What's new

Ok, What Have I Got?

Let me cut to the chase here. I think this is a mid ‘40’s to post war Aristocrat; a transition model.

-no notched center bar
-no patent info inside
-no crease in the bottom plate
-no date code
-missing end caps
19CD6A70-C18C-4C51-B623-869FA83D5325.jpeg
BFC84094-52FF-469D-B010-6FB172418148.jpeg
8B65EDE1-8FBE-459D-96BA-F4044459A2E1.jpeg
5B3CAB55-1FE6-4B39-8311-A2D6E822635B.jpeg

Comments?

Last edited:
Google will turn up more info if you're interested. FYI, mr-razor is a wealth of vintage Gillette info.

View attachment 1467471
Thanks AlphaFrank75!

Yes, that was one of the sources I used to ID this. I read a lot of old posts here on B&B, eliminated possibilities, and came to the conclusion that it's not a Regent Tech.

It was probably made when Gillette was changing back from making carburetor parts to making razors. They were probably pulling parts out of bins, dusting them off, putting them together, and shipping razors out the door again.

In the pics it looks like the end caps are missing. I don't believe it came that way. IMHO it is likely a 46-48. A very nice razor that provides a very comfortable shave. Have you used it?

Yes, seeing the photo’s on mr-razor’s website and after reading a bunch of old posts here on B&B I figured it started out life as a mixed part Aristocrat.

People in some of the old posts were pretty adamant that no patent info inside = Regent Tech, period!

Despite not having the patent statement inside I ruled out a Regent Tech because who would solder end caps, (even though they’re missing now,) on a Regent Tech?

The TTO knob is sloppy, the center bar is slightly tilted, and there’s some bare brass spots inside, but I’ve got worse ones than this one. ;)

I haven’t tried shaving with it yet, I’m hoping it’s mild to medium.

Despite some of the linkage being out of kilter, when the doors are closed the visible gap where the edge of the blade shows is “short” and even from left to right. (on both sides)

I may send it off for a tune-up and have the end caps replaced. I’m not so sure about a full re-plate, though.

RE has a video which is extremely informative as to the Regent Tech.

I am in no way endorsing Matt's business or products, but he often does history well.

This chimes into my knowledge of US watime economic history. In the summer of 1944 the Allies believed the Nazi regime would collapse in weeks, this belief was very strong in August 1944 after the breakout from Normandy into the depths of France and the Wehrmacht's apparent collapse. It involved very large slashes in armament orders, especially artillery ammunition and many other items.

The German recovery in October 1944 and the subsequent battles in the Saar and the Hurtgen Forest, and the December German offensive in the Ardennes region caused US industry to urgently ramp up production again.

The US domestic economy was caught up in the Summer of 1944 with the belief that the war was almost over. This caused a temporary increase in domestic consumables being made available. I think the Regent Tech is tied up in this.

Last edited by a moderator:
In my opinion it only depends on the case.
We do not know when endcaps were actually introduced, when Aristocrat production resumed or wether some Regents had endcaps or not.

Either way, a very nice, no nonsense shaver like a Super Speed only with a heavier, and large diameter handle that has great, grippy knurling topped with the same rounded shaving head like a Fat Boy--just lacking the complicated adjustability it doesn't really need. I always get great auto-pilot shaves with my '46 and next to my Fat Boys, one of my favorite razors.

Top Bottom