What's new

OK, I'm on a "rigid blade" hunt.

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
But have you tried a Karve? This is the one thread I have left to cling to so that more funds are not drained for a Timeless .93 OC (see? I know exactly what I want). I have the Karve with plates C through F. Very rigid. After that it would be all about the geometry, and there's only one way I'm going to find out about that...

From what I've seen of the Karve, its clamps the blade in a similar fashion to the NEW SC.

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
How is that different from the Timeless?

L-R. Gillette NEW SC, Timeless, Wolfman WR1.

NEWSC.JPG Timeless.jpg WolfmanWR1.png

I dont have a picture of the Karve to add, but all three of the above clamp the blade equally from above and below like a vise, close to the edge of the blade making that blade edge as stiff and rigid as possible. Only the blade gaps may vary.

The only difference I can see with the Karve base are the lather slots.

f4ai6Np.jpg

The NEW SC base is completely solid without lather slots. Much the same as Tiimeless and Wolfman.

L-R again. NEW SC, Timeless, Wolfman WR1.

IMG_1422.JPG Timeless-Razor-SB68-Polished-Stainless-Steel-Solid-Bar-Base-Plate.jpg 4f168bb3db34e76d9eebba579b0cf68e.jpg

The SC, Timeless and Wolfman dont have lather slots under the blade like the Karve. Lather slots can make the blade edge above them less rigid, but in the Karve design I dont think that would be noticed by many. It really is a nice design and if I got along with blade gap I may have bought one.

Another very nice razor with a very rigid design is Seygus, but only the OC head I believe offers full blade support.

IMG_20161211_153842770.jpg

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
View attachment 931683

What about the Tatara Masamune? The handle locks in the blade very precisely and is rock solid for the ATG pass.

Thats one I havent heard of, but yeah, outside of the lather slots it looks a rigid design in the way it appears to clamp the blade.

Its difficult to say without seeing the baseplate on its own. If the blade edge is completely unsupported for its width because of a deeply cut lather slot, rigidity of the edge can suffer.

Hate to tell you the Timeless 95 may actually shave smoother than the Karve, at least my SS 95 OC feels every bit as smooth, and probably smoother, than my Karve D plate. Granted the blade plays a big difference here, as both are somewhat sensitive to the blade loaded.

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
I only want to add rigid razors to my den. That's why I love my AC Single Edge Razors and very few DE's can replicate that stiffness.

All of my razors are rigid designs but one, the R41. With a Feather blade in it, its capable of a good or even a great shave, but if that shave takes me 3 full passes and 1-2 cleanups, where did the efficiency go. A Tech does the same and does it a lot more comfortably, if not quite as closely.

As far as rigidity goes, SE's are King. I'll rarely use a DE now just because the GEM PTFE blades in my MMOC are so rigid and give such a smooth and even closer shave than a DE blade is capable of.

True, the closed comb is technically less supported than the OC but you wouldn't know it in use.

I agree. Most wont notice the difference, but some might. I couldnt get a BBS finish with a Gillette NEW LC, but its easy as can be with a SC. The LC lacks full support.

SC on the left, LC on the right.

IMG_1459.jpg

I will say though, the Tatara razors are very nice, if pricey.

Well today’s shave was with a New SC in rhodium and it was a close and smooth shave with a fresh Rapira Platinum Lux blade. I will not elaborate on the already wonderful ideas and suggestions presented here @Cal and @Esox amongst others here are the experts of the rigid blade debate. I for one love the New SC of which I own two and the New LC. In the rigid blade shave department I also give full props to the old types of which I also own two. Any of those vintage Gillette I would hardly recommend to you. As for the modern examples I can’t speak to ikon etc, as I have none of those in my collection. Just one? New SC...oh and the last point about convincing SWMBO that you need a “rigid blade razor” and you won’t “need” anymore...I have 35...that dog don’t hunt...LOL.

Last edited:
Ah, well, since the thread is in full swing anyway, I'll chime in properly, too.

I don't think the Merkur 45 has been mentioned. The BabySmooth and the fairly new PAA Ascension are of the same ilk. All three bend the blade substantially, and a quarter turn of the handle makes things more interesting. A shim works better, though.
They are razors that can be easy daily shavers but can take care of more if you'd like them to just fine.

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
A shim in my NEW LC helped it about 50%, thats a lot, but its still a weakness in design if you need a shim to get a better shave.

I didnt like messing with shims. The very small cut off edges are evil incarnate lol.

A shim in my NEW LC helped it about 50%, thats a lot, but its still a weakness in design if you need a shim to get a better shave.

I didnt like messing with shims. The very small cut off edges are evil incarnate lol.
I would agree with that. I have razors that work very well, so I can't see the point in messing with shims so that I can use one that doesn't. Some guys are tinkerers, though, and they feel that they can take a decent performing razor and make it the best. Sometimes they might be able to. Sometimes they are like my cousin who has so much money and time invested into his old car that he could have bought a Porsche or Corvette, and it seems like he has to work on it all the time just to keep it running. At the end of it all, the car is still just a Civic, but he does get enjoyment and a sense of accomplishment from working on it, so for him it is all worth it.

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
I would agree with that. I have razors that work very well, so I can't see the point in messing with shims so that I can use one that doesn't.

The NEW LC lead me to the NEW SC. Once I felt the difference I never looked back and my razors, and blades, have only become more rigid.

I have an R41. I've used it and learned it and I can have a very good shave with it and a Feather blade. I can have a far quicker, easier and safer shave with my Fatip.

The below shave is with a Derby Extra in my Grande and I was comparing it to my R41 with a Feather.

Fatip Grande. Fresh Derby Extra.

Stirling Black Cherry.

Maggard synthetic.

48 hours since last shave, and back to my first shave ever with this razor.

N-S. S-N. ATG.

R40 what?

First pass, bliss. As close or closer than the R41 and Feather combo. Out of the world smooth. If theres a smoother razor than this Grande I havent used it.

Second pass as above with some light buffing around my chin and sides of my mouth ATG.

ATG at my jawline and below buffing ATG, more of the same. Nothing but smooth and secure shaving. It biting didnt even cross my mind.

I'll also say @Cal @Raven Koenes @rudyt and @Chan Eil Whiskers this shave was done completely steep other than moving to shallow first pass over my swirls. Second pass and ATG clean up was done all steep, even buffing. Nothing but comb.

The result, Mr.Shinyface. Super close, super comfortable BBS finish. This blade in this razor easily equals my Single Ring and a Polsilver but it needs more care, even with the 'lowly' Derby Extra.

As I've said many times, buy a Fatip. Learn it and reap the rewards. I seriously believe there is no better modern razor, even at twice the price... or more.

The difference between the two razors is how securely the blade is held and supported by the baseplate. Blade exposure is virtually identical. Blade angle is slightly steeper in the R41, but I think thats negligible and can be adjusted for.

R41-FATIP2.jpg

Ah, well, since the thread is in full swing anyway, I'll chime in properly, too.

I don't think the Merkur 45 has been mentioned. The BabySmooth and the fairly new PAA Ascension are of the same ilk. All three bend the blade substantially, and a quarter turn of the handle makes things more interesting. A shim works better, though.
They are razors that can be easy daily shavers but can take care of more if you'd like them to just fine.
The Merkur 45 is one of my all time favs! Shim? Maybe I am missing something but I have no need for shims in anything...

How does it perform ATG? Do you get BBS everytime with it?
I do and I honestly attribute it to working a crappy disposable razor for years. I researched the 45 for a long time and it was a great buy when I got it. So I went to work with it but I kept a really light touch. So I have to say it was the easiest razor to dial in, I love it and I get BBS every time I use it...3 passes, WTG, XTG and ATG...love it.

Top Bottom