What's new

Oil Cleansing. Don't be scared!

After using this product for a month I've decided it's not for me. I'm going back to African Black Soap which in the past has worked wonders. Also I have some mild blemishes on my back that I use spectro jel for.

Boy I love the things I learn from lurking around these forums. Without B and B I never would have even heard about OCM. I just mixed up a 50/50 castor oil-EVOO mixture and rubbed it in before applying a hot towel. I did the hot towel four times before wiping the oil off my face. Afterward, my face felt so soft and moist I decided to pull out the Proraso and my Futur and have a shave! Even if I don't use this method as a face cleansing, I think I found a new pre shave routine to throw into the rotation!

Penn

I've just started this guys, I'm 34 with acne prone skin I did a 30/70 mix of castor and EVOO as my first was probably to drying.

seems to be going well so far, here's hoping!

Just had a crack at this myself, followed by some Aveeno moisturiser and then a bath (damn these prewar council houses not having showers!), after my bath I applied a bit of Trumpers skin food, and my face feels great, clean, non-greasy but soft and not dry. Hope this continues.

Wow. I just finished reading all 26 pages in this thread. I feel like i deserve a medal. or maybe some sample of your formulas from some of you guys that have been doing this for years..haha
Im off to the Health Food store to get some extra virgin olive oil, and the cold pressed castor oil. wish me luck..

Anybody use this that suffers from serious razor bumps? Did it alleviate them in anyway? As a black male this is my biggest issue right now.

shower
apply prorasso white preshave balm
use prorasso white cream/tobs sandlwood/or just recently Mitchells Wool Fat
Post shave
alum bar
Tend Skin
Neutrogena Razor defence cream
Nivea for men Aftershave balm

I tried to read through all the pages myself but had to stop at page 8, just too many of the same replies.

I have extremely sensitive skin andstill have minor acne at age 25 (on medication which is helping), mainly whiteheads though which are really stubborn. I have been trying to discover ways to get rid of it.
I know this thread is really old but hopefully somone can answer:
1. Is this more of a type of process to replace exfoliating or just everyday cleaning? I was thinking this is the type of thing that might benefit my skin maybe 2-3 times a week, then see how it goes.
2. Would you still continue to use your gentle skin cleanser/face wash at times your not doing this?
3. If you end up leaving too much oil on your skin, will it clog your pores?

try it a few times a week and see how you like it. On other days your regular cleanser is fine. I use it pretty much daily and don't use regular soap or other cleansers on my face--except in morning I use Aveeno Daily scrub which is very very mild and gives me an incredible shave. If you do three of the hot towel compresses on the face you shouldn't have any oil left when you use the towel to wipe off your face.
you may have to experiment with the castor vs other oil ratios to find what works best for you. I use 20% castor and 80% jojoba oil with a few drops of lavender oil for scent. I sometimes put in a few drops of glycerine and tea tree oil too. I usually make an 8oz batch at a time. I use about the size of between a quarter and fifty cent piece.
try it--you may just like it!!

It is an every day cleansing method but it can be tricky to find the right combination for your skin. To make sure I get it all off I use the hot water/towel till I have gotten it all off and then I do another 2 times just to be certain but overall in the year that I have been using this method it has actually got rid of the acne I have been suffering with for close to 20yrs. The first couple weeks my skin got worse before it got better though (which is a regular occurrence).

I personally use 60% Jojoba, 30% castor with 10% almond with some vitamin E and tea tree oil.

Thanks Ticman & Canadian Cowbell, that's some good advice.

I have over the past few months, before the advice of any forum, been using jojoba oil for my nose corners and sides, to try to prevent new blackheads, and it has been somewhat effective. I have a bunch on my nose anyway like most men I know. I put it on and leave it on all day as I've found it prevents those whitheads forming in the valley on sides of nose..

I feel that it may be too expensive to use as a daily wash IMO, if similar results can be achieved with castor oil + EVOO. I paid like $10 for a bottle which wouldn't last too long (Desert Essence i believe?)

Thanks again for the more updated version of your experience.

Last edited:
I have heard about this over and over and decided to give it a go.

I did about 1/3 apricot oil, 1/3 coconut oil, 1/3 castor -- the two moisturizing ones are just what I had on hand.

I think maybe I need to up the castor a bit. My skin feels pretty clean, but there's still a touch of shine. Oily skin type, predictably.

Just wondering... does anyone have any tricks to make this less messy? I did it in the shower, but I don't know if that made it better or worse. I'm finding oil here and there all over the place. Fortunately my skin practically drinks oil, but it's still kind of annoying. Also, how do you wrap your face and breathe!? There's got to be a trick to that I'm not quite getting.

Top Bottom