What's new

Oily Skin

As someone months away from a half century in age and who has oily skin, I don't know of any shaving soaps I've used that have not worked, or made my skin more oily in some way. The usual failing of many soaps/croaps/creams is drying out the skin too much. Which I have had some issues with (but I don't think that's unique to oily skin). With that said, there are soooo many wonderful shaving soaps available now (tallow-based, vegan-based, etc.) that I don't think you can go wrong.

If you have had some problems though, let us know. We're all ready to help.

Soap with a simple ingredients list for instance MdC, the CBL Tonsorial discussed in another thread usually work out well. Might try avoiding lanolin too.

As someone months away from a half century in age and who has oily skin, I don't know of any shaving soaps I've used that have not worked, or made my skin more oily in some way. The usual failing of many soaps/croaps/creams is drying out the skin too much. Which I have had some issues with (but I don't think that's unique to oily skin). With that said, there are soooo many wonderful shaving soaps available now (tallow-based, vegan-based, etc.) that I don't think you can go wrong.

If you have had some problems though, let us know. We're all ready to help.

I haven’t had any problems.
Yesterday my wife asked the question and I thought it was a good question.

Great advice Fozzie!
I love Schaffmilch!
I’m going to try the Haslinger line.
A year of Haslinger soaps in the new year.

Another good option might be the La Toja shave stick, mineral salts contained in the soap supposedly can act as a drying agent, good for oily skin...not so good for dry skin!

I’ve not tried those yet.
What is your preference?

Matin de Candre is a classic, expensive but lasts a long! time. Lather explodes from the puck. Probably the post shave feel I look forward to the most. Le Pere Lucien especially the unscented is nice soap. Williams of course is great.

That said Tabac is probably the best soap ever made and has a ingredients list a mile long. As does Valobra soaps and Saponificio Varesino which work fine.

There's a craze right now for post shave feel in a soap. Limited trials using soaps folks described as hydrating, moiturizing, 'best post shave feel ever' didn't work out and I now avoid. Like soaps in this thread What soaps are... better... in post shave feel I'm sure these are a Godsend for folks with dry skin!

Last edited:
I will chime in for P&B soaps. Fortunately Kerry has not jumped on the greasy post shave bandwagon. With winters being around I can recommend P&B Spitfire. Man card up with very masculine scent of tobacco, juniper and leather.

Matin de Candre is a classic, expensive but lasts a long! time. Lather explodes from the puck. Probably the post shave feel I look forward to the most. Le Pere Lucien especially the unscented is nice soap. Williams of course is great.

That said Tabac is probably the best soap ever made and has a ingredients list a mile long. As does Valobra soaps and Saponificio Varesino which work fine.

There's a craze right now for post shave feel in a soap. Limited trials using soaps folks described as hydrating, moiturizing, 'best post shave feel ever' didn't work out and I now avoid. Like soaps in this thread What soaps are... better... in post shave feel I'm sure these are a Godsend for folks with dry skin!

Tabac won’t pass muster with the LOML. She likes the scent of Prorasso Red and curiously Bay Rum. She says she likes spicy scents (Old Spice?). I have been intrigued by SV and Valobra. I think I will try them after the Haslinger trials.
You have given me something to consider. Thanks!

Top Bottom