What's new

Okay so what should I buy?

I got a little Xmas money to spend, I already dropped some cash on 1 out of my 2 must have razors. A 1930s Gillette NEW bar handle long comb. For those of you that have these can you tell me what I can expect from this razor? As some of you know, I'm a mild razor guy. I really wanted a NEW bar handle razor for the longest time..pretty much since I first saw one. I don't really know the difference between LC vs SC. Did I make the right decision buying the LC or did I let my RAD and excitement get the better of me?

I have a little bit left and I'd like some recommendations on a good shaving soap and either Best badger brush or silver tip badger brush. I have about a $30-40 budget for the brush and the rest of my money I was gonna use on a good soap or maybe those PolSilver SI blades.

Here's what soaps/brushes I have:

Brushes

VDH badger brush
Kingsley pure badger brush
Cheapy Omega boars hair brush
Burma Shave bristle brush

My favorite brush out of this bunch, believe it or not, is the VDH badger brush. The Burma Shave brush sheds hairs like a cat, the Kingsley Pure badger doesn't really have enough backbone to it. The Omega brush is huge and it sure does eat up soap like no other. It's also too stiff for my liking, and smells pretty bad even after having it for awhile. Those last 3 see very little use. The VDH brush is the one I use the most. I'd like to have a nice best or silver tip badger that's gonna withstand the test of time and perform better than my other ones. One with enough backbone, yet soft. And one that isn't gonna hog down my soap. So any recommendations? I've done a little research...but I'm so overwhelmed at the choices there are...figured I'd come here to ask you guys first. I'd like to keep it under $40 if possible.

Soaps

Proraso Green in tub
Proraso Red in tub
C.O. Bigelow in tube
TOBS coconut
VDH luxury shave soap

I'm a fan of the soaps in tubs. I usually don't lather my proraso in a separate bowl, I just face lather it. I have to bowl lather the VDH, TOBS which I don't mind. I'd like to try a scent that's not similar to the ones I have. I have about a $30 budget for soaps. I tried Arko shaving sticks before...and I almost threw up at the scent of it. To me it smells like a dirty urinal. If I can't figure out a soap I may have to try some new razor blades instead.

Thanks for any help, and Merry Christmas to all!

For $40 or less you can get some really fine synthetic brushes which feel and work as well as Badger hair, including a couple from Omega which mimic Boar hair. Proraso and C.O. Bigelow are the same soap, so you are really only choosing between Proraso. TOBS (which is really a cream), and VDH. Personally, I would go for the TOBS because of the scent choices. For your $30, you could get a couple of different TOBS scents.

My favorite razor is the New LC. It is a little aggressive but not intimidating. Take your time and remeber your technique. Pay special attention to lock your wrist and TAKE YOUR TIME. You may get a couple of weepers but taking our time will minimize it. You do not want to quit on this fabulous razor because it was " too aggressive" due to poor technique.

As for a badger brush I would recommend a Whipped Dog Silvertip or something with a TGN Finest knot in it. Synthetics are good but none of them replicate a badger. They are just different, like boars, horse, mixed hair brushes.

As to your question of what you can expect of your NEW LC and whether you made the right decision, that depends on many factors including the condition of the razor you bought, your beard, water, soap, set up, etc.. I use almost exclusively a NEW LC or SC with Feather blades; for my beard with this setup, they each provide a soft, smooth, sharp and highly controllable shave. The SC might be more aggressive, but for me only minimally more so than the LC. When I use either of them I think it's the best which I guess is why I use both of them exclusively at this point over my couple of others (mostly later super speeds).

As to a soap, my recommendation would be to try a tallow-based hard soap such as any D.R. Harris, or Tabac or Mitchell's Wool Fat.

As for brushes, though I see you want a best or silver tip badger, you can't go wrong with a Semogue 610 or 620 boar. Either will have the backbone and, once broken in, softness you are looking for and each is within your price range.

Good luck, Merry Christmas and Happy New Year.

I'd get a razorock plissoft synthetic brush and a tub of Cellla. If you like proraso you'll really like Cella. Cella is also a lather monster when face lathering. The plissoft also compliments the face lathering nicely.

I ended up getting a sampler on Amazon to try from Col. Conk...almond, lime, amber, bay rum. It was pretty cheap so I thought what the heck just to try it. I may pick up some more TOBS..what scents do you guys recommend? Could you guys provide me links to some sites with good brushes to check out...if that's allowed?

I'd say my beard is fairly heavy in growth. I hope the NEW LC won't be as aggressive as the Fatip razor I had. I'm looking forward to using it!

What's Cella smell like?

Top Bottom