What's new

OK Gents, mind ponying up GEM razor blade info?

I would have bought more but I'm not sure if I'll switch to the AC format or not yet. 50 blades should be enough until I decide.
I have both.
There is no difference, that is they both deliver.
They are obviously are different tools and everyone of requires a different technique.
But the quality of the shave and the Perssona GEMS are as good as the Feather AC Club.
If you already have one you don’t need the other.
But if you are like me you not only need them both but you also need many other razors too.
I don’t need both to shave better. That I can do with a DE razor also and I have some of those too.
I just wanted to try how is it and at this moment my preferred razor is The GEM MMOC with the Perssona blade.

I have both.
They are obviously are different tools and everyone of requires a different technique.
But the quality of the shave and the Perssona GEMS are as good as the Feather AC Club.
But if you are like me you not only need them both but you also need many other razors too.
I don’t need both to shave better. That I can do with a DE razor also and I have some of those too.
I just wanted to try how is it and at this moment my preferred razor is The GEM MMOC with the Perssona blade.
The thing about the Gem razors which has me so kicked each morning for a shave is they are so old and yet so modern in their design and build aesthetics. They are available so cheap and many are almost NOS / mint quality. I don't intend to buy any of the modern Gem razors as none of the current market offerings match the looks and style of a Gem Micromatic. Moreover, the shave from each of the three in the Micromatic family serves all levels of aggression and smoothness needs and I don't see how the shave quality can be improved outside of these three !

Sent from my MI MAX using Tapatalk

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
I have both.

The differences that might matter most to me are the added weight of the ATT and handle choices. The shape of the cap I'm less sure about. I do like the more flat GEM design but I'm curious about an SE with a more rounded profile like a DE. If I could change one thing on the MMOC it would be the handle. Other than that, it's pretty much perfect as is.

The width of the AC blades I wonder about. I'm not sure I'd like it or not.

I keep switching back to DE, but less all the time. Every time I have I've wondered why.

I've only had 2 shaves with my ER 1912, my first GEM razor, but particularly today it's shown me that the PTFE blade cuts better than my SE1 AC or my 6C. Part of this is that the acoustic feedback from the 1912 is really loud. I attribute this to being a bigger blade and resonating more, and the fact that the blade is less damped than a 3 piece with a heavy SS handle that screws everything tight. The head of the 1912 is quite an efficient soundbox. So in the final stages of removing tiny areas of short stubble the SE1 and 6C weren't engaging any more, whereas the 1912 could be clearly heard cutting when you got the angle and direction right. There was no sound to the SE1 or 6C to tell you if they were cutting or not.

Right now the 1912 is a novelty in my life, but I had enough faith in it after my first shave to order 200 PTFE blades. I found the shaving experience quite exciting - I'm a musician and acoustic feedback certainly adds to my overall shaving experience.

PTFE blades are the only ones that work for me. I've tried all of the ones available at TryABlade. Connaught or Ted Pella are typically the cheapest options.

I've only had 2 shaves with my ER 1912, my first GEM razor, but particularly today it's shown me that the PTFE blade cuts better than my SE1 AC or my 6C. Part of this is that the acoustic feedback from the 1912 is really loud. I attribute this to being a bigger blade and resonating more, and the fact that the blade is less damped than a 3 piece with a heavy SS handle that screws everything tight. The head of the 1912 is quite an efficient soundbox. So in the final stages of removing tiny areas of short stubble the SE1 and 6C weren't engaging any more, whereas the 1912 could be clearly heard cutting when you got the angle and direction right. There was no sound to the SE1 or 6C to tell you if they were cutting or not.

Right now the 1912 is a novelty in my life, but I had enough faith in it after my first shave to order 200 PTFE blades. I found the shaving experience quite exciting - I'm a musician and acoustic feedback certainly adds to my overall shaving experience.

The SE1 is quiet, you have to listen and feel. If you need more, pick up the SE2 and hold on tight! There are a couple of other AC SE's that are more efficient than the SE1, I haven't shaved with anything more efficient than the SE2.

I have no problem getting a long lasting BBS shave from the SS SE1, haven't used the aluminum version.

The differences that might matter most to me are the added weight of the ATT and handle choices. The shape of the cap I'm less sure about. I do like the more flat GEM design but I'm curious about an SE with a more rounded profile like a DE. If I could change one thing on the MMOC it would be the handle. Other than that, it's pretty much perfect as is.

The width of the AC blades I wonder about. I'm not sure I'd like it or not.

I keep switching back to DE, but less all the time. Every time I have I've wondered why.

I don't have the new Blackland Vector or have a desire to buy one, but it has a flatter cap and is probably in the neighborhood of the SE1 in efficiency from a few reviews I've seen. I haven't seen any reviews that would dethrone the SE1.

I haven't used the MMOC or MMCP in a while but they're probably the only GEM's that will coexist with the SE1 and SE2. More than likely, I will take one of them on vacation, travel razor... I do have over 300 GEM SS PTFE blades!

I bought a brand of PTFE coated blades called Ted Pella from a shaving guy on ebay. They work very well for me.

My GEM MMOC is maby 70-80 years old.
That’s a TTO not a three piece razor. That means it’s a complicate design and it works great and the shaves are excellent.
I wonder if someone will venture in producing a modern brass TTO SE razor.
The price will be enormous.
Definitely one of my best investments.

Top Bottom