What's new

Oil the Threads of a DE Razor?

Wow all this preventive maintenance. All I do for my vintage gillettes (brass) and modern stainless razors is to give them a few shakes and pat dry the outside. 5 seconds tops. I never disassemble unless changing the blade. And I never lube anything. In 5 years of doing that I've had no issues with the brass or stainless razors in my den.

The only one I've had an issue with is a zamak merkur. It has some corrosion. So I can see all the preventive maintenance for zamak razors. But it seems overkill to me for razors made from the more durable metals.

I use Wahl clipper oil, which is a mineral oil, but the advantage for me is it comes with a fine applicator tip making it possible to put just a tiny amount on the threads. Great for pocket knives too, where too much oil attracts lint and other funk.

1603116893885.png

1st ballistol.
its cheap, medical grade white oil, dermatologically tested and classified as 'very well', no harm even when you drink that stuff. +comes in handy for uncountable applications at home - in all honesty, i wouldnt buy it if i just wanna use it for razors i think, but if you a collector, why not.

2nd tsubaki oil - japanese women use it for their hair, their men for their blades. its natural, cheap & harmless

You can use a cotton swab with one or two drops of a Singer oil and pass ONLY on the threads,you can gently thread the cotton swab into the handle. Making this two or three times on a year will not kill you or give you a cancer!

ERS4

My exploding razor knows secrets
I use silicone oil.
1. Thick enough to slow down wear.
2. Does not corrode metals.
3. Will not corrode rubber or plastic, suitable for razors with o-ring or washer.
4. No effect on human body. Many food processing machines are used for lubrication, and lipsticks on the market are often added.
5. It will not dry up, so it can maintain its effectiveness for a long time.
6. Strong adhesion to metal, so the anti-rust and lubrication period is longer.

musicman1951

three-tu-tu, three-tu-tu
I'm another "don't use nothing" guy. But I don't use zamak razors, so I can't promise that's a good plan for everyone.

Chrome plated Zamak razors are the most common type of DE razor, & should have their threads lubricated occasionally. Galling can occur in chrome-to-chrome contact, & it's to prevent it that lube is recommended. Failure of the chrome plating can expose the underlying zinc alloy, which can corrode very quickly. Any kind of lube is acceptable, from Vaseline, petroleum jelly, mineral oil/wax based lubricants like Ballistol, household lubricant, clipper or gun oil, candle wax, grease, silicone oil or silicone grease, baby oil, anti-galling dry lubricant, or even shaving soap. The last contains metallic stearates which are effective E.P. lubes & anti-galling compounds & are found in industrial greases for that purpose, though mostly in lithium or sodium bases. Calcium based greases also exist for operation in wet conditions - in other words, soap scum is an effective anti-galling compound. Unfortunately, soap scum looks a lot like zamak corrosion, & it can be difficult to differentiate between the two.

Cooking oils work but can turn rancid & sticky over time, so if they are used, the residue should be removed periodically & fresh oil applied.

Some better known Zamak razor manufacturers have recently (2017 onwards) taken steps to reduce issues with failure of chrome plating. Muhle now uses a top cap with a brass thread, & has a brass thread insert inside the handle. Edwin Jagger now advertises on their website that their handles are made of brass.

Brass is a self lubricating material, & doesn't need lubrication. Most vintage razors are made of brass. Some modern razor manufacturers also use brass.

Stainless steel razors don't really need lubrication, as the material is very durable. But adding the occasional drop of lube does make operating stainless razors easier, as austenitic stainless is also prone to galling to some extent. For those who disassemble their razor after every shave, it can cause some thread wear over time if left unlubricated.

Aluminium razors do not have chrome plating, but aluminium also suffers from galling issues. More so than stainless steel, but less than titanium. While not lubricating aluminium razors is less likely to lead to failure due to corrosion, the higher coefficient of friction found in aluminium-to-aluminium contact makes it advisable to lubricate the threads so as to make opening /closing aluminium razors easier. Graphite grease or powder should NOT be used on aluminium.

Titanium alloy is very prone to galling, more so than aluminium, & should be lubricated for ease of movement of threads. While titanium razors are not plated & will not suffer from corrosion issues, lubrication helps threads operate smoothly.

Friction Coefficients.

Last edited:

ylekot

On the lookout for a purse
Vegetable oil and the like can go rancid if not fully cleaned out occasionally. Not for lubrication except in an emergency.

Never ever use any kind of industrial lubricant. If any of it leaks out onto your face, you're going to get irritation or rashes.

Always use baby oil or any kind of massage oil should be fine.

I use J&J baby oil to lube my vintage gillette TTO and merkur 37C from time to time.

Top Bottom