What's new

OK, first shave with the feared Feather

I too had trouble switching hands when I first started using a straight. The biggest problem I had was my arm was in the way and I could not see what I was doing. I did however work on my technique and now I actually find it easier to shave my right cheek and neck with my right hand (I'm a lefty). What really makes it easier is how much easier I can pull the skin tight with my off hand.

That being said, don't try it if you aren't comfortable, but if you do just start out with a small area under your sideburns, then each time you use it shave a little further. That is the technique I used. I am far from an expert, only having shaved with a straight for about two months now but sometimes I think it is good to hear what other newbies are doing because we have problems the veterans haven't thought about in years.

NMMB said:
I believe that is a "Fu Manchu". I had one once where the ends hung down below the jawline for about an inch or so. It was entertaining, but not overly attractive.

I thought the Fu Manchu was specifically when it hangs below the chin. When it stops at the chin I think it's a 'sheriff mustache'.

Jim Thompson said:
I too had trouble switching hands when I first started using a straight. The biggest problem I had was my arm was in the way and I could not see what I was doing. I did however work on my technique and now I actually find it easier to shave my right cheek and neck with my right hand (I'm a lefty). What really makes it easier is how much easier I can pull the skin tight with my off hand.

That being said, don't try it if you aren't comfortable, but if you do just start out with a small area under your sideburns, then each time you use it shave a little further. That is the technique I used. I am far from an expert, only having shaved with a straight for about two months now but sometimes I think it is good to hear what other newbies are doing because we have problems the veterans haven't thought about in years.
That is good advice Jim.. even if you aren't from Bettendorf.:001_smile

Good job on the straight razor plunge. You are an inspiration to many of us! I'd love to try a feather straight razor. If I could do it over I'd have bought one instead of the strop, stone, razors and never be sure if I could get the blade sharp enough. If you are able to start getting really good shaves it will inspire me to continue working on my straight skills again.

-Brandon

Had my second attempt this morning gents.

Usual face prep followed by C&E Sweet Almond Oil Cream.

Single N-S pass on face and neck, all with right hand. Finished off with my trusty Futur and a feather blade.

Nary a nick or weeper or any irritation to be seen!

VERY PLEASED!!:biggrin:

Will be attempting my first two pass shave with it tomorrow night, gotta give the whiskers time to grow back, plus, that's my usual Friday routine anyway. it keeps me over the weekend until Monday AM.:biggrin:

Great Job Andy,
I've not tried a feather yet, but back when rocks were new and right before I joined SRP on Yahoo, I tried with both a Fromm hair shaper and a Pakistani straight, and from the sounds of it your experience was much better than my first tries...
I even received a few comments, to the effect of "What the H... did you shave with this morning, a Gillette "Jagged edge" razor or something?" I looked like the victim of a wild animal attack.
I also proceeded to attempt slicing my face in various locations....if you are having problems shaving your chin, just slice straight through!
Yeah, I should've paid more attention to the forums. It sounds as if you are doing brilliantly. If you are just in it for the quality of your shave, there is absolutely nothing wrong with a feather (I owe no allegiances...I like DE's, I like some straights, and I even own a Gillette Fusion. I have no shame). It is not cheating. However...if you want the FULL experience of a straight, there are few things that provide the same sense of accomplishment as that first time you actually nail it with the hone and strop, and the blade shaves as smooth as silk....it is easy, yet takes a good bit of practice to figure out the right feel....
And also....nothing at all wrong with shaving only right handed. I sometimes use my left, but primarily I still use only my right, especially for the against the grain pass. To see methods of using both hands, check out Lynn Abram's video or Chris Moss's PDF over at SMF,
different approaches for the same thing.
Personally....just do what feels best for you. There are no rules, just results.
John P.

Hope things are working out for you, Andy. I have persevered with the Feather, and I am very glad I did. After about the sixth shave or so, something clicked, and I started getting the most unbelievable shaves with the thing. There is nothing like a str8 for your neck and jawline - just phenomenal.

Interestingly, I find the ProGuard blades more comfortable than the Super-Duper Professionals, with no loss in shave quality.

Unfortunately, due to business trips i haven't really had the time to have any more shaves with my Feather.

I usually reserve it for Friday evenings, but as I leave for Utah EARLY on Saturday morning I don't want to risk having a bad shave and looking like hell for my journey. I was going to use a Super Pro blade for my shave as well. Ah well, it'll just have to wait until the end of the month.

More updates then, maybe a new thread.:biggrin:

Top Bottom