What's new

OK, I'm on a "rigid blade" hunt.

I've read various posts referring to how the baseplate and top cap hold the blade. I see the theory, and am using it as a great excuse to buy more razors. To my wife, it will be a justified, logical reason. It will be necessary to get a better shave. Then I finally won't have to buy any more razors (Shhhhh...).

Anyway, if I'm getting this right, the razors I've been able to identify as "rigid blade holders" are:
1. Post war tech (oval holes in baseplate). Doesn't do me much good, just not aggressive enough.
2. Gillette NEW short comb.
3. Timeless razors.

I want something aggressive. Right now I am mostly using an ATT H2 and an ikon El Jefe.

Suggestions?

Any Gillette TTO, including adjustable.
Any SE razor, all SE blades are thicker than DE blades.
Old Type
Fatip Piccolo
Feather ASD2 <--- Postwar Tech mild...
Wolfman

I used a Rapira Platinum Lux razor the other day and it is quite aggressive but pretty smooth. Very efficient 1 pass plus touch up. I have a Pearl OC and I find it more mild than the Rapira.

Timeless looks pretty good too.

1hqyit.jpg

I used a Rapira Platinum Lux razor the other day and it is quite aggressive but pretty smooth. Very efficient 1 pass plus touch up. I have a Pearl OC and I find it more mild than the Rapira.
I think the Rapira is a great razor, but it's is the exact opposite of what the OP is looking for. It is nowhere near a rigid blade - it has lots of unsupported blade and chatters.

I think the Rapira is a great razor, but it's is the exact opposite of what the OP is looking for. It is nowhere near a rigid blade - it has lots of unsupported blade and chatters.

So the four corner tabs and center bar do not hold the blade rigid like a Tech would? I never noticed any chatter, it seemed quite smooth to me.

So the four corner tabs and center bar do not hold the blade rigid like a Tech would? I never noticed any chatter, it seemed quite smooth to me.
The post-war Tech grips the blade along its entire length just a short distance from the cutting edge, like the Timeless pictured in this thread (take a look at it to see what I mean).

I think you're mixing up alignment with rigidity. The corner tabs and center bar are used to align the blade. The center bar does not support the blade, and the corner tabs only support the blade at the corners.

The oval-slot Tech and NEW SC supports the blade all along the bottom and very close to the cutting edge. Think of the Rapira as a very long diving board and the Tech as a very short diving board. Which is stiffer and less springy?

I think you're mixing up alignment with rigidity. The corner tabs and center bar are used to align the blade. The center bar does not support the blade, and the corner tabs only support the blade at the corners.

The oval-slot Tech and NEW SC supports the blade all along the bottom and very close to the cutting edge. Think of the Rapira as a very long diving board and the Tech as a very short diving board. Which is stiffer and less springy?

This!

I'd say just get the Timeless and be done with it. I have yet to find anything else that shaves any better while still being this comfortable to shave with. I went from aggressive razors (ATT H2, ATT R2, Wolfman, King Cobra, ATT SE1) to the Timeless .68 because I don't have to have an uncomfortable shave in order to get as close of a shave.

I'd say just get the Timeless and be done with it. I have yet to find anything else that shaves any better while still being this comfortable to shave with. I went from aggressive razors (ATT H2, ATT R2, Wolfman, King Cobra, ATT SE1) to the Timeless .68 because I don't have to have an uncomfortable shave in order to get as close of a shave.

This is very compelling, since I shave mostly with an ATT H2. So you say your Timeless with the .68 baseplate shaves as close as the H2? Have you tried the Timeless .95 baseplate?

This is very compelling, since I shave mostly with an ATT H2. So you say your Timeless with the .68 baseplate shaves as close as the H2? Have you tried the Timeless .95 baseplate?

Yes, I'm getting excellent extremely comfortable shaves that are lasting well into the evening with the .68 SB plate. The .68 requires a little more touch up than the H2 but we're talking night and day when it comes to comfort. I have the .95 plate as well but I don't really use it. I figure why bother when the .68 is extremely comfortable and I'm getting outstanding really close shaves with it. I suppose I could use the .95 and do two passes instead of three but again, back to the comfort factor. I did the aggressive razor thing for a really long time as I wanted the really close shaves and I'd sacrifice comfort to get them. I don't really have to anymore. The .68 shaves are lasting as long as the H2 shaves lasted me and they are just as close.

Top Bottom