What's new

Oily face? . what i found out when i started wet shaving

so for several years I have had oily skin, I was always bugged by it and would often carry those little alcohol face wipes to wipe off my oily face and forehead.
It wasn't until I started wet shaving that I realized my problem was from dry skin, yeah I would of never thought oily skin was from my skin being dry but I started using a different face soap ( Burt's Bees natural skin care for men bar soap ) and also after my wet shave I have been using Thayer's witch hazel (no alcohol w/ aloe ) and then been using the Nivea sensitive post shave lotion.
Since doing this routine my face looks 100% better and my skin is now hydrated and not producing the oil it once did when my skin was dry. Just thought I would pass this info on in case you are one of those with an oily face ..

below is some useful info I found online ...

Those who have oily, acne-prone skin are often told to avoid oil and moisturizers when in fact, doing so will only make matters worse! Let me explain….
Oily skin can also be dehydrated skin! Confused? Don’t be – your skin needs a balance of oil and water to be healthy. If your skin feels tight yet greasy, it’s likely that you have dehydrated (while being oily) skin.
Skin that is dehydrated and oily is often caused by a self-induced overproduction of oil…. What I mean is the person was originally suffering from dry skin (likely long ago) and their skin started producing extra oil to compensate. Instead of addressing the lack of hydration problem (most people don’t realize that this is the problem), the person instead tries to fix the side effect: the overproduction of oil, by using oil stripping and/or drying products…. which only makes the underlying cause (dehydrated skin) worse. Your skin reacts by producing even more oil. Can you see the cycle? It’s one that many people are caught in!

The solution (then and now) is to hydrate the skin

I think there's some truth to that, but I can't use too much moisturizer or my skin is just that much more oily. I do like Thayer's w/ Aloe as it leaves my skin feeling just right. I prefer oil free moisturizers though or just the Thayers and nothing else. ASB's seem to increase the chance of ingrowns for me or I'll get some pimples. Nivea Sensitive wasn't bad, but it still clogged my pores at times. I've tried the "non-aggressive' approach to cleaning my face along with more moisturizing and I just ended up with acne and ingrowns. I can't go too aggressive with cleaning, but I tend towards the middle of the road in my old age. I do use some exfolients and scrubs, but just not every day.

I've found drinking enough water is really key for my skin as well as my digestion. I always get at least 8-12 glasses of water in each day along with some black coffee and unsweetened tea. My skin always looks and feels better if I hit or exceed the 12 glasses of water.

I had the same problem with oily skin before and never used a moisturizer. Started using a daily moisturizer and my face is much less oily. Took some trying out of different moisturizers before I found the one that works best for me.

I had the same problem with oily skin before and never used a moisturizer. Started using a daily moisturizer and my face is much less oily. Took some trying out of different moisturizers before I found the one that works best for me.

the Thayer's witch hazel w/ aloe ( no alcohol ) works great as a moisturizer after shaving to .. my wife had a problem with eczema on her legs and the witch hazel cleared it up after about 1-week.

Don't forget to wash your face daily and, if possible, use an astringent solution, as well. Using wintergreen rubbing alcohol or witch hazel after washing improves the chance of clearing up your skin's oils by 36%.

Thanks for this. I have this problem. I may try coconut oil to hydrate after my alcohol free witch hazel after shave splash.

I wash my face 2x/day (whether or not I am shaving) with a gentle soap (Tom's of Maine Sensitive Natural Beauty Bar Soap with Soothing Chamomile) and follow up with Lucky Tiger After Shave and Face Tonic. My facial skin never looked better.

Thanks for this. I have this problem. I may try coconut oil to hydrate after my alcohol free witch hazel after shave splash.

I've tried coconut, Jojoba and Argon oil. They're all good, but I found argon oil to be the best for me. I just use it at night before going to bed and it has made a huge difference in how my skin feels and looks. During the day, I use moisturizer with SPF. My skin has never been better; I just wish I would have started doing this 20 years ago [emoji30]

I wash my face 2x/day (whether or not I am shaving) with a gentle soap (Tom's of Maine Sensitive Natural Beauty Bar Soap with Soothing Chamomile) and follow up with Lucky Tiger After Shave and Face Tonic. My facial skin never looked better.

I've tried coconut, Jojoba and Argon oil. They're all good, but I found argon oil to be the best for me. I just use it at night before going to bed and it has made a huge difference in how my skin feels and looks. During the day, I use moisturizer with SPF. My skin has never been better; I just wish I would have started doing this 20 years ago [emoji30]

Thanks guys! :biggrin1: Those look like great suggestions. I'll have to continue my search if the coconut oil doesn't work. I think I can pick up all of those things nearby.

I’ve only started doing this myself. For me, I’m using generic witch hazel and then St. Ives lotion. I haven’t used it long enough—or with other brands to really have a clear view of what I’m doing—but I can already notice a difference in the way my skin feels. Even my hands from applying the product. My dogs feel softer, everything to my hands feels softer. My face is starting to clear up a little bit, but my skin has always been somewhat good through my years of zero treatment.

If anyone is watching this thread, I’d really reccomend any kind of witch hazel at your local supermarket. $2.50 isn’t going to be missed if the smell (it does smell awful, thankfully the smell barely lasts a literal minute) or the effects don’t do it for you. It really is a game changer, and really at that measly price anyone can afford to fall in love or throw the bottle away!

I've struggled with an oily face for a very long time too. I actually just tried exfoliating my skin yesterday for the first time, and I am actually surprised by the difference this morning. I just used Clean & Clear Deep Clean Exfoliating Wash that I picked up at Walmart for like $4. I did this before I had a shave, on my forehead, nose, upper cheeks, and temples. The sensation was sort of unpleasant at first, as the wash has a "cooling effect," which feels more like burning your skin off. But after I used it, then washed my face, it felt great! This morning when I woke up, my face feels super soft and my skin actually looks quite clear. I noticed that I even got rid of some troublesome blackheads that I've been struggling with on my nose.

So my suggestion for an oily face, is try exfoliating! Just by the nature of the wash I used, I think I'll only do this like two times a week at most. The small beads in the wash seemed pretty abrasive, and the burning sensation may be a little much for some people to handle. Also, I found that washing my face at least two times a day helps to keep the oily skin at bay somewhat. You can also just splash your face with water a few times a day and wipe down with a paper towel if you aren't able to do a full wash with soap. NEVER wash your face with hand soap! I did this before and my skin was red and irritated for the rest of the day.

Whilliam

First Class Citizen
I’ve only started doing this myself. For me, I’m using generic witch hazel and then St. Ives lotion. I haven’t used it long enough—or with other brands to really have a clear view of what I’m doing—but I can already notice a difference in the way my skin feels. Even my hands from applying the product. My dogs feel softer, everything to my hands feels softer. My face is starting to clear up a little bit, but my skin has always been somewhat good through my years of zero treatment.

If anyone is watching this thread, I’d really reccomend any kind of witch hazel at your local supermarket. $2.50 isn’t going to be missed if the smell (it does smell awful, thankfully the smell barely lasts a literal minute) or the effects don’t do it for you. It really is a game changer, and really at that measly price anyone can afford to fall in love or throw the bottle away!
I mix witch hazel with 4711 in about a 4:1 ratio to kill the smell. Also add a few drops of glycerin. Makes for a great aftershave and all-over face wipe. (The thing I like about 4711 is that the fragrance rapidly dissipates, so it doesn't interfere with any fragrance that I apply afterwards.)

Whilliam

First Class Citizen
I wash with Noxzema mornings and evenings. When I shower, I let my H&S shampoo serve as my face wash. Totally controls my oily skin and seborrheic dermatitis without undue stripping or drying.

Top Bottom