What's new

Ok, heres a daft one.

Scales, there to protect the blade, add some balance and make it look darn pretty:001_smile, BUT, could you have a safe and comfortable shave if the scales were taken off the razor. I know one of our highly skilled members here turns a few gd's into a japenese style straight, but as i see it, the blade is honed to shave, but to me it would seem a bit akward to hold, anyone here tried it?

Are you asking if anyone has taken te scales off of a western style straight and shaved it with no modifications or extention of the shank?

If so, I would think it's possible. If you think of it you're not holding the scales in a traditional grip. The balance may be difficult but I imagine it could be done.

hmm...ive got a restore to do.i wonder how it would go if i put a japanese style handle on it?ill post pics when done.im off to try,ive got some osage orange that mite look pretty.

The Purist, though, is built specifically for that purpose. The extended tang serves as the balance. I can't see just hacking the scales off a razor and shaving with it. Looking at a bare blade I'm restoring right now, I cannot imagine a possible grip that would allow you to shave your face without shredding it to ribbons. Maybe it is possible, I just can't picture it.

I guess you'd learn really quick how important the counter balance of the scales is to the shave. Probably take it for granted.

I have a shortened blade it has no scales. I use it from time to time, and, go slightly awkward it does work fine.

Thanks guys, it was one of those things that crossed my mind while I was rescaling a hamburg ring the other week. I did not try it, but it got me thinking.

Top Bottom