What's new

OK Guys/Gals, what are the 3 best brushes witihin reach for budget households?

I think a good boar is your best value in a brush. If you want to go badger, I'd buy a handle or do a restore with a WSP, TGN Finest, TGN Super Finest or a TGN Grade A and you'll end up with a great brush at a minimal expense.

My personal Top 3, all under 25

Vie Long 12705 horse ($18)
B&B Essential Boar ($20)
TGN 18mm Finest in a restored handle ($18+5)

Thanks guy/gals, i have been studying this thread so i can help others as they ask me for brush info at the Newbies forums.

Hi Alex: You not only helped the newbies but you have helped me. I'm glad that you posted this thread because I may purchase that WSP Prince 2-Band. I will probably get that around spring time. How do you like yours? I just read the reviews yesterday on Amazon and most love it. You can't beat that price.:thumbup:

WARHAWK

Diamond Edge in GB used to have the best shipped price on the grosnover mixed badger boar from Vulfix this is a great brush.

Last edited:
Hi Alex: You not only helped the newbies but you have helped me. I'm glad that you posted this thread because I may purchase that WSP Prince 2-Band. I will probably get that around spring time. How do you like yours? I just read the reviews yesterday on Amazon and most love it. You can't beat that price.:thumbup:

WARHAWK
I paid 60 bucks...lets just say i would pay double that , its that good. The back bone is unbelievable and sheds like 2 hairs a year.

WARHAWK

It's a very nice brush. I got one and I'm most pleased with it. I saw some reviews saying it was too small but it's not. It's in the mid sized range in my opinion.

For around $10 the Omega 10098 is a great brush. Is it as good as a $200 Simpson? Of course not. Is it better than other $30-$50 brushes? I'd say yes. Mine has broken in nicely, and for the price it greatly outperforms my expectations.

A Virginia Sheng Silvertip Badger is only $25 or so. I didn't buy one of her brushes, but I do have her Silvertip knot and it is an excellent performer.

Depends on budget.

I think any semogue is going to be a great choice. Omegas are cheaper, but I think Semogues, at a minimum, have handles that are nice enough to justify it.

That's really all I can speak to from direct experience. But from forum reputation, Whipped Dog and Vintage blades are supposed to be really nice too

Alex, I would nominate the Simpson Berkeley in best for just over $50. Perhaps smallish but big enough. Great face-latherer, great flow-through, scrub but no scritch, nice face-feel, good with creams and soaps, soft but with backbone, doubles as travel brush. Certainly beats my short lofted Colonel in performance. Least expensive brush I have and a favorite.

Last edited:
Semogue Owners Club boar - $45 at WCS
Omega 636 Silvertip (Lucretia Borgia) - $45 at WCS
Rooney 3/1 in Pure Badger - $46 at Vintage Blades LLC

I am basing my recommendations solely on my personal experience as I own and use all three. As always, YMMV.

For face lathering, a B&B essential is tough to beat. After break in, it's a great combination of soft tips and backbone. I reach for it ahead of my semogue owner's club, 9 times out of ten, and at a fraction of the price. It's combination of knot and handle is one I'll never be without.

Don't forget shaver joe, wolf whiskers, etc. They are turning some really nice handles and selling for around sixty bucks with a t g n finest knot.

Alex, I would nominate the Simpson Berkeley in best for just over $50. Perhaps smallish but big enough. Great face-latherer, great flow-through, scrub but no scritch, nice face-feel, good with creams and soaps, soft but with backbone, doubles as travel brush. Certainly beats my short lofted Colonel in performance. Least expensive brush I have and a favorite.
Thanks, i am suggesting this whole thread for Newbies to look over and im sure they will see yours.

Top Bottom