What's new

ok, ok, ok, Fougere.

I have finally smelled one incantation of Fougere, the Queen Charlotte Soaps version, and I am hooked....Is the QCS Fougere more mild? stronger? Different than most? Tell me what you think!

Did you try the hard soap or the cream (croap)? The scent of the cream is a bit stronger than the soap. This is my favorite soap right now! Green, sweet, with delicate spice. Absolutely love it.

The only other Fougere I've tried is MdC. I don't like the scent as much as I like QCS, but it has been growing on me each time I use it. It's a more subtle scent for sure. Subtle in character, not strength. It's definitely strong and present while you shave, but does not linger afterward. QCS cream's scent does linger for a while, and that's a good thing.

I personally think QCS fougere smells great. My biggest problem is deciding between the cream (croap) and the hard soap. Have used a sample size of the soap, and it does quite well. Have had a sample of MdC fougere shaving soap; had hoped it would smell like the MdC fougere hand soap but it did not - smells like citrus to me. Have had a sample of Topanga; nice but like the smell of QCS better. Have had a sample of TOBS Jermyn Street cream (a "modern fougere"); also very nice and with what I think is more pronounced oak moss scent but a bit faint. Understand there is a Jermyn Street soap but I have not tried it. Have not tried the new Valobra hard puck; heard good things about the lather but not much good about the scent. And that is about all I know on the fougeres.

It reminds me of an earthy 1805 whereas the 1805 is a oceany fougere....if that makes sense

I do not like QCS fougere. It smells spicy to me, like hot cinnamon candy.
I love the MdC fourgere scent and LASS's fougere, although more potent than MdC (IMO), is nice.

Edit: I do like QCS soaps & creams, very good performing products. Just don't care for their take on fougere. YMMV!

Last edited:
Still on the subject of fougeres, Al's Shaving has a Sapone da Barba Fougere About It soft soap. Waiting for a sample from a kindly member. Has anyone tried this?

Last edited:
FYI--I found the scent of jermyn st soap to be even weaker than the cream. Cologne is great though.

used the fougere to shave tonight and I don't know if I still enjoy it. I was shaving and had a huge flashback to shaving with my grandpa when i was 4-5 years old with his little travel gillette without a blade in it. Its 110% the exact same scent I always smelt when i was shaving with him. It brings up memories that I wish I wouldve had more time to enjoy with him and I wish he could've met my son which is named after him. I can't not LOVE the scent, just a huge walk down memory lane I didnt expect

$f237822c605a3db2f258ff0cbda19360.jpg

Last edited:
used the fougere to shave tonight and I don't know if I still enjoy it. I was shaving and had a huge flashback to shaving with my grandpa when i was 4-5 years old with his little travel gillette without a blade in it. Its 110% the exact same scent I always smelt when i was shaving with him. It brings up memories that I wish I wouldve had more time to enjoy with him and I wish he could've met my son which is named after him. I can't not LOVE the scent, just a huge walk down memory lane I didnt expect

View attachment 399850

Sorry to hear that!

In case you're interested: http://www.nbcnews.com/health/smells-nostalgia-why-do-scents-bring-back-memories-895521#

I just tried Los Angeles Shaving Soap's Topanga Fougere this morning. The scent is GREAT! The LASS also produces a great, slick lather with ease. (Maggard Razors has samples available).

proxy.php

I have qcs cream with tallow, mdc, and al's shave bomb fougere about it.

Performance wise is a toss up. Performance for cost goes to qcs.

Scent wise I prefer the qcs then al's then the mdc.

Well a very awesome gentleman on here is sending me a small sample of the MdC to try, and I will comment back here as to what I think :)

Just received a jar of MdC Fougere from another member via the B/S/T. The scent dry out of the jar is a bit reminiscent of Sir Irisch Moos shave soap to me, which I always sort of thought smelled like a spicy lavender with some fern/green notes mixed in..... YMMV. Can't wait to try it this evening. Smells very nice.

Ben

I have QC in the cream and I have the Penhaligon's English Fern cologne. The scents are really close.

Last edited:
ok.....I have received the sample of MdC and this is honestly the first time I've been able to shave BBS without irritation....I am hoping for my wallets sake that the Pannacrema I have enroute will enable me to do the same as its a bit less expensive! And the MdC definately has a completely different scent than the QCS. The QCS reminds me dead on of my Grandpa's scent the MdC is more reminiscent of walking into a densely wooded area.

Top Bottom