What's new

"Okay boomer..."

Raven Koenes

My precious!
I saw, "the only band that matters" at Massey Hall in Toronto. It was a wild night, with a little property damage, and just before they went massive with the release of London Calling.
:punk: There was nothing on God's green earth quite like hearing Armagideon Time (Kick it Over) live bouncing off the walls of a close knit Hall.

Massey Hall seats a couple thou, and has great acoustics. High energy show, rambunctious crowd, what's not to love. Wish I could remember the opening act.

Also regret not going to the only Mescaleros show that came to Toronto, because Joe died before coming back.

I'm on the tail end of the boomers and I have three older boomer brothers. When we get together for reunions it's one big boom. I'm going to dinner and a play with my oldest brother next weekend and I'm going to have to try and use "ok boomer" on him. See if it gets any reaction. Odds are, he won't hear it the first time and I'll have to repeat it.

If you don't chastise him at least 15min for all mankind wrongdoings before closing in with "OK Boomer" at his stuttering replies, you're using it wrong.

Well for this late Boomer (1965), it was the "only band that mattered" that Joe really made his mark. That would be the Clash, of course. They were singing protest songs for Boomers and Gen X. I did enjoy the Mescaleros, but the Clash were it for me in the late 70's, early 80's.

This 1946 boomer was thankful that the Clash, Pogues & Sex Pistols resuscitated that boring 70's music, into the mid 1980's. I was even more thankful for the resurgence of paddy-punk bands, started (IMO) by Black47, from the early 1990's into mid the 2000's. I have many paddy-punk cd's from that period from US, Canada, England, Norway, Germany & Japan. Too bad, there are few bands left to save us from today's slop that they call music. Thankfully a few, relatively unknown, paddy-punk bands survived.

Last edited:

Raven Koenes

My precious!
This 1946 boomer was thankful that the Clash, Pogues & Sex Pistols resuscitated that boring 70's music, into the mid 1980's. I was even more thankful for the resurgence of paddy-punk bands, started (IMO) by Black47, from the early 1990's into mid the 2000's. I have many paddy-punk cd's from that period from US, Canada, England, Norway, Germany & Japan. Too bad, there are few bands left to save us from today's slop that they call music. Thankfully a few, relatively unknown, paddy-punk bands survived.
I was born in 1959. Thanks, I'll have to check out Black47. They are still currently releasing music but I like, although non-punk, Brian Jonestown Massacre, Black Rebel Motorcycle Club, The Black Angels, Plus some Shoe Gaze bands from the UK. I believe they are all GenX. The pickings are slim.

Last edited:
For me they were with out a doubt the Beatles of punk/ska. I saw them twice. Once in a small community Civic Center. the other time in a huge stadium warming up for The Who.

View attachment 1034570
I saw, "the only band that matters" at Massey Hall in Toronto. It was a wild night, with a little property damage, and just before they went massive with the release of London Calling.

Them were some good times, eh gents?! I saw the Clash 3 times, the last was the Mick Jones-less Clash in 1984 (ticket stub survived). I don't have all of my old ticket stubs, but it is fun to look through them on occasion and see a musical history of the time. Too bad one can't get a real concert ticket any longer...

IMG_3927.jpeg

There has been some decent music since, but it takes a lot of hard work to find. We are very fortunate here in St. Louis, MO to have a terrific public radio station KDHX 88.1. You can find just about any genre commercial free 24 hours a day. I highly recommend to anyone to find them online to stream. Terrific stuff and my buddy has the 2-4pm Central time spot every Wednesday afternoon spinning soulful funk and funky soul. Good stuff.

Raven Koenes

My precious!
Them were some good times, eh gents?! I saw the Clash 3 times, the last was the Mick Jones-less Clash in 1984 (ticket stub survived). I don't have all of my old ticket stubs, but it is fun to look through them on occasion and see a musical history of the time. Too bad one can't get a real concert ticket any longer...

View attachment 1034606

There has been some decent music since, but it takes a lot of hard work to find. We are very fortunate here in St. Louis, MO to have a terrific public radio station KDHX 88.1. You can find just about any genre commercial free 24 hours a day. I highly recommend to anyone to find them online to stream. Terrific stuff and my buddy has the 2-4pm Central time spot every Wednesday afternoon spinning soulful funk and funky soul. Good stuff.
Awesome! You're in the club. :punk: Thanks for the hook up to KDHX 88.1

View attachment 1034606

Saw them twice in 79 but no sure what became of my ticket stubs.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

God, I haven't thought about Black47 in probably 20 years! I miss those days!

BTW, as a proud Gen-Xer I can be neutral in this debate, but this is I think the definitive explanation of why OK Boomer resonates with the youths. Girlfriend Explains Why “OK Boomer” Became A Thing & She’s Spot On - https://www.boredpanda.com/twitter-user-perfectly-explains-boomers/?utm_source=google&utm_medium=organic&utm_campaign=organic

I never said millenials were just lazy. There are plenty of other things wrong with them, too.

BTW, as a proud Gen-Xer I can be neutral in this debate, but this is I think the definitive explanation of why OK Boomer resonates with the youths. Girlfriend Explains Why “OK Boomer” Became A Thing & She’s Spot On - https://www.boredpanda.com/twitter-user-perfectly-explains-boomers/?utm_source=google&utm_medium=organic&utm_campaign=organic

That's a good post.
People who don't care about facts, evidence, or reality come in all ages, unfortunately, but now, apparently, when those people are of a certain age range, there is a handy shorthand way for others to express dissatisfaction with their attitude.

The actual solution to this problem, of course, is for one to use critical thinking skills to consider whether evidence unfamiliar to one's current way to thinking is valid, and possibly cause a change in one's opinion. It is difficult but worthwhile.

I never said millenials were just lazy. There are plenty of other things wrong with them, too.

Do tell. We will all be interested to hear this.

shavefan

I’m not a fan

Thanks for the link, very interesting.

How did we Gen-Xers manage to escape most of the generational antipathy?

Reckon I'm a Gen-Xer. Boomers create good music, good booze, and other things that matter. Gens Y and Z or whatever are underwhelming and need to get off the Boomers lawns. Mine too.

Top Bottom