What's new

Ok gem s/e shavers guys, what am i doing wrong

i just got my damaskeene gem, i put in a dollar store brand blade and nothing, it ujust didnt cut hairs. i had to use my newly aquirred old type to shave what the gem left behind. what did i do wrong here. please help!

Sounds like incorrect angle combined with bad blade.Get some Personna stainless or Pella blades and work on your angle of attack.Try shaving your sideburn area first.Everything will come together with a little practice.:wink::biggrin: Cheers Phil.

You shave with the razor cap lifted off the face, not sliding it along by the top.
You don't use cheap blades, only the GEM stainless steel blades are worth bothering with.
ie: These: http://www.shoeboxshaveshop.com/gem-superstainless-single-edge--5-p5.html The retail small packs that anyone trying SE for the first time can buy at walgreens etc to see if they like SE.

or these: http://www.bullgooseshaving.net/gemptcoseblt.html The so called Ted Pella blades that come in bulk packs of 100 which some people are willing to resell in smaller amounts. This is the blade that some SE shavers buy in bulk to save money as it works out cheaper than buying the retail personna packs

I didn't like anything else after trying all the sample packs. Most SE shavers agree if you search this and other forums, almost everyone agrees the stainless GEM (Ted Pella or personna) are the best.

Last edited:
I would guess that was part of the problem - probably a blade designed for scrapers. For around $2, I found Treet blades at my local Rite Aid, will be trying this next week in my Gem TTO.

ok, i did get the cheapo blades, im try the treets at rite aids, hope that works.

ok, i did get the cheapo blades, im try the treets at rite aids, hope that works.

The Treets are a better choice then the blades you picked to use first. I get a OK shave from them. The Gems at Walgreens give a better shave.
In fact I'm not sure the Treets are even Stainless as they discolor after the first use!

Treets are carbon, as are the PALs and the GEM blue stars. That's why I said the only blades worth buying are the stainless GEM by personnas and the GEM "ted pellas" blades. They are your only two choices for reliable easy shaves.

Now if you wanted to keep dipping your blades in alcohol and were a regular stropper, then the carbon blades by treet, bluestar and PAL may be OK. But if you wanted to use a GEM just like you do a DE, only the two stainless models I've mentioned are worth buying.

You were misinformed. The single blade razors are useless. I'll do you a big favor and take it off your hands.:wink:

Seriously, GEM's are great razors. When you get the hang of shaving with one, your DE's might just be gathering dust in your cabinet. I find shaving with a SE very satisfying. The thicker blade cuts with more authority than the thin DE's. For me, shaving with my G-Bar GEM is easy and very comfortable. Despite what I was afraid of, after one week I have yet to cut myself and irritation is nonexistent.

Keep at it, if your experience is anything like mine, you'll be very happy you did.

Treets are carbon, as are the PALs and the GEM blue stars. That's why I said the only blades worth buying are the stainless GEM by personnas and the GEM "ted pellas" blades. They are your only two choices for reliable easy shaves.

Now if you wanted to keep dipping your blades in alcohol and were a regular stropper, then the carbon blades by treet, bluestar and PAL may be OK. But if you wanted to use a GEM just like you do a DE, only the two stainless models I've mentioned are worth buying.

the treets sold in stores here are stainless. at least rite aid.

Alex,

I just shaved with my Damaskeene, and have a thick stubble. These Single Edge razors are really incredible in how much stubble the knock off and how smooth they are.

Don't hold it flat against the face, instead try with the handle almost parallel to the face. By the sound it makes, you will know when you get the right angle.

I had a good shave with the "Ted Pella" single-edge blades last night. I'm giving SE shaving another shake after a relatively poor first attempt (I was an inexperienced DE/SE shaver at the time, over a year ago). I found that yeah, you can't hold the flat of the razor head parallel to your face -- it just won't cut much at all. I'm by no means an SE expert or devotee, but I enjoyed my shave last night and think it would be a nice addition to my rotation.

Stick to it for a few more shaves!

Alex,

I just shaved with my Damaskeene, and have a thick stubble. These Single Edge razors are really incredible in how much stubble the knock off and how smooth they are.

Don't hold it flat against the face, instead try with the handle almost parallel to the face. By the sound it makes, you will know when you get the right angle.

I had a good shave with the "Ted Pella" single-edge blades last night. I'm giving SE shaving another shake after a relatively poor first attempt (I was an inexperienced DE/SE shaver at the time, over a year ago). I found that yeah, you can't hold the flat of the razor head parallel to your face -- it just won't cut much at all. I'm by no means an SE expert or devotee, but I enjoyed my shave last night and think it would be a nice addition to my rotation.

Stick to it for a few more shaves!
well, im trying out the gem blades and i did take a lil chunk of meat out, but i do like the ease of shaving with these s/e razors, im keep trying to master it with out taking out too much meat,lol

well, im trying out the gem blades and i did take a lil chunk of meat out, but i do like the ease of shaving with these s/e razors, im keep trying to master it with out taking out too much meat,lol

I am on about shave 15 with my Gem SE razors, and still had a total bloodbath of a shave today. It happens to all of us at some point. :eek::lol:

Top Bottom