What's new

ok, I'm getting concerned

Why? Because I find myself getting irritated over stupid trivial things. I never have been what I would say book smart nor do I posses social skills. I'm from a Military family and while brothers and cousins attended Military Academy's prior to there active duty I was the only one who enlisted immediately after graduating form high school. Only 2 of us chose to make it our career and I retired 4 years earlier than my 1rst cousin at a pay grade of O5, Steve, Stephen L Lanning retired from the Air force at a pay grade of O7.
In my 32 year hitch I lost a son 9 years ago was wounded 3 times and saw more brother Marines die on the Field of Honor than I wished I had. Through Faith and time I have always managed to realize that things are not for me to understand WHY but rather to accept and continue.

Tonite I was getting ready to post a before as well as current "Mug shot" of my self and read about a fellow Marine being chastised for his choice of weapons we use on the range as well as in the field by a civilian, (who I'm sure is a good man). This came to past innocently enough but comparing our assault M16 to a $3,000 deer/target rifle just p@#$d me off.
The Marine I am referring to never responded negatively and did exactly what he should have, let it go. Where as I posted a quick weapon comparison, (not my mug) and signed off until now.

Gentlemen do we really need to belittle anyone to make ourselfs appear smarter, richer or just plain better than someone else? I think not. Maybe I'm being sensitive due to the people, subject matter and its ultimate use. Believe me when I say an M16 was never intended to kill a deer. I like it here, good people, (maybe with a very few exceptions like camy 5 :eek:) and I think if we all just think alittle before posting some problems and maybe hurt feelings could be adverted :confused:
Anyway thanks thats what I wanted to say and, I vented :biggrin: Hope thats OK.

I am sorry to hear about your son. Maybe you don`t get to hear it often enough, but most civilians appreciate your service to our country. As far as the rant, after 32 years, you deserve at least that much. I wish you nothing but the best, sir.

I think you may have your answer within your post. Just the same as in face-to-face relationships we sometimes speak without thinking it through. Those unthinking comments can come across as pretty rude or hurtful.

The facelessness (is that a word?) of the internet adds to this problem as you cannot see the grin, that in person, would tell you it's only a jibe or that person is kidding. Our facial expressions, body language or look in the eyes can sometimes convey more than words. Don't use your energy on things you can't change.
Sue
(That's my opinion and I could be wrong.)

I wish you nothing but the best, sir.

As do I, along with my thanks for your lengthy service...

Part of the problem with this country today is that there are too many self-anointed "experts", no matter what the field of discussion may be. I don't have your experience in defense of this country, but sometimes it is indeed difficult to "suffer fools gladly"...

I am sorry to hear about your son. Maybe you don`t get to hear it often enough, but most civilians appreciate your service to our country. As far as the rant, after 32 years, you deserve at least that much. I wish you nothing but the best, sir.

Thanks, he died well and it was 9 years ago. Time/Faith heals all. And yes I know, way more now than 30/40 years ago. I'm now a bit embarrased about the post, I need to pratice what I was preaching, THINK. No big deal, just hit a nerve :thumbup1:

Rants are good. Especially on Cyber Space. :biggrin:

I too, am sorry to hear about the loss of your son.

You ever read anything by St. Jerome? To call him a "curmudgeon" may be an understatement. I can only imagine if he were on the internet. :biggrin:

Below is a small excerpt, presented only to show that "grouches" can be saints too, and venting/ranting is OK once in while.

1. I was requested by certain of the brethren not long ago to reply to a pamphlet written by one Helvidius. I have deferred doing so, not because it is a difficult matter to maintain the truth and refute an ignorant boor who has scarce known the first glimmer of learning, but because I was afraid my reply might make him appear worth defeating.

There was the further consideration that a turbulent fellow (the only individual in the world who thinks himself both priest and layman, one who, as has been said, thinks that eloquence consists in wordiness and considers speaking ill of anyone to be the witness of a good conscience), would begin to blaspheme worse than ever if opportunity of discussion were afforded him. He would stand as it were on a pedestal, and would publish his views far and wide.
There was reason also to fear that when truth failed him he would assail his opponents with the weapon of abuse.

But all these motives for silence, though just, have more justly ceased to influence me, because of the scandal caused to the brethren who were disgusted at his ravings. The axe of the Gospel must therefore be now laid to the root of the barren tree, and both it and its fruitless foliage cast into the fire, so that Helvidius -- who has never learnt to speak -- may at length learn to hold his tongue.

And people wonder why I believe St. Jerome should be the patron saint of the internet. :biggrin:

...Gentlemen do we really need to belittle anyone to make ourselfs appear smarter, richer or just plain better than someone else? I think not...

Absolutely not, and I think that's why so many of us like it so much here. We do get that kind of behavior on occasion, but the folks here are pretty good and behaving themselves like gentlemen (and the occasional gentlewoman) and the mods take care of those who don't.

Anyway, glad you got the chance to rant. For the record if the comment you are referring to is the one posted directly below me by RazorDingo then I think the comment was perhaps phrased poorly but nonetheless not the sort of attack you took it as. Sue's post on the problems with internet communication is excellent on this point.

Last edited:
...read about a fellow Marine being chastised for his choice of weapons we use on the range as well as in the field by a civilian...

Are you referring to this post?

A couple of things to, maybe, consider.

1) This was an online conversation that took place in September of 2007. Almost two years ago.

2) I think most people, reading the post in question, as well as the ones preceding it - would be hard pressed to find serious offensive intent there, and certainly no attempt to belittle the Marine in question. I think it was a case of one firearms enthusiast talking to another.

I agree in principle that it is not a good practice to go around asserting one's superiority by decrying the perceived faults of other people.

The facelessness (is that a word?) of the internet adds to this problem as you cannot see the grin, that in person, would tell you it's only a jibe or that person is kidding. Our facial expressions, body language or look in the eyes can sometimes convey more than words. Don't use your energy on things you can't change.
Sue
(That's my opinion and I could be wrong.)

No Sue...you are not wrong. As usual, sage, motherly advice! You hit the nail on the head here.

Yeah if someone saying bad things about your choice of firearm is really getting under your skin and getting you down then I think that probably would be cause for concern.

Like I said, not very smart, (me) 2 years ago huh? Hmm, what a jerk, (me again). And I'm actually the guy that anyone who knew me called Hoppy or ice because I just moved on and nothing appeared to bother me.

Just hit a nerve

Nope another case of missing the target. Mostly on my part but yours also. The weapon had nothing to do with it. And as I said, I was sure Joel was a good guy.. Hit a nerve tho and I'd like to offer a small challenge, We'll come to Joel's place of his choice, I'll choose a Marine and Rifle and we'll see who can hit what with scope or open sight at 500 yards 1,000 yards and then 8,000 yards, (about 1 1/2 mile) I'm not doing that much this week anyway, might be fun.

Yeah if someone saying bad things about your choice of firearm is really getting under your skin and getting you down then I think that probably would be cause for concern.

Man, arguing about firearms is like arguing about razor blades or politics. Everyone has his own opinion and, for whatever reason, feels like he has to defend it. I think if you let something like that get under your skin, you are wound way too tight. Me, I think the old .45 service pistol beats any nine mil sissy gun ever made. And that the AK47 is far superior to the M16. But if you call me an idiot for that, I ain't going to fight you about it. Who cares? We can still have a beer together.

Thank you for your service Sir!

I'm sorry to hear about your son. I have a little girl who's one and a son who is 2-1/2. I can't imagine losing them. Though it was nine years ago I will keep and your child in my prayers.

The thing that sucks about the internet is that we can't see each other's body to read the body language. Most people on this board are really nice, though sometimes opinionated (like me! :w00t:)

tlanning,
I wouldn't sweat it there are people who are better shots than me and I'm in the Army and I'm sure that I shoot better than some Marines. Just the nature of shooting. As for the caliber after shooting 155mm everything seems a bit underpowered to me:biggrin:

Man, arguing about firearms is like arguing about razor blades or politics. Everyone has his own opinion and, for whatever reason, feels like he has to defend it. I think if you let something like that get under your skin, you are wound way too tight. Me, I think the old .45 service pistol beats any nine mil sissy gun ever made. And that the AK47 is far superior to the M16. But if you call me an idiot for that, I ain't going to fight you about it. Who cares? We can still have a beer together.

Man, you sure got that right. I'm right there with you on the .45. Only thing I'd replace that with is a .357 Mag, if I had to. On the M16/AK I'm a little more torn, though.
Both have their pros n' cons.
tlanning,
I wouldn't sweat it there are people who are better shots than me and I'm in the Army and I'm sure that I shoot better than some Marines. Just the nature of shooting. As for the caliber after shooting 155mm everything seems a bit underpowered to me:biggrin:

Yeah, where do you go from there? "Show me something in a rail gun, my good man."

Your service and sacrifices are greatly appreciated, gents.

Last edited:

I like beer

Ladies and Gents
I'm getting ready to go cut grass and all I can say is thanks for your thoughts and I hope for this post to dissapear shortly.
My wife has told me for close to 40 years that when I have/had something to say on a subject outside of work, DON'T :thumbup1:

Kratos,
I really don't know maybe they can bring back the 175mm or 205mm just for me:biggrin: Or take the battleships out of mothball just for me and so I can fire the 16 inch guns:w00t: Thinking the rail gun wouln't work out all that well in the era of UAV's, satellites, and Apache and Cobra gunships.

Ladies and Gents
I'm getting ready to go cut grass and all I can say is thanks for your thoughts and I hope for this post to dissapear shortly.
My wife has told me for close to 40 years that when I have/had something to say on a subject outside of work, DON'T :thumbup1:

Aren't wives great. Mine has saved my butt more times than I can remember. :cool:

Top Bottom