What's new

Oil shaver needs help with soap/cream

Hello everyone,

I usually shave with just oil and get close, comfortable shaves but every couple of years I get tempted to try some soaps and creams. Today I used the same razor and blade as I did on my last shave but instead of shave secret I used captains choice north soap. I had a rough, bloody shave and my skin feels dry afterward.

Other times I have tried soaps it isn't quite so bad but it is frustrating. Not sure if I am doing something wrong with my lathering? Today wasn't a super thick lather but it wasn't running down my face or anything. Does the thickness of the lather make a big difference?

When I shave with oil, I will wet each section just before shaving so the area is wet. When using soap, I don't add the water to each section because the soap is there. I think this may have something to do with the different kinds of shaves I am getting.

Any advice appreciated. Thanks!

I’ve noticed shave soap alone doesn’t provide enough slickness for my stubble. Recently I started applying a glycerin preshave soap and then paint the lather on my face. Incredible improvement.

Another thought:
My barber lathers my face and lets sit for 5 minutes prior to washing it off. Then he relathers for the shave. As I understand, there is enough alkaline content in the shave soap to act as a preshave.

I’ve noticed shave soap alone doesn’t provide enough slickness for my stubble. Recently I started applying a glycerin preshave soap and then paint the lather on my face. Incredible improvement.

Another thought:
My barber lathers my face and lets sit for 5 minutes prior to washing it off. Then he relathers for the shave. As I understand, there is enough alkaline content in the shave soap to act as a preshave.
I'll try that with the glycerin soap. Thanks.

Top Bottom