What's new

OK, I'm on a "rigid blade" hunt.

I'm not sure if I'm clear on the rigidity vs alignment concept, but I'm wondering if the RazoRock Wunderbar fits into this discussion? I would describe the Wunderbar as an aggressive, but smooth shaver. It would seem that due to the significant amount of torque applied to the blade when the cap is tightened down, that that would make the blade rigid?

This is very compelling, since I shave mostly with an ATT H2. So you say your Timeless with the .68 baseplate shaves as close as the H2? Have you tried the Timeless .95 baseplate?

I don't have the .68, but I do have the .95, and have probably used the H2 more than any other razor I own (30 or 40 razors, who knows?). I enjoy both the H2 and .95, for different reasons. Both give tremendous shaves, but when I'm looking for more of a blade-forward experience, I reach for the H2 (or the other aggressive razors I use, which are all more aggressive than the H2). For a mild, yet efficient, experience, it's the .95, which doesn't really have any competition in its category. On my face, for example, the Rockwell 6S with the most aggressive base plate is just as mild, but not quite as efficient as the .95.

I would describe the Wunderbar as an aggressive, but smooth shaver. It would seem that due to the significant amount of torque applied to the blade when the cap is tightened down, that that would make the blade rigid?
While I don't own a Wunderbar, but I do own its predecessor, the Stealth Slant. Torquing a blade does stiffen it, and the Stealth definitely does this.

What we're talking about is blade support, top and bottom, for the full length of the blade, reasonably close to the cutting edge. Like a sandwich, with top and bottom bread, with just a little bit of meat sticking out. The blade is not strong enough, or rigid enough, to work without a fixture to hold it. Curving the blade, and having it under tension helps, but clamping it between two pieces of metal is better. Having the cap on top of the blade and nothing under it is considered to be not fully supported. The Blackland Blackbird is an extreme example. This is very unsupported.

lele.jpg

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
I've read various posts referring to how the baseplate and top cap hold the blade. I see the theory, and am using it as a great excuse to buy more razors. To my wife, it will be a justified, logical reason. It will be necessary to get a better shave. Then I finally won't have to buy any more razors (Shhhhh...).

Anyway, if I'm getting this right, the razors I've been able to identify as "rigid blade holders" are:
1. Post war tech (oval holes in baseplate). Doesn't do me much good, just not aggressive enough.
2. Gillette NEW short comb.
3. Timeless razors.

I want something aggressive. Right now I am mostly using an ATT H2 and an ikon El Jefe.

Suggestions?

The post war Tech is a fantastic shaver but it is very mild. Even more mild than my Gillette Rocket. The NEW SC is fairly aggressive but also very smooth. It's the most aggressive of the three I own by a noticeable margin and I personally cant see the need for a more aggressive razor, but it's one I can certainly recommend.

As to new modern razors, the FaTip, Timeless and Wolfman all seem to be very good designs. The Wolfman has the advantage of picking your own blade gap and picking a custom blade exposure. Thats a pretty desirable feature if you know exactly the geometry you want.

About Wolfman Razors

FaTip Piccolo.jpg Timeless.jpg WolfmanWR1.png

The new RazoRock Mamba looks interesting as well but it appears the blade will only be supported by the ends of the base plate.

IMG_20170602_143522_large.jpg IMG_20170602_143441_large.jpg

I'm a firm believer in the concept of rigidity in head design and for me it makes more difference in the comfort of my shave, and the quality of my shave, than anything else I've done or tried thus far. One other thing I'm noticing more in using these rigid razors, is blade choice is far less critical and I'd be hard pressed telling one blade from the next.

Last edited:

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
What we're talking about is blade support, top and bottom, for the full length of the blade, reasonably close to the cutting edge. Like a sandwich, with top and bottom bread, with just a little bit of meat sticking out. The blade is not strong enough, or rigid enough, to work without a fixture to hold it. Curving the blade, and having it under tension helps, but clamping it between two pieces of metal is better. Having the cap on top of the blade and nothing under it is considered to be not fully supported. The Blackland Blackbird is an extreme example. This is very unsupported.

View attachment 798275

This is nicely supported.

View attachment 798278

Ya'll beat me to it! LOL

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
I was looking at that the other day, looks like it get's a little gappy at the edges. They need a smaller radius on the cap.

View attachment 798285

I noticed that too and wonder if it isnt just angle and lighting making it look as though its not a flush and square. Pictures that show what you want to see arent easy to find...

*preface: I honestly did not read anything here except the original post

If rigidity is your main goal here I would suggest trying and injector. Those blades are about as stiff as you can get and they (usually) last much longer then de blades. Injectors pop up on BST regularly so I would look around. They are usually cheap enough that it's not a huge waste if it doesn't work for you.

If you are adamant about staying with de style blades then I would suggest trying a razor with minimal blade exposure. The less of the blade that is exposed, the less flex it will have. A lot of the time minimal blade exposure translates to a mild razor but that can be remedied by a larger blade gap. Maybe a Gillette adjustable would be up your alley. Minimal blade exposure and "customizable" gap. Also the gillettes superspeed family follow the same exposure principal just with fixed gaps.

*preface: I honestly did not read anything here except the original post

If rigidity is your main goal here I would suggest trying and injector. Those blades are about as stiff as you can get and they (usually) last much longer then de blades. Injectors pop up on BST regularly so I would look around. They are usually cheap enough that it's not a huge waste if it doesn't work for you.

If you are adamant about staying with de style blades then I would suggest trying a razor with minimal blade exposure. The less of the blade that is exposed, the less flex it will have. A lot of the time minimal blade exposure translates to a mild razor but that can be remedied by a larger blade gap. Maybe a Gillette adjustable would be up your alley. Minimal blade exposure and "customizable" gap. Also the gillettes superspeed family follow the same exposure principal just with fixed gaps.

I should have stated in my OP that I'm only really interested in a 3 piece razor for DE blades. I have some GEMs, and like the MMOC the most, but they all have the same problem for me: The blade stops. I hate them. It makes it impossible to trim precisely along the end of a blade. I have some TTO Gillette razors that I have not used in perhaps a year or more until this morning. After reading in this thread about the TTOs having good edge support, I got my '58 red tip out. I used to hate this thing. Harsh with lots of razor burn and weepers. This morning was a fantastic shave. My technique now is solid. However, I don't love TTOs. They are not heavy enough for me, and more importantly, they are a pain to clean. In fact, I would say it is almost impossible to get the bottom really clean after each shave. Yes, I'm one of those guys.

To be clear, all these razors are great. But what I'm doing here is what we all end up doing: Looking for the best possible razor for me. What I'm thinking right now for this latest round of RAD is that a 3 piece, aggressive razor with solid support very close to the edge of the blade is what I'm hankerin' for.

Having said all that, I just heard from a buddy of mine on the left coast that an ikon shavecraft tech fits this description. Can anyone confirm?

Top Bottom