What's new

Oil on Coticule

Has anyone done this and did you notice increase in keenness? I tried mineral oil on my coti and I feel like it increased its sharpness. I’ll shave tomorrow!

It is my favorite way to finish on the coticule! Note not all coticules are finishers but this has always improved whatever coticule I was using. Clean the stone off whenever you are done if you want to keep using it with water

Legion

Staff member
I did it when all I had was a LPB, and I think it made a little difference. Eventually I just added a second coti that was easier to finish on and saved myself the cleanup.

Have you tried dish soap? That can help as well, and rinses right off.

Has anyone done this and did you notice increase in keenness? I tried mineral oil on my coti and I feel like it increased its sharpness. I’ll shave tomorrow!
Yes I have used oil with different results on different coticules. Different viscosities will also change your results so try thick and thin.

Thanks guys! I am still testing this coti out. She seems like a buggard.

I have tried dish soap before without success. I went back to the 5 and 10K to see if I missed time on those stones. Maybe the edge was lacking at mid work.

Thanks guys! I am still testing this coti out. She seems like a buggard.

I have tried dish soap before without success. I went back to the 5 and 10K to see if I missed time on those stones. Maybe the edge was lacking at mid work.
Do you have any glycerin? That is worth a try also.

After having used water, running water, glycerin, dish soap, lather, smith's, straight mineral oil, thinned mineral oil, and baby oil...it's baby oil for the win in my book right consistency and actually smells decent. Also, I just wipe with a napkin and it's ready for water again...no muss no fuss. Keenest edges I've had from the coti.

Sent from my SM-G981V using Tapatalk

Important to have a really solid bevel set for a good coticule edge. I say go ahead and try it out with oil. I wouldn't be shy with how much you use either, cheers

After having used water, running water, glycerin, dish soap, lather, smith's, straight mineral oil, thinned mineral oil, and baby oil...it's baby oil for the win in my book right consistency and actually smells decent. Also, I just wipe with a napkin and it's ready for water again...no muss no fuss. Keenest edges I've had from the coti.

Sent from my SM-G981V using Tapatalk

Interesting. I’ll have to possibly try!

Ballistol is mineral oil with a surfactant added. So when you rinse it off, it mixes with water and cleans off easily.

I dilute my Ballistol with water to speed up the honing.

Update: I took the cutthroat back to the 5 and 10K. I then did the coticule with oil for 5 minutes. Great edge!

It is possible to achieve the same, or probably better, edges without using a lubricant. But it requires learning to lighten touch to the same degree that using a lubricant offers.
The lubricant is reducing friction caused by an unnecessary amount of downward force. Floating the blade on running water when finishing does the same thing, but its more effective because it clears auto-slurrying issues.

Although not oil and not my idea, I have used talcum powder on a coti for finishing laps with nice results (no water). I believe that originally came from a tip on this forum...but I could be wrong.

Although not oil and not my idea, I have used talcum powder on a coti for finishing laps with nice results (no water). I believe that originally came from a tip on this forum...but I could be wrong.

Indeed a very good tip, I saw it being mentioned on the old Coticule forum as well back in the day

Top Bottom