What's new

Ohh the Humanity!

Lately I've buckled down and started adding all my tins and jars to tobaccocellar.com. It was a long time coming and I figured it would be worth it to just do it and get it over with. I'll admit it's kind of fun seeing how many pounds and how old your tins are in a spread sheet. I recommend it for anyone who hasn't started.

I have a tin of Hermit's 1997 Holiday blend by hibernating in my cellar. I was going to wait for next year and pop it after 20 years.

proxy.php

But upon checking the tin, I noticed something. Something that would change my view of this tin...forever.

proxy.php

The top seemed to have had the seal broken. "Done worry Andrew, you can just try to rehydrate it. " I consoled myself.

I popped open the tin and saw that the tobacco was bone dry.

proxy.php

The more I dug I noticed the whole side where the tin was welded shut had rusted. Spreading up and down the tin.

proxy.php

proxy.php

You can see that big rust coin that came out with the second half of the tobacco.

I was going to try and rehydrate the first half but after seeing all this rust, I think it's safe to say I'm just gonna toss it.

I guess the moral of the story is to periodically check your tins. Especially the older ones.

Noooooooo, say it ain't so!

If you're really gonna toss it, toss it over my way...a little rusty smoke never hurt anybody...right? I actually don't know...but I just don't want to believe it can be this bad.

Edit: Oh yeah, I'm gonna see about starting a tobacco cellar sheet...

Noooooooo, say it ain't so!

If you're really gonna toss it, toss it over my way...a little rusty smoke never hurt anybody...right? I actually don't know...but I just don't want to believe it can be this bad.

Edit: Oh yeah, I'm gonna see about starting a tobacco cellar sheet...

I see a lot of guys on instagram cringing over what they think is mold (when it's usually plume) and I think they're bunch of wussies. But with the rust spreading up and down I honestly can't tell myself it's safe to smoke.

Also when I was pulling out the first half I held it upside down and can't help but think that rust dust fell down and mixed with it.

I have some other old tins that I'm going to pop soon. I'll shoot you a sample. I know you're dying to try some aged tobacco.

The part that kills me the most is that I don't know when this happened. I might have been able to salvage it before this rust spread. But I'll never know now.

I started inventory with TobaccoCellar about two years ago, then gave up. Way too many tins, and not enough time to enter them all. Not to mention the total cost section was starting to get scary!

I started inventory with TobaccoCellar about two years ago, then gave up. Way too many tins, and not enough time to enter them all. Not to mention the total cost section was starting to get scary!

I don't fill out any of the price/cost info, I just use it to track the really important stuff.. how much I have of any given blend, so I know what ones I still need to stock up more on. lol

I need to go through and check my tins as well I guess, just to be sure.

I stopped filling in the $ section (I use ThePipeTool instead of TobaccoCellar), for precisely that reason.

Commander Quan

Commander Yellow Pantyhose
I had some H&H tins that rusted when they changed suppliers a few years ago. P&C sent out new ones, but I jarred the affected blends and smoke them. I'm still ok. :turned:

The part that kills me the most is that I don't know when this happened. I might have been able to salvage it before this rust spread. But I'll never know now.

How often do you check your tins, if ever? I'm thinking I will try to check my tins every 4-6 months or so. I know mason jars can go bad too, but they won't rust...so maybe once a year on them?

Also, check it out! http://tobaccocellar.com/Garlisk

Pretty exciting to see that stuff in there all tallied up. I'm not going to enter all my open tins, jars, and samples...that's too much work. I'll be smoking through all that stuff for the next year, and then its tin-cracking time!

I had some H&H tins that rusted when they changed suppliers a few years ago. P&C sent out new ones, but I jarred the affected blends and smoke them. I'm still ok. :turned:

I had that too with the old Dark fired. The tobacco was not in contact with it cause of the golden foil and it was minimal.

This tin got so bad it started to flake off and mix with the leaf. I'm just gonna ditch this effort.

Ive brought dry tobacco back to life and it always tasted like it could be better. With this it would be a hassle and I don't feel like running a magnet over it to catch all the specks of rust.

How often do you check your tins, if ever? I'm thinking I will try to check my tins every 4-6 months or so. I know mason jars can go bad too, but they won't rust...so maybe once a year on them?

Also, check it out! http://tobaccocellar.com/Garlisk

Pretty exciting to see that stuff in there all tallied up. I'm not going to enter all my open tins, jars, and samples...that's too much work. I'll be smoking through all that stuff for the next year, and then its tin-cracking time!

Only times I keep my eyes on tins are the square ones cause I believe they're more prone to losing their seal, extremely bulging tins, and especially old ones like this.

Oh I would never put the price in haha. I hate seeing my order history at SP and just looking at all those dollars.

I hate stories like that! I too are storing a good amount of baccy in the original containers. I make the move to Mason jars once I've popped the tin/bag.
The feeling of popping a well aged tin is what holds me back from the initial transfer.

I was gifted a tin of 04 FVF that arrived with the seal popped, it's been re hydrating in a jar for over a year now. The pliability has come back, but the color is more like Orlick Golden sliced than FVF. Knowing the gent who sent it, it's possible it was a mean trick. However, when he sent me some sealed 04 BBF later on, I shirked those suspicions... Now I'm certain it was a mean trick.:001_smile

Top Bottom