What's new

ok be honest

ok just how often do you find that everthing just comes together and you get the perfect shave ?
well im normally a everyday shaver but I skipped a day due to a small bit of redness from my last shave .
so today I got my normal soap ( yeh the green stick ) my normal razor and blade did my lather the normal way .
so why have I just had one of the best shaves ive had in months ?
go on be honest how often does this happen to you ?

Skipping a day will often do that. Try it again sometime if you can. I'd put money your shave would match today's.

I too get outstanding shaves after my Sunday off shaving. I think the blade gets an easier grip on the longer whisker. I don't know the technical term for it. Although I was using a new (to me) razor today.

Since finding the brush, razor and soaps I get on with, I have really good shaves every day! As you get more experience I think everything works together.

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
Interesting question.

First of all, I'll say that my worst shaves that I have these days, are notably better than my best shaves when I first started. It is very rare for me to draw blood, and I might get a little redness, which calls for a little balm as the day's post-shave on maybe 10-15% of my shaves. Even then, once the balm has been applied, job done. No discomfort.

With all that said, some shaves are still better than others. No two are identical. So how many are perfect? Well that depends what I set out to achieve. For me "perfection" is 100% BBS with zero irritation, but I don't strive for that every day. Often DFS is enough, or even SAS if I'm having a bad health day.

If I want absolute perfection for a specific event, having a 48 hour shave rather than 24 hour gives me best results, and I'm almost certain to get the shave I expect, even if it means adding an extra pass. In fact, if it's a special event, I'll shave early, then an hour or so later, I'll go on a "seek and destroy" mission (usually with just cold water - no soap) for any rogue stragglers that may have reappeared.

Just had a flawless shave yesterday! But I’d say at least 1 or 2 times per week for that blissful magical shave. I usually shave about 5-6 days per week

Strangely topical for me. Just had an exceptional shave today and not sure why. Fine American Blend soap and my new Chubby Synthetic made a perfect combination. Rarely have I had such a terrific shave from both products combined. Just dialed in correctly, I guess!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
If I ever was to be honest, and truly spoke my mind, I'd be sentenced for crimes against humanity.

VK1HHt2.jpg

The last poor shave I had was using a new to me soap that I didnt get along with. All of my shaves are very good to great. I do however, shave every other day.

For me, pretty much every day. I've spent a lot of time and money searching for the very best products out there. So after trying just about everything that exists, I've found the combination that works for me.

It's not about just scraping a blade across your face to clear the stubble. It's about what products make a noticeable difference in my skin. My face feels the very best it's felt in my entire life.

Some days the skin just cooperates perfectly and it all comes together. Other days it’s angry. I had an angry shave yesterday after being in a cool driving wind all day.

I shave most every day because I enjoy using my kit and I enjoy shaving these days!

That said, my standards have gone up substantially since I returned to traditional wet shaving. What was acceptable during my cart days is barely SAS (if that) these days!! Despite my higher standards I get BBS on average of once/twice per week on average!

I also shave nearly every day, but on the times i skip a Saturday or a Sunday, the following shave is always a great result.

The caveat is that by the evening of the day without a shave, my stubble gets itchy and requests i choose my gear for the next day immediately!

Having noticed this weird phenomenon myself, i’ve come up with my own personal conclusion. All shaving factors being consistent (i.e. favorite blade, soap, preshave, etc.) i think it really has to do with stubble length and how your skin is doing. If your stubble is at a certain length, it’s very difficult to cut. Think trying to break a small stick vs a long one. When the hairs are short i think they give a lot of resistance and are generally harder for the blade to “grab” which results in more buffing or passes and more irritation. Also, if you skin is not doing well (dry, irritated, etc.) that’ll contribute as well. I think the best shaves happen when stubble length is just right and your skin is doing well. Again, all other factors being accounted for.

Cuts, weepers, irritation and level of closeness is not what defines the goodness of my shave. If I enjoy it is what counts. A perfectly executed shave can be boring and uninspiring. I just take 'em as they come.

i think it really has to do with stubble length and how your skin is doing. If your stubble is at a certain length, it’s very difficult to cut. Think trying to break a small stick vs a long one. When the hairs are short i think they give a lot of resistance and are generally harder for the blade to “grab” which results in more buffing or passes and more irritation.
And that's why I stopped shaving everyday. I really enjoy shaving, I would shave every 2 hours If my skin could tolerate it. But I've found that shaving every other day gives me consistent BBS with no trouble. No scrapping, no irritation no sadness. It might sound weird but I feel sad when I don't get a near BBS shave. I feel that my day is incomplete :D

I’ve just had a great shave, one of those memorable shaves. Last time this happened was back in August in summer break

I think it’s a combination of a good prep, good lathering and great technique... hard to get it on a daily basis

Once every seven days, without fail, I have the best shave of the week. Usually, it's because the lather is perfect, and I pay more attention.

Top Bottom