What's new

OK Guys/Gals, what are the 3 best brushes witihin reach for budget households?

If you're willing to try a boar brush, they will always be less expensive than badger. I'm still using my VDH boar that comes in the deluxe kit with a bowl and soap for $20. Available at Rite-Aid, CVS and Walmart. I don't own one but know that the Omega Boar is highly regarded. Boar does require a break-in period but becomes very soft after that.
I am afraid, every time i get those store bought brands they shed more than a cheap rug.

Great question, Alex, but I fear the answers aren't doing it for me. I'm also a very price sensitive shaving shopper. I only just recently tried, one year after beginning traditional wet shaving, my first badger brush, and that was because I was PIF'd it. Wow, that's a delightful revelation! And, it's a mini brush and knot. Now that I've tasted badger, it's like blood for sharks. But, I've gotta spend my money very frugally, and get the most value I can, probably for under $40.

Here are some other ways of getting at this:
What are the most popular brushes of B&B users?
Which are their favorites?
Ways of getting this information could include a poll, researching the frequency of mentions -- assuming the frequency of brush mentions could be a rough approximation of popularity. Then we could simply associate those brushes with prices.

Or, I guess I could simply pose the question: what's the best badger brush you can get for up to $40?

Last edited:
Great question, Alex, but I fear the answers aren't doing it for me. Here are some other ways of getting at this:
What are the most popular brushes of B&B users?
Which are their favorites?
Ways of getting this information could include a poll, researching the frequency of mentions -- assuming the frequency of brush mentions could be a rough approximation of popularity. Then we could simply associate those brushes with prices.

Thanks for the suggestion, but i dont really care for any research findings at this time. For now the input i am receiving has been fulfilling my curiosity so i can help others with it too. Just basic no frills answers and suggestions.:thumbup:

Thanks for the suggestion, but i dont really care for any research findings at this time. For now the input i am receiving has been fulfilling my curiosity so i can help others with it too. Just basic no frills answers and suggestions.:thumbup:
As I reread my original post, I realize it could be seen as a bit rude. Everyone's answers are valuable and interesting and welcome. I guess I want more....

Last edited:
Semogue SOC
TGN Finest
Simpson X3

Not as budgety as a budget-minded budgie, but they're towards the lower end!

Plisson size 20 with a horn handle in HMW
Simpsons Chubby 3 Manchurian Butterscotch
and of course,
A diamond-encrusted, rock-from-Mars-handled, wild Matterhorn uber-white super-silvertip brush hand knotted by the Virgin Mary.

All money savers in the long run

(apologies to Doc4 for theft.)

What's the budget?
+1 Regardless of budget, this is relevant (i.e. define "best"):
http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php/98887-How-to-get-good-brush-picking-amp-buying-advice

Or, I guess I could simply pose the question: what's the best badger brush you can get for up to $40?
Again, define "best". Questions like this are asked all the time. Two people with the same budget can certainly prefer entirely different brushes. The person asking the question needs to clarify. Again, refer to the link I provided so we can better understand what you specifically mean by "best".

Last edited:
+1 Regardless of budget, this is relevant (i.e. define "best"):
http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php/98887-How-to-get-good-brush-picking-amp-buying-advice

Again, define "best". Questions like this are asked all the time. Two people with the same budget can certainly prefer entirely different brushes. The person asking the question needs to clarify. Again, refer to the link I provided so we can better understand what you specifically mean by "best".
Takeshi, that's a very useful questionnaire for brush buyers seeking advice. There's lots of value tucked away in those stickies atop the Brush forum, which, apparently, I am remiss in not having read. Thanks for pointing it out!

I've been using an Omega 13109 pure badger brush for about a month now ($38.00 on Amazon with free ship) and it has broken in nicely. 23mm knot and good backbone for soaps. I also recently bought a Silvertip badger from Whipped Dog with a custom handle. I love the silvertips softness but it is a bit floppy for hard soaps. I usually use it on the weekends when I'm not rushed. But truthfully the Omega is my go to brush.

You can easily put together a brush with an old Everready handle and a TNG knot. I found a 500 PBT handle and a 20mm Finest Fan and was in it for about $30. It's a nice one for face lathering.

The Omega 48 and 49 boars are great for soap/bowls once you break them in. They can be had shipped for under $15.

The best price-conscious brushes in my opinion are:

1. Muhle Black Fibers. Not much choice in handles, but they perform way above their price league.

2. Omega #49. The quintessential big boar with flawless performance at a steal.

3. Semogue misturas, the mixed knots. Manchurian badger in disguise.

I wonder why you would love the "Prince" brush :)

You know...... $Walk.gif

As I reread my original post, I realize it could be seen as a bit rude. Everyone's answers are valuable and interesting and welcome. I guess I want more....
I think that it was straight forward and direct, but not rude. I always stay curious and inquisitive so your suggestions can be effective for me but in another questionnaire not this one though.

Top Bottom