What's new

"Okay boomer..."

Why should I listen to them? They don't listen to me.

Seriously, I'm retired. They need to go fix the world themselves.

Over generalizations and stooping down to someone’s level doesn’t really move the conversation in a productive direction. It was said that listening would get a better response. This is spot on and is so important in almost everything we do. Talking with my son, if I cut him off and otherwise show him that I don’t want to listen to what he has to say, then he shuts down and there is no discussion whatsoever. Last night he repeatedly told me that he appreciates that I was listening to what he had to say even though what I said in response was not what he wanted to hear. I told him I’d never just tell him what he wants to hear. He can always count on hearing what I truly think and my honest reaction. He responded quite favorably to that and we ended with him saying that I gave him a lot to think about. From my point of view that is a successful conversation. I’ve learned in business that when the communication stops, the deal falls apart. Same goes for everyday issues and discussions.

Paul is one of the best base players you've never heard of. he also was very involved/worked for Tower Records The Life And Death Of Tower Records, Revisited - https://www.npr.org/sections/therecord/2015/10/20/450038047/the-life-and-death-of-tower-records-revisited . He has a record collection that is second to noView attachment 1035213

You can hear that in a 1994 promotional video from Russ Solomon, in which Solomon says: "As for the whole concept of beaming something into one's home, that may come along someday, that's for sure. But it will come along over a long period of time, and we'll be able to deal with it and change our focus and change the way we do business. As far as your CD collection — and our CD inventory, for that matter — it's going to be around for a long, long time, believe me."

OK boomer.
Alexa! Play Hoodoo Man Blues!

I'm a Boomer, and to tell the truth I was the Grasshopper in Aesop's Grasshopper and the Ant story. I had more fun than you could shake a stick at. I'd trade a job any day for a good party. It took a long minute to get my act together. Someone asked Martin Mull what the 1970's were like. He responded that he didn't really remember them. By contrast my daughters have their lives pretty much in check. They have done better than I did. To see my children as an improvement is a good thing.

Just to add: My rent was $90 bucks a month. You could buy a $50 car you could run into the ground and get another. If I needed money I could go out and cut a truck load of wood and sell it for $65 dollars. I could also walk into Manpower and pick up temp jobs at factories. That way I didn't have to work if I didn't want to. I did this all without ever starving, having a ride, or being homeless. You couldn't do this now days with rents starting $1,500 a month

I don't disagree. I'm not disparaging all the young folks. I have 3 kids (older kids that are doing just fine). Why? Because they show up in all facets of life. I'm 65 and worked all those jobs you did - plus some. I wasn't born with silver spoon in my mouth. I put myself thru college while working. You get what you put into it. Does stuff go south sometimes. Yup. So you get up and move forward. I also agree that it's a different world now, tougher in some ways, very easy in others. But in my time (yours) if you weren't on time and/or didn't show up - your fired. That's not to much to ask. It's basic. Now they get babied and the manager has to get along with them not the other way around. I know I was a manager 15+ years ago when G-Xers were coming of age. My son is one now. He's says the same thing. I got sent to charm school (me and many others) to learn how to motivate (baby) them. As I indicated above not all of them are this way. Many get it. A hell of a lot don't and have an attitude you owe me problem. Hey I'm retired and crabby, qualify for discount biscuits and gravy, and get to spout off (and ignored). Life is good....

Over generalizations and stooping down to someone’s level doesn’t really move the conversation in a productive direction. It was said that listening would get a better response. This is spot on and is so important in almost everything we do. Talking with my son, if I cut him off and otherwise show him that I don’t want to listen to what he has to say, then he shuts down and there is no discussion whatsoever. Last night he repeatedly told me that he appreciates that I was listening to what he had to say even though what I said in response was not what he wanted to hear. I told him I’d never just tell him what he wants to hear. He can always count on hearing what I truly think and my honest reaction. He responded quite favorably to that and we ended with him saying that I gave him a lot to think about. From my point of view that is a successful conversation. I’ve learned in business that when the communication stops, the deal falls apart. Same goes for everyday issues and discussions.

You just proved my point.

Just to add: You could buy a $50 car you could run into the ground and get another.

I knew many guys in high school and college in the 1960's who did just that. The first car my cousin and I chipped in together to buy in 1963, was a '54 Chevy that cost $50. When his parents and my parents said "not at our house", we sold it to a friend for $100. He drove it from his senior year of high school until he graduated college. When I met my wife in college in 1968, she and her friend were living in a nice 1BR/1BA apartment for $90 a month. After we were married, the rent in our first 2BR/1BA newly built apartment in the early 70's with our daughter was $125. Salaries were crap, but expenses were much lower and a young couple could manage far better than today.

Raven Koenes

My precious!
I don't disagree. I'm not disparaging all the young folks. I have 3 kids (older kids that are doing just fine). Why? Because they show up in all facets of life. I'm 65 and worked all those jobs you did - plus some. I wasn't born with silver spoon in my mouth. I put myself thru college while working. You get what you put into it. Does stuff go south sometimes. Yup. So you get up and move forward. I also agree that it's a different world now, tougher in some ways, very easy in others. But in my time (yours) if you weren't on time and/or didn't show up - your fired. That's not to much to ask. It's basic. Now they get babied and the manager has to get along with them not the other way around. I know I was a manager 15+ years ago when G-Xers were coming of age. My son is one now. He's says the same thing. I got sent to charm school (me and many others) to learn how to motivate (baby) them. As I indicated above not all of them are this way. Many get it. A hell of a lot don't and have an attitude you owe me problem. Hey I'm retired and crabby, qualify for discount biscuits and gravy, and get to spout off (and ignored). Life is good....
Pssst, my millennial daughters say many of the same thing about their generation that you are.

I feel completely ripped off . . . the "Boomer" generation is generally accepted to have ended by 1964. My issue is that, being born in late '64, I am really too young to be a "boomer", and too old to be a Gen-Xer?

Where's MY label?

Your still a boomer (very late). Gen X started in 65.

Raven Koenes

My precious!
I knew many guys in high school and college in the 1960's who did just that. The first car my cousin and I chipped in together to buy in 1963, was a '54 Chevy that cost $50. When his parents and my parents said "not at our house", we sold it to a friend for $100. He drove it from his senior year of high school until he graduated college. When I met my wife in college in 1968, she and her friend were living in a nice 1BR/1BA apartment for $90 a month. After we were married, the rent in our first 2BR/1BA newly built apartment in the early 70's with our daughter was $125. Salaries were crap, but expenses were much lower and a young couple could manage far better than today.
:thumbup1: Thank you for sharing. I can still remember using coat hangers to secure parts on the car and the smell of exhaust. My first car was a 55.

Um, no. But you keep thinking that.

You claim to be such a good listener, but you didn't show that you'd read a single thing I posted in this thread before you gave your lecture... Ok, boomer. I see what the kids mean. In the interests of maintaining harmony, I'll be quiet on the subject... until I'm not.

:thumbup1: Thank you for sharing. I can still remember using coat hangers to secure parts on the car and the smell of exhaust. My first car was a 55.

I hate to admit it, but to this day I still keep a coat hanger and wire cutter in the trunk of my car. I haven't had to wire a muffler or tail pipe on a road trip in 40+ years, but old habits die hard. Once bitten, twice shy.

Last edited:
Pssst, my millennial daughters say many of the same thing about their generation that you are.

Raven it gives me no solace. I'm not a cold hearted guy. I do fear for them, my grand kids, and for those yet to come. To many mixed messages out there now. For one. The internet began as I wonderful tool and now it has a morphed in something else with many tentacles and corrupting facets. If I could have just one wish; it would be to bring back the phone booth, penny candy, and the typing pool. That would surely solve this mess..... (Aw-shucks I guess that was three wishes)

kelbro

Alfred Spatchcock
There were so many changes in the world during the Boomer generation. Those changes seemed to follow an exponential curve compared to prior generations. They do seem to have tapered off in the later generations.

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
Foreign militaries have developed a code that the millennial U.S. military has not been able to crack yet.

1573866071767.png

Top Bottom