What's new

Ohio Farmer Cleveland OH SR with 5/8" blade

I haven't been active on the forums for a while, and am quite happy with my DE and SE shaving results. I want to step it up a notch and try out a SR. I bought the subject razor used, and it appears to be in excellent condition (NOS). I have yet to receive it, but it should be here in a couple days. I ordered a strop from TomoNagura (etsy), and a whetstone from amazon (lots of good reviews). I know it isn't $$$ stone, but should work. Anyway, my question is, has anyone heard of this razor? It is stamped made in Germany, and has Lawrence Publishing Co. on the blade. Out the door it was almost $17. It is made in Germany, so I figured the blade quality should be good. Thoughts?

Attachments

• SR Lawrence publishing co.jpg
    SR Lawrence publishing co.jpg
    124.3 KB · Views: 34
  • Ohio Farmer.jpg
    Ohio Farmer.jpg
    138.5 KB · Views: 35
I'm just beginning with straight razors, and can't give information about the quality of the razor. But I was looking at another Ohio Farmer straight razor and found some information about The Ohio Farmer and Lawrence Publishing.

This is from 1915:
M.J. Lawrence, one of Cleveland's wealthiest citizens, and owner of the Lawrence Publishing Company, which published Ohio Farmer, Michigan Farmer, Pennsylvania Farmer, and other agricultural periodicals
The link is about M.J. Lawrence's son.

The photos in this ebay listing show more about the company.

This page says:
In 1873 the weekly newspaper was bought by M.J. Lawrence. A year later he hired M.E. Williams as editor. The twosome made up one of the best business and editorial teams in the country. For the first time the publication was a moneymaking enterprise. One of many economical decisions made by Lawrence was purchasing printing equipment. Meanwhile Williams drew from contributors around the Midwest and spoke with an editorial opinion that helped to shape farm policy of the day.

Here is the find a grave page for Mortimer James Lawrence.

That is some history right there. $.75 for a year subscription! Thanks for the info. In any case, I guess I got a pretty old razor in really good condition. Cant wait to try it out!

Top Bottom