What's new

Ohh the Humanity!

On a side note, however do the Mason jars go bad? Also, how do you check them? The vacuum top being depressed?

They can, yeah. You should watch the rings/lids for signs of rusting. Overall though, they are much easier to catch and with less bad things to occur. The glass is clear and you can basically see if there are any issues.

I put a few tins I purchased on sale that were un-vacuumed into mason jars. The jars appear to have self-sealed after a month or two (the top depressed and stayed sucked down.) I imagine if the seal broke, they would pop back up. Otherwise, watch for rust I guess.

*Disclaimer* My knowledge of mason jars is mostly food related and not tobacco related, so if anyone has any tobacco specific wisdom here, please impart it.

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.
They can, yeah. You should watch the rings/lids for signs of rusting. Overall though, they are much easier to catch and with less bad things to occur. The glass is clear and you can basically see if there are any issues.

I put a few tins I purchased on sale that were un-vacuumed into mason jars. The jars appear to have self-sealed after a month or two (the top depressed and stayed sucked down.) I imagine if the seal broke, they would pop back up. Otherwise, watch for rust I guess.

*Disclaimer* My knowledge of mason jars is mostly food related and not tobacco related, so if anyone has any tobacco specific wisdom here, please impart it.

I have read differing opinions about cellaring in mason jars. My question is, when aging tobacco in mason jars does one have to let air in them every now and then or keep them sealed tight? I have read differing advice on this?

I have read differing opinions about cellaring in mason jars. My question is, when aging tobacco in mason jars does one have to let air in them every now and then or keep them sealed tight? I have read differing advice on this?

Sealed tight. By periodically letting air in will start the aging process all over again. You should really read this!

I use a product called Parafilm. It is used in labs to keep a seal on samples and keep contaminents out. Whether I am aging in a mason jar or keeping it in a tin, I use Parafilm cut into one inch wide strips and wrap it around the seal after the jar is closed and around the seal of vacuum sealed tins. The pull-ring tins like the GL Pease, C&D, and McClelland tins don't need Parafilm.

If you do decide to use Parafilm, which I recommend, once the strip is cut you stretch it around the seal and it will stick to the container and to itself. Don't over stretch it or it will tear.

HTH!

Andrew, that really sucks. I am sorry for your loss. And you were really looking forward to smoking that too. Sorry, brother!

Absolutely, positively, keep them sealed. Riff nailed it. Whoever told you to periodically open them is woefully misinformed. Don't do it.
I use a product called Parafilm. It is used in labs to keep a seal on samples and keep contaminents out. Whether I am aging in a mason jar or keeping it in a tin, I use Parafilm cut into one inch wide strips and wrap it around the seal after the jar is closed and around the seal of vacuum sealed tins. The pull-ring tins like the GL Pease, C&D, and McClelland tins don't need Parafilm.

If you do decide to use Parafilm, which I recommend, once the strip is cut you stretch it around the seal and it will stick to the container and to itself. Don't over stretch it or it will tear.
This is an interesting idea. I really am only concerned with the rectangular tins like Gawith. I think I'm going to invest in some Parafilm for my peace of mind.

Thanks, Bill!

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
I was gifted a tin of 04 FVF that arrived with the seal popped, it's been re hydrating in a jar for over a year now. The pliability has come back, but the color is more like Orlick Golden sliced than FVF. Knowing the gent who sent it, it's possible it was a mean trick. However, when he sent me some sealed 04 BBF later on, I shirked those suspicions... Now I'm certain it was a mean trick.:001_smile

What? The BBF sucked, too?

Certain things I would never screw around with, even for a laugh. Like an old bottle of wine, an old tin can be a crapshoot. I believe rectangular tins are the most prone to long term failure, followed by round Dunhill style tins, with true soda can style pop tops being the best.

All out of FVF, but I have a very underrated Dunhill Light Virginia Flake of the same era to make it up to you.

ouch

There once was a man who tried Haddo
Thinking could this be just a fad, oh?
He succumbed to the hype
And loaded his pipe
And.......................

Hirsute

Used to have fun with Commander Yellow Pantyhose
I think I'm going to invest in some Parafilm for my peace of mind.

Thanks, Bill!

Not sure about the Parafilm, but I have seen estate tins where the lid was dipped in parafin to create a similar seal. And I can report that those wax seals, after 20 years in someones tobacco cellar, were pretty grungy and nasty. So, if you're cellaring only for your own use, Parafilm probably wouldn't hurt. If you're cellaring for resale, it might affect the value.

Not sure about the Parafilm, but I have seen estate tins where the lid was dipped in parafin to create a similar seal. And I can report that those wax seals, after 20 years in someones tobacco cellar, were pretty grungy and nasty. So, if you're cellaring only for your own use, Parafilm probably wouldn't hurt. If you're cellaring for resale, it might affect the value.
I can see that. Dipping in paraffin would leave a glob of wax exposed - I can imagine how nasty that would get over the years. Parafilm appears to be a plastic film lined on one side with an extremely thin layer of paraffin, which would seem to be less susceptible to accumulating dust and grit.

Regardless, I'm not investing in tobacco for resale.

Hirsute

Used to have fun with Commander Yellow Pantyhose
I can see that. Dipping in paraffin would leave a glob of wax exposed - I can imagine how nasty that would get over the years. Parafilm appears to be a plastic film lined on one side with an extremely thin layer of paraffin, which would seem to be less susceptible to accumulating dust and grit.

Regardless, I'm not investing in tobacco for resale.

Yeah, that sounds like it would work much better. And I'm just thinking of you, really, so that when you call me 40 years from now and I have the last tins of Escudo on the planet, that they'll be nice and pristine for you. :thumbup1:

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
On a side note, however do the Mason jars go bad? Also, how do you check them? The vacuum top being depressed?
The weak point are the lids. If you are opening and closing them all the time, the thin wax ring will deteriorate. If you are sealing up and hiding away, it isn't a problem. I do have jars that are for current use tobacco. I just replace the lids on those every once and a while. They go for about a buck for 12 (note- the lid is a separate piece from the locking ring).

The weak point are the lids. If you are opening and closing them all the time, the thin wax ring will deteriorate. If you are sealing up and hiding away, it isn't a problem. I do have jars that are for current use tobacco. I just replace the lids on those every once and a while. They go for about a buck for 12 (note- the lid is a separate piece from the locking ring).

Yeah, if I've got something jarred up, I'll use that lid when I open it, then put a fresh lid on when I reuse the jar. Like owen said, lids are cheap. I wouldn't want to risk popping open a jar of Stonehaven dust ten years from now just to save a few cents now.

What? The BBF sucked, too?

Certain things I would never screw around with, even for a laugh. Like an old bottle of wine, an old tin can be a crapshoot. I believe rectangular tins are the most prone to long term failure, followed by round Dunhill style tins, with true soda can style pop tops being the best.

All out of FVF, but I have a very underrated Dunhill Light Virginia Flake of the same era to make it up to you.
LOL, no the BBF is one of my most cherished tins, still sealed tight and waiting for the right occasion to pop open, preferably with someone who would appreciate it with me. I was just needling you about the FVF, I had one from 2010 that lost it's seal. I still haven't fully gotten over the Rutts thing.:laugh:

There once was a man who tried Haddo
Thinking could this be just a fad, oh?
He succumbed to the hype
And loaded his pipe
And.......................
The premier reading requirement for TobaccoReviews.com
Some guy named LoisKelley wrote it.

ouch

The premier reading requirement for TobaccoReviews.com
Some guy named LoisKelley wrote it.

I was so impressed by that guy, I named my kid after him. :tongue_sm

LOL, no the BBF is one of my most cherished tins, still sealed tight and waiting for the right occasion to pop open, preferably with someone who would appreciate it with me. I was just needling you about the FVF, I had one from 2010 that lost it's seal. I still haven't fully gotten over the Rutts thing.:laugh:

You know, I was pretty broken up about that Rutts thing too. Would a tin of 13 year old tin of Hal O' the Wynd ease the pain?

Top Bottom