What's new

OK Gents, mind ponying up GEM razor blade info?

So this is as blunt as I can make it. I see em, but I dunno if they are the real McCoy. Can anyone tell me what, if any 100 pack of SE GEM-like blades are actually good for shaving and not just paint scrapers?

There are lot of discussions about the blades which need to be triple facet and 0.009" thick and coated to qualify them for shaving .

Many SE blades are two facets, thinner and such which all who try them agree that they don't work for shaving.

Even if the intent of the blade manufacturer was to use a blade for paint scraping or use in a lab, the acid test for it is if your sensitive face skin is happy post shave with a blade.

There are so many DE blades which are made for shaving - which tear up some people's face while give a shave nirvana to others. There are so many classified as junk by most wet shavers !

What works for your face is a shave worthy blade

For me the Persona PTFE coated Gem blades in a 100 back give me the best shaves in a Micromatic razor. I am a happy man !

Sent from my MI MAX using Tapatalk

IMAG0318.jpg

3 facet, coated, and stainless steel works for me...

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
I just ordered another 50 two weeks ago from Connaught.

Screenshot_2018-11-02 Cart.png

I think that worked out to $0.29CAD per blade. Buying by 100 cuts the price even more.

View attachment 928989

I think that worked out to $0.29CAD per blade. Buying by 100 cuts the price even more.

I bought 400 and it came to $.15 per blade USD shipped... Between that and my Proline stash, I don't need anymore blades. That doesn't mean I won't buy more Prolines though!

View attachment 928989

Wow those are a lot of blades. But I "approve" of such an indulgence as I myself have some 400 PTFE blades from the same place.

Can anyone compare these to the Pal super or Treet blades available on Amazon ?

Sent from my MI MAX using Tapatalk

View attachment 928920

3 facet, coated, and stainless steel works for me...

This.

Accutec Blades, which owns Personna, makes the 3-facet, Stainless Steel, PTFE coated GEM format blades shown in @rabidus's photo. You can see the specs here. I got 500 of these blades from Connaught last August. They cost about 13 cents per blade - including Paypal currency conversion charges and the free shipping.

If you need the blades fast, The Razor Blade Co (RBCo) is a US vendor. RBCo's 62-0165 blades were delivered to me last July in the same Persona 62-0178 packaging shown in @rabidus's post. RBCo included a note saying that their "packaging has been updated" (lol). Packaging aside, RBCo's 62-0165s have the same specs as the Personna 62-0178s, as you can see by comparing the two web pages.

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
Wow those are a lot of blades. But I "approve" of such an indulgence as I myself have some 400 PTFE blades from the same place.

I would have bought more but I'm not sure if I'll switch to the AC format or not yet. 50 blades should be enough until I decide.

Top Bottom