thanks to the author of the original thread mentioning this store.

The lady who helped us, Lisa, was very enthused about the topic and is interested in passing information and recommendations to the owner, a gentleman who apparently intends to open his own independent traditional shave salon and store in the future. Right now, the store is located in Winterhouse Interiors, on the north side of NorthPark Mall on May Ave.

I knew I'd be posting about my visit, so I wrote down what I saw, sort of an inventory, while I was there.

There was a complete line of Crabtree and Evelyn, including cream, lotions, shaving soaps and brushes.
There was a thorough selection of Jack Black products.
Caswell Masey was well represented with scents and soaps.
There were some very expensive Concord brushes
There was line of men's care products called Anthony Logistics
There a few Dr. Hunter washes.
There was a skincare line called Nickel.
There were Col. Conk Soaps and mugs, as well as a strop set.
There were Dovo straights.
The DE Safety razors were Merkurs, just a few. I bought a chrome Merkur HD, 42 bucks.
The razor blades were Merkur and Dovo.

I made a few recommendations to Lisa that she wrote down for the owner. First, carry more razor blades, specifically Derby, Crystal, Feather and Red Personna. She wrote those down.
I invited the owner to visit this forum and jump on in.
I mentioned Trumper's products, Mitchell's wool fat, Tabac, Speik, Ogallala and D.R. Harris' full line, JM Frazer and Proraso, but by then Lisa was nodding and asking if I'd like a job! She was nice, one of the main interior decorators for the main store.
And I hope he gets in a much wider selection of Merkur safety razors, as well as more brushes like Simpson and Tweezerman.

If you are in the Oklahoma City area, stop by and see these folks. They are doing the one thing you so rarely see in brick and mortar specialty shops - they are really trying, and they are asking questions.

I'm glad to have this information, and will pay a visit.

Also, I have been to Essentials in Casady Square. The ladies are very helpful and they have the high end products such as (IF memory serves) Harris, T&H, Jack Black, some Musgo A/S (they ordered some Musgo S/C for me) and others I can't recall, because there were several on the well-stocked shelves. I'm planning a buying trip in the next few days.

This is a follow-up. The Musgo-ordering experience went flat on me. I called for a status about once a week for the first 3 weeks, then I hit the jackpot so-to-speak on ebay and scored 3 brand new tubes of Musgo Real at a very attractive price. That's when I forgave the very always sweet and kind ladies at Essentials, and wrote it off to cosmic forces making me wait for the real bargain to come along.

I certainly haven't written off Essentials. I hope that maybe there will be enough of us stopping by and asking, that they'll order some Trumper's, Mitchell's, Irisch Moos/Tabac, DR Harris, etc., maybe do a re-order of some of the existing lines, in a true variety of fragrances that people like to buy, at reasonable prices. I know I don't mind at all paying a couple of bucks more if I can take it home with me, as opposed to buying off the www.

Plus, I know that it has got to be expensive for a sole proprietor to sink some big bucks into inventory that people may or may not want to buy. What they really need, in my humble opinion as a guy, is a wet-shaving geek like YOU or (me) to take it on as a kind of shaving mission, helping them stock what actually sells and sells again, and maybe even elevate the shaving line into a web-based mail order entity. Doesn't that sound exciting?

I don't see it mentioned, but I've been going to Bath & Body Works ever since my daughter told me about the shaving stuff they carry. The COBigelow Barber line is OK, and I've got several of my daily routine products there. The big green tube of COBgelow (Proraso) Shaving Cream is legendary.

Stopped by Essentials in Casady Square today and was happy to see they have added some Lucky Tiger products. I have been using the Aftershave Toner for a long time and like it a lot, especially in the winter. As always the ladies were great and gave me a few samples. They been in business over 25 years, but I do agree a shave geek would help.

Also stopped by Carwins Shave Shop. Nice variety of items, a bit cramped, but well organized. Carwins is a bit hard to find as its entrance is the furniture store. Carwins has been there around a year I believe. A nice lady tried to help but was a little lost when I ask for a shave cream sample. She kept tying to give me items like a face mask. I politely refused and she did finally find a shave creme sample.

I am listing the address again for those who haven't visited these shops.

Essentials
Casady Squire
9225 N. Pennsylvania Place
Oklahoma City, OK 73120
405-842-6401 or 877-291-7351

Carwins Shave Shop
@ Winter House Home Furnishings
Northpark Mall
12224 North May Ave.
Oklahoma City, OK 73120
405-751-2800

Right now, starting yesterday 4-30-09, ending tomorrow, 5-2-09, Essentials is having their semi-annual 20% off sale. The shaving supplies I saw yesterday were as follows: A fully stocked C&E line, consisting of the newly reformulated Sienna, Sandalwood, and Nomad products, which means the tubs of shaving cream, shaving soap in the bowl and without the bowl, bath soap, and colognes; Truefitt & Hill in 5 fragrances, 1805, Rose, Grafton, Trafalgar, and Limes, shaving cream in the tub and in the tube, and of course, T&H Luxury soap with and without the bowl, in addition to several of the fragrances in cologne.

They also have a shelf devoted to what appears to be the full line of Musgo Real products. They also have L'Occitane creams and soaps, Lucky Tiger products, Caswell Massey, Edwin Jagger/Muele soaps, and Jack Black, if you're into that sort of thing. As we've mentioned before, the ladies are wonderful, and will discuss special orders of any of the lines they carry, if they don't have it in stock. I may be wrong, but I understand the sale prices apply if you call them on the phone today or tomorrow also. (405-842-6401 or 877-291-7351)

Are these places still open? I will be traveling to OKC next week and was hoping to shop around in my off time. Thanks!

Are these places still open? I will be traveling to OKC next week and was hoping to shop around in my off time. Thanks!

Here's what I know:

• Essentials is still in place at Casady Square, Penn & Britton on the west side of Penn, and doing fine. The ladies stay busy, and they will try their very best to help a customer. Last time I stopped by, the one I spoke to was very kind, and she made a point to tell me that there is a website that all the guys who are interested in shaving go, I asked her what it's called, and she immediately said "Badger and Blade!". Beyond cool, in my book. You've got to stop by there, if you have the time. Their shaving stock constantly changes and evolves. There's no telling what you might find there. Tell them a guy from B&B named Gary sent you! They don't know me from Adam, I don't talk a lot when I'm shopping there, but obviously some of the other guys do, and it will really make their day.
  • Carwin's is still inside North Park Mall, it's located inside Winter House
  • Penn Square Mall has 2 shops that sell shaving goods, Bath & Body Works, and The Body Shop (obviously, Crabtree & Evelyn is long gone)
  • There is a new little shop at 7101 N May, west side of the street, I can't tell you the name, and they primarily have a ton of cigars, tobacco, and (I think) coffee, and on the counter, next to the cash register, is a little (tiny) cabinet, where they keep a few Trumpers shaving products, soaps in wooden bowls mainly, but not a big variety, at least the last time I stopped by. Their focus is the cigars of course, and if you're into good cigars or pipe tobacco, that is the place to go.

Here's what I know:

• Essentials is still in place at Casady Square, Penn & Britton on the west side of Penn, and doing fine. The ladies stay busy, and they will try their very best to help a customer. Last time I stopped by, the one I spoke to was very kind, and she made a point to tell me that there is a website that all the guys who are interested in shaving go, I asked her what it's called, and she immediately said "Badger and Blade!". Beyond cool, in my book. You've got to stop by there, if you have the time. Their shaving stock constantly changes and evolves. There's no telling what you might find there. Tell them a guy from B&B named Gary sent you! They don't know me from Adam, I don't talk a lot when I'm shopping there, but obviously some of the other guys do, and it will really make their day.
  • Carwin's is still inside North Park Mall, it's located inside Winter House
  • Penn Square Mall has 2 shops that sell shaving goods, Bath & Body Works, and The Body Shop (obviously, Crabtree & Evelyn is long gone)
  • There is a new little shop at 7101 N May, west side of the street, I can't tell you the name, and they primarily have a ton of cigars, tobacco, and (I think) coffee, and on the counter, next to the cash register, is a little (tiny) cabinet, where they keep a few Trumpers shaving products, soaps in wooden bowls mainly, but not a big variety, at least the last time I stopped by. Their focus is the cigars of course, and if you're into good cigars or pipe tobacco, that is the place to go.

Thanks for the info on town visiting family for the holidays and running low on GFT so I have a reason to run out to these stores and check them out.

Top Bottom