What's new

Ok... I've Done It...

Sorry I rang your alarm bells @Slash McCoy . I purchased the razor from a shave shop here in Denver that has been around from the mid sixties. The owner honed the razor for me and stropped it showing me his process. I only purchased the single stone because I was out a couple hundred and I figured it would be a minute before I would be honing my razor. I definitely understand that there will be a lot to consider and acquire prior to honing it myself. That being said, whilst I appreciate the input I have been honing my own knives for over two decades. I don't believe it is rocket science but rather arming oneself with the proper equipment and knowledge.

I also hone my knives and my woodworking tools. I was headstrong but learned very quickly that a razor is harder to hone shaving sharp than a wood chisel is. I figured it would be simple because you have the spine as a honing guide.

You are correct, it is not rocket science, but it is harder than it looks in my experience.

I would take Slash's advice and get a second shave ready razor as you learn to hone.

And who knows? Maybe it will come naturally to you. To me it did not.

Top Bottom