What's new

OK, I'm on a "rigid blade" hunt.

I've heard the ikon tech responds very similarly to the actual techs so think a blue tip(ish) but with the 3pc design you are looking for. They are pretty mild though, I've always had to do an "all buffing shave" to even get dfs with a tech on my face. Maybe a standard razors de would be a good fit for you

I've heard the ikon tech responds very similarly to the actual techs so think a blue tip(ish) but with the 3pc design you are looking for. They are pretty mild though, I've always had to do an "all buffing shave" to even get dfs with a tech on my face. Maybe a standard razors de would be a good fit for you
Not true at all. The ikon tech is a fearsome, aggressive beast of a razor that bears no resemblance to a Gillette tech aside from the name and that they are both designed to be used with DE blades.

Not true at all. The ikon tech is a fearsome, aggressive beast of a razor that bears no resemblance to a Gillette tech aside from the name and that they are both designed to be used with DE blades.

Thanks for the clarification! I like the techs but found them too mild so this actually makes me want to try the ikon!

IMG_0371.JPG
Thanks for the clarification! I like the techs but found them too mild so this actually makes me want to try the ikon!

Here's a pic for your consideration. Kind of blade forward.

... What I'm thinking right now for this latest round of RAD is that a 3 piece, aggressive razor with solid support very close to the edge of the blade is what I'm hankerin' for.

Having said all that, I just heard from a buddy of mine on the left coast that an ikon shavecraft tech fits this description. Can anyone confirm?
I recently purchased, and love, my iKon Tech. But the baseplate doesn't support the blade all the way:
upload_2017-6-21_18-44-39.png

So, being an RRR (Rabidus Rigid Razor) freak, I added a single 20mm wide shim:
upload_2017-6-21_18-47-28.png

Wow! What a fantastic difference that single shim makes. :thumbup1: @rabidus

I hope that helps.

I recently purchased, and love, my iKon Tech. But the baseplate doesn't support the blade all the way:

So, being an RRR (Rabidus Rigid Razor) freak, I added a single 20mm wide shim:

Wow! What a fantastic difference that single shim makes. :thumbup1: @rabidus

I hope that helps.

Hmmmm. Very informative, thank you. I was going to pull the trigger on an ikon tech, but I think I will pass for now.

Let's see........maybe I should try shimming my ATT H2 and Rockwell while I'm saving up for a Timeless...

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
A shim did help my Gillette LC by about 50% and smoothed it out considerably. I still had issues with it ATG over my neck though.

Easy, cheap and simple experiment though. Just be very careful when trimming the edges. Those trimmings are very small and very sharp!

I made a video on how to make a shim since it changed my shaving so much. I'm also a RRR!

Thanks! I was wondering how I was going to do this without tin snips. I'll be ready for tomorrow's shave.

The only problem that I can see is that if this works really well, I won't be able to tell my wife. I can just imagine how that conversation will go.

Me: "But honey, it's such a *pain* to take that shim out every single time I clean the razor. I really *need* that Timeless."

Her: "You take your razor apart and clean every single piece until it's dry and shiny every time you shave. You even dry out the handle threads with a rolled up piece of tissue to make sure no moisture remains in there before you reassemble your precious three piece. The extra three seconds it takes to take a shim in and out is nothing compared to the five minutes you spend cleaning your razor. You don't need a Timeless."

Me: "Yeah, but.... well........ YOU JUST DON'T UNDERSTAND!!!"

've heard the ikon tech responds very similarly to the actual techs so think a blue tip(ish) but with the 3pc design you are looking for. They are pretty mild though, I've always had to do an "all buffing shave" to even get dfs with a tech on my face. Maybe a standard razors de would be a good fit for you

The Feather AS-D2 is more like the Gillette Techs than the Ikon Tech is.

+100 to Timeless, have never shaved with a razor that holds the blade so rigid as this (mind you, I havent tried Wolfman yet). 0 Irritation due to no Blade chatter.

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
+100 to Timeless, have never shaved with a razor that holds the blade so rigid as this (mind you, I havent tried Wolfman yet). 0 Irritation due to no Blade chatter.

Have you tried a Gillette NEW SC?

So I have come to a decision and picked a razor. It was hard for me to discern and so I shaved quite a few days before coming to this conclusion.

I used the same soap for all shaves and it was super runny. Absolutely no cushion, just a slippery medium which enabled me to feel the cutting action of the blade. Shaving WTG & XTG there was no difference I could feel. But where it gets tricky is ATG, I felt no difference anywhere until I shaved the mustache area. This patch of hair for me is dense and the individual hairs are thick. So for any razor, this is a challenge. I once tried ATG with my ATT H2 and I could feel the edge of the blade flex down in to my skin.

Both are very very smooth and with no blade flex. But it was only ATG on my mustache where there was a trace of difference. So the top spot for rigidity is the Wolfman. But I'm talking a minutia of difference.

It is so small a difference I had doubts so to be certain, I had been shaving with both everyday till SEptember 1st, shaving half my face with one and switching to use the other on the other half. I would switch razors to the other half the next day and I have been getting consistent results.

So Wolfman it is. But if the Wolfman is a 10 in rigidity the SC is a 9.8. So there it is

But have you tried a Karve? This is the one thread I have left to cling to so that more funds are not drained for a Timeless .93 OC (see? I know exactly what I want). I have the Karve with plates C through F. Very rigid. After that it would be all about the geometry, and there's only one way I'm going to find out about that...

Top Bottom