What's new

Oil Based V. Water Based Pomade's

Water Based or Oil Based Pomade?

• Water Based Pomade

• Oil Based Pomade

• Both

Results are only viewable after voting.
We have the Renaissance of Pomade thread, but I thought this is better suited as a separate thread. My question is fairly simple, Oil Based or Water Based Pomade? Why do you choose or prefer one over the other? If you could only have one pomade would it be oil based or water based?

I was initially concerned about the oil and started with layrite. But, I picked up some SGB and haven't looked back. So, oil based for me. It looks better and doesn't have the crunchy texture that water based do.

I've tried both and prefer oil based, it just seems like my skin can't take it. I break out pretty bad close to my hairline. That causes me to stick to water based. That's still way better then gel for me.

tankerjohn

A little poofier than I prefer
I'm just getting into it, but I'm liking oil-based for the traditional feel and price. Not nearly as hard to wash out as I thought/feared.

I've just started in this (wonderful) world of pomades. Water based for now, because I'm concerned for the "staining-removing" issue... but I know I'll end up trying the oily ones.

I use both almost on a daily basis. I just use a small amount of water based pomade on top of my oil based to make sure my part and cowlick stay in check.

I use both almost on a daily basis. I just use a small amount of water based pomade on top of my oil based to make sure my part and cowlick stay in check.

Other way around for m. Oil based on top of water based. Washes out a lot better for me.

I also like the smell of many oil based pomades better. Water baseds seem to have a sickly sweet processed candy smell, while oil baseds have a more refined and sophisticated natural smell

Oil based, no question.

+1

I'm glad to see oil based pulling up near the lead. I tried water based pomade once but when that stuff runs, from sweat or rain, it's the worst. Oil takes a little skill in successful application and cleansing but is far superior IMO.

+1
I'm glad to see oil based pulling up near the lead. I tried water based pomade once but when that stuff runs, from sweat or rain, it's the worst. Oil takes a little skill in successful application and cleansing

Agreed, oil based is more durable then water based. Removing oil based pomades can be made easier with degreasing shampoo's. I have purchased once such shampoo made by Atomic and it works quite well.

How is your pillow the morning after you sleep? I'm a morning shower guy...

I don't notice pomade on my pillow covers but I don't saturate my hair with it. Just enough to get lasting style. I don't want my hair to look too greasy either. It took some experimenting with different pomades but eventually I found one. For me it's Murray's NuNile it helps me achieve my desired style, just a come over on a high-crop, without much hassle.

I only wash it out once a week or so. I use a normal shampoo and conditioner every day but when I want to wash out the pomade I use either a degreasing shampoo or Groom and Clean.

Marco

B&B's Man in Italy

Chris, "pillow staining" when using an oil based pomade is a common theme, but it's absolutely false. If you use the pomade in the right proportions it won't stain anything. I'm unable to exactly explain why, but once in the hair the pomade tends to gradually lose that waxiness and stickiness that you get on your hands when immediately applying it.

Chris, "pillow staining" when using an oil based pomade is a common theme, but it's absolutely false. If you use the pomade in the right proportions it won't stain anything. I'm unable to exactly explain why, but once in the hair the pomade tends to gradually lose that waxiness and stickiness that you get on your hands when immediately applying it.

Marco, you read my mind. I had been meaning to post back in here that I have yet to see staining in my pillow (light crème sateen cotton). Only staining I've noticed is SGB when I wiped some excess off my hands on a white towel.

Marco, you read my mind. I had been meaning to post back in here that I have yet to see staining in my pillow (light crème sateen cotton). Only staining I've noticed is SGB when I wiped some excess off my hands on a white towel.

I've had the problem only one time that I can remember and it was while using Royal Crown Hair Dressing (not the pomade) close to the Equator on a ship. Just came down from watch and the stuff was melting out of my hair - being too tired to shower, I laid down for some sleep. Bad choice.

+1

I use Groom n Clean and if my hair is a tad dry looking I add 3-6 drops of Lucky Tiger Rose Oil and work it in then style as normal.

Top Bottom