What's new

oil on whet stones

Shows what I know, lol.

One of the interesting points in the video Cliff makes which I’ve seen first hand having worked in industrial grinding, is that the distinction between abrasives appropriate for water use or oil use is pretty much artificial. The types of relatively soft, resin bonded abrasives we associate as water appropriate are mostly used with oil across the grinding and sharpening world in industry because oil has superior properties to water in basically all domains (heat dissipation, abrasive life, part tolerance, etc). I worked with some center less grinding wheels that were an organic shellac bond, soft enough to gouge with a fingernail that were used with oil. Even Shapton says you can use their stones with oil.

32BA06CC-DA68-4F55-AA21-D86C762F14C5.png

Oil won’t hurt the stone but your issues are probably nothing to do with the choice of honing fluid.

There’s an interesting CliffStamp video where he uses a King 1K stone with oil and it works fine.
Any problems with going back to water after an absorptive stone is used with oil?

Any problems with going back to water after an absorptive stone is used with oil?

I imagine it can be problematic for most oils but not impossible. I’ve used Ballistol on Waterstones and that can be rinsed out in water since it is a water soluble oil. Something like mineral oil would probably need a soak in some kind of detergent, or multiple soaks.

It’s definitely not a choice to make lightly but the “you’ll ruin the stone” narrative isn’t true from my experience.

Good example is Japan itself, if you watch a lot of videos of sharpening many shops use this kind of greenish yellow liquid in the honing baths, I managed to find it one time and it’s some kind of industrial cutting oil.

I wouldn't on a synthetic stone. It's not recommended. natural stones are different. But I agree with the above post that says its most likely not what you put on your stone that is causing the issue.

thp,

thanks for weighing in.

I much prefer using mineral oil for sharpening in general.

That info makes my day. 😊👍

Legion

Staff member
Once the oil has soaked into the middle there would be no getting it out. And it would keep rising to the surface. It would forever be an oil stone, for better or worse.

I once tried putting a synthetic into simple green to clean it. It dyed the stone green, and tried to eat the binder.

Shuddering at the idea of using oil on my beloved Shapton Glass stones.

If you think that water vs oil is an important issue in getting a proper edge on your synthetic Japanese water stones, well, it's not. It's something else. Technique, probably. Choice of stones, maybe.

Once the oil has soaked into the middle there would be no getting it out. And it would keep rising to the surface. It would forever be an oil stone, for better or worse.

I once tried putting a synthetic into simple green to clean it. It dyed the stone green, and tried to eat the binder.

What synth was this?!

I've done quite a lot of testing of this on all sorts of different stones, natural and synthetic. And pretty much exclusively have found oil to be better.

And if you clean a stone after using it, and don't bathe it in oil, then you can chop and change ime. If something's been used with oil previously it can make a small difference to the way that mud or slurry forms, but for razors you're never working with any particularly significant amount of slurry, so the difference will be unnoticeable.

The only things I wouldn't really do it with are high-end, soft and muddy jnats.

If the stone is fully saturated with water and you add oil, how much would actually soak in? I agree that this would probably not change the OP's honing issues, but i do think it is an interesting subject.

Legion

Staff member
What synth was this?!
The white side of the Disco Hone.

David

B&B’s Champion Corn Shucker
What synth was this?!
I did it to a chosera 1k after accidentally getting oil on it. The C1k is already green of course but the simple green turned the top layer into mashed green potatoes. Luckily I was able to lap past the bad and still use it to this day so no long term damage.

I did it to a chosera 1k after accidentally getting oil on it. The C1k is already green of course but the simple green turned the top layer into mashed green potatoes. Luckily I was able to lap past the bad and still use it to this day so no long term damage.

Something to do with magnesia bonded stones perhaps then...?

Slash McCoy

I freehand dog rockets
I was actually thinking about breaking out my awesado and trying it with oil. After all I haven't used it with water in two years.

Steve56

Ask me about shaving naked!

Yes.

Yes

I was actually thinking about breaking out my awesado and trying it with oil. After all I haven't used it with water in two years.

The Japanese use an oily honing media with JNats, I’ve ‘de-oiled’ many of them more or less. The only reason to use oil on a JNat is that the stone isn’t fine enough, or more likely because that’s what so-and-so did.

Top Bottom