What's new

OK, first shave with the feared Feather

Well gents, the big day finally arrived! I have to say I almost didn't do it because my shave from yesterday (incidentally with a new Feather blade in my Futur) produced such a close shave I wasn't sure my stubble was really long enough this morning.

Pah! I jumped in and tried anyway!:biggrin:

First impressions of the Feather Artist Straight Razor:

1. It's a well crafted bit of kit. Very modern looking (and therefore probably boring in the eyes of real straight fans), but still aesthetically pleasing to the eye.

2. It's not as heavy as I was expecting as I mentioned in my other post, but that's just my perception given I've never held a real straight razor either.

3. The blades are a piece of cake to load and unload, very straightforward and simple, also SAFE. There's actually never a time when you really need to even touch the blade thanks to the injector system and the fact the blade just drops out when you unload it. Good idea and keeps soft fleshy fingers away from scary sharp metal!:eek:

So, I decided to just go for it this morning. I went through my usual facial prep routine and my soap of choice was Taylors Lemon & Lime.

Here's how I got on:

1. I really wish I'd gone with a more lubricious soap, Proraso, Taylors Avocado or C&E Sweet Almond Oil probably would have been a better choice for my first straight shave. The Lemon & Lime is a great cream but I have noticed it is not nearly as slippery as the aforementioned. Not sure why I didn't consider this until after my shave but, well, you live & learn.

2. I opted for a 'guarded' blade for my first shave as I was basically too scared to go straight or a Super-Pro blade. I was already going to have the added difficulty of navigating those two bumps that had appeared behind my ears!:biggrin:

3. I am probably luckier than many first time Feather users in that I have a goatee, so undoubtedly the most tricky aspects of most mens shave are a no-issue for me. (Did I mention already I'm a big wimp!:biggrin: )

4. That left my cheeks and neck. I went for a light N-S pass to start with. The first thing I noticed was that these blades are definitely sharp! They certainly live up to their fearsome reputation. However, this shouldn't be a deal breaker for people, they are sharp but NOT out of control. It is, after all, you who are in control of this blade. If you don't think you're technique or cajones are up to it - stay away! And above all.....NO PRESSURE, this razor requires none at all or it will shred your face to ribbons.:eek:

5. This razor will slice through anything in it's path. If you have the tiniest of razor bumps, expect it to have the top nicked off and get a weeper. Be very careful around moles, scars, bumps or any other non-smooth surface. I had a few tiny red bumps (from my almost too close shave yesterday) and yup, you got it, those were the spots I got my weepers.

6. I stress, WEEPERS!! I was not ex-sanguinating on the bathroom floor and they were the kind that I knew would stop with just a splash of cold water.

7. My technique sucks! But hey, this was my first time. I can tell you right now though, I'm almost certainly going to be in the one handed straight shaver brigade. I tried holding the straight in my left hand but didn't even dare put it to my face for fear of serious injury. Nope, I'm just gonna have to bastardize my technique to allow me to do my whole face with my right hand. (Just curious, anyone else like this or am I once again proving to be a colossal wuss:rolleyes: )

8. The first pass I took real slow and having just got a couple of weepers I lathered up again and went for a very gentle across the grain pass.

9. Through a combination of my sucky technique, the wickedly sharp blades & the very close shave from yesterday, I could feel a couple of patches on my face that felt a bit raw so I called it quits after the second pass. I also didn't want to push my luck.

10. After cleaning up, stopping the weepers (alright, I admit, I had to use a styptic on one as it wouldn't stop after the cold water) and applying my post shave repair treatment of witch hazel and aloe vera (in the form of JASON Witch Vera) I let it all dry off. It really didn't look too bad at all. There was a couple of spots it was a little redder than what my DE would cause but not the bloodbath I was expecting at all.

11. End result? Here I am, a couple of hours later and running my hand across my face I can tell it's not as close as I can get with my Futur and a decent blade..........YET!

........................................................................................................................................................................

This razor undoubtedly commands respect and excellent technique. The first I have in bucket loads, this thing truly could do some horrendous damage to your face if you weren't extremely careful. The second is something I'll be working on in the coming weeks and months.

For my first straight shave, it wasn't too bad. There's a couple of places my face feels a bit raw but like I said, I think this is more a combination of yesterdays close shave and then using a straight for the the first time today. I am confident that given time, I may be able to achieve some really good shaves with this thing.

That said, I will more then likely give tomorrows shave a miss to let my face recover a bit before assaulting it with my Futur loaded with a Feather blade.

Ta-da! Long winded I know but I wanted to give as much information as I could to my fellow gentleman here at B&B. I've learned everything I know from this fantastic forum and wish to give back in any way I can.

Peace and thanks to you all.:thumbup:

Sounds like you made out without scarring your face up. Good! Now you have to work on your technique so you can get the baby butt smooth shaves one would normally get with the Feather Artist Club.

A few things to mention:

1) I started out with a goatee too but ended up shaving it because I like shaving with my Feather Artist Club so much.

2) You didn't mention ears in possible things the blade can cut through. Yes, I said through.

3) Weepers, I get them and probably won't stop, but they're gone by the time I get out of the shower.

4) I try to use a more lubricating shaving cream or soap too, it does help the razor glide across the face.

5) Practice technique on your forearms and/or inner thigh, that's what I did.

6) Don't give up!

7) Most importantly, welcome to the CLUB!!

AACJ said:
Practice technique on your forearms and/or inner thigh, that's what I did.

On the inner thigh?!? Sorry, don't think I could ever "practice" shaving with a straight that close to such valuable real estate. All it'd take is someone sneaking up on you or a sneeze/cough and you are heading for the OR for some reconstruction:eek: :eek: :eek: .

teamacacia said:
On the inner thigh?!? Sorry, don't think I could ever "practice" shaving with a straight that close to such valuable real estate. All it'd take is someone sneaking up on you or a sneeze/cough and you are heading for the OR for some reconstruction:eek: :eek: :eek: .

I wasn't talking about that far up, I wouldn't put anything sharp that close either. I was just talking about somewhere you can get a good angle on the blade to see what you are doing until the technique improves. I mean there's only so much hair on your arms you can shave off. :001_rolle

AACJ said:
I wasn't talking about that far up, I wouldn't put anything sharp that close either. I was just talking about somewhere you can get a good angle on the blade to see what you are doing until the technique improves. I mean there's only so much hair on your arms you can shave off. :001_rolle
I agree, but in my post-call haze from the hospital I found this to be interestingly funny. Nothing like a night of sewing up faces, pullng chest tubes, and trying to stop the dying from dying to get you going in the morning. Oh yeah, don't forget the caffeine.

teamacacia said:
I agree, but in my post-call haze from the hospital I found this to be interestingly funny. Nothing like a night of sewing up faces, pullng chest tubes, and trying to stop the dying from dying to get you going in the morning. Oh yeah, don't forget the caffeine.

I know what you mean, I'm a volutneer fire fighter/EMT, I package em up for you. We get maybe 3 or more EMS calls per night, usually a full arrest, diabetic coma/seizure or a good accident. Since our station is right off the highway and all the drunks usually hit the road (and other people) around 10:00pm to 2:00am. I like the accidents the best.

Nothing like coming off the high of driving a screaming fire engine or ambulance to a scene. You never know what you'll get.

woodbane said:
Now that just sounds painful!

No, it really wasn't. Looked much worse than it was. It was just me not paying attention coming on the upswing against the grain by my ear. It cut from front to back about 1/8 inch upwards.

Hi Andy,

Sounds like you did ok. I can't get a decent shave out of a straight, it kinda makes me want to get a Feather because at least you know the blade is at optimum sharpness without having to strop or hone.

I'd have one now I'm sure but you just can't get them in the UK.

Please, someone, prove me wrong!

woodbane said:
7. My technique sucks! But hey, this was my first time. I can tell you right now though, I'm almost certainly going to be in the one handed straight shaver brigade. I tried holding the straight in my left hand but didn't even dare put it to my face for fear of serious injury. Nope, I'm just gonna have to bastardize my technique to allow me to do my whole face with my right hand. (Just curious, anyone else like this or am I once again proving to be a colossal wuss:rolleyes: )

Nah, you're not being a wuss. I only hold it with my right hand. I'm right handed and my right hand is simply more coordinated then my left. If that weren't normal then we'd all be ambidextrious. Look at it this way, if your left hand isn't coordinated enough to write with then why would you even consider using it to drag a sharp piece of metal along your throat?

Scootch said:
Nah, you're not being a wuss. I only hold it with my right hand. I'm right handed and my right hand is simply more coordinated then my left. If that weren't normal then we'd all be ambidextrious. Look at it this way, if your left hand isn't coordinated enough to write with then why would you even consider using it to drag a sharp piece of metal along your throat?

I agree completely, don't beat your self up....I do the same thing as you and have no intention of stopping.

Jonnybc said:
Yeah but it does mean having a goatee! :lol:

John,

You aren't a fan of the noble goatee? I wear/have one and I love it... I think it is the mullet of beards (you can have that clean-shaven look, but with the "edge"/individuality that comes from having a beard). However, I DO NOT have a mullet, so we won't need to discuss that.

That said, I've had some sort of beard for more than a decade, since I was 15 years old (ranging from ranging from a simple soul patch to a wild Jerry Garcia/Grizzly Adams like beard... and almost everything imaginal between those two).

John,

I've had my goatee since my youngest was born. She turned 11 last week.

I can't imagine it not being there, although I can remember when there was more color in it!

Randy

NMMB said:
John,

You aren't a fan of the noble goatee? I wear/have one and I love it... I think it is the mullet of beards (you can have that clean-shaven look, but with the "edge"/individuality that comes from having a beard). However, I DO NOT have a mullet, so we won't need to discuss that.

That said, I've had some sort of beard for more than a decade, since I was 15 years old (ranging from ranging from a simple soul patch to a wild Jerry Garcia/Grizzly Adams like beard... and almost everything imaginal between those two).

I've had goatee albeit breifly,they only last for a few minutes, I was shaving down a full beard after 3 weeks climbing in switzerland where I didn't shave at all, I went through the (my) usual shaving routine:

Full beard.
Goatee with BIG sideburns
Sideburns are then reduced to about 2/3 down the length of my ear.
Moustache whose ends reach to my chin (Not sure what this is called)
Then it's either a slow trim down to a Charlie Chaplain moustache
Then clean shaven.

Sometimes I expose the chin first in a Lemmy from Motorhead style.

Usually takes about an hour, next time I do this I'll post some photos of the sequence.

I've always gone with the rationale of why shave AND have a beard!

Goatees look great on many, They don't suit me though

Jonnybc said:
...Moustache whose ends reach to my chin (Not sure what this is called)...

I believe that is a "Fu Manchu". I had one once where the ends hung down below the jawline for about an inch or so. It was entertaining, but not overly attractive.

S

Sam

I use my left hand to shave my left cheek area and the with the grain pass on the left side of my neck. I use my right hand for everything else.

sam

Top Bottom