What's new

Oh! You Tart!

We had several friends visit over the long weekend. My friend Henry brought a cook book as a gift, he received it as a gift and it has become his favorite cook book.

Dolce Italiano, Desserts From The Babbo Kitchen by Gina DePalma.

proxy.php

We had a get together to go to on Sunday and we needed to bring some dessert. I was intrigued by a couple of the tarts namely a Cranberry tart with a polenta crust and a Cherry custard tart, so naturally we broke in the new cook book.

The Cranberry tart with the polenta crust was great. The crust was amazing. It was a mix of polenta and flour and it called for instant polenta. The texture was really nice. The polenta dough was difficult to work with (for me), next time I make it I think that I will roll it out on plastic wrap and I might even roll it out on an upside down sheet pan so that I can put it back in the freezer if it starts to get too warm.

Here is a picture of the tart before baking. I cooked the extra dough on the sheet pan along with the tart so that we could have some snacks!

full

full

The Cherry custard tart was really good. Imagine fresh cherries in a creme brulee. Next time I make this I may try doubling the recipe and baking it as a pie instead of a tart.

You pour the custard over the cherries.

full

full

I don't have any pictures of the tarts after they were baked. Trust me they looked good and they tasted better then they looked. Both recipes were very easy to make.

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow! I think I'm going to buy that book. I read the recipe from Julia Child's cookbook, but it seemed a little difficult. Especially since her wording/description is a little aged.

Tarts are a WEAKNESS at our home and custard is like hanging red meat in front of Old Yeller. Combining the two is bliss. We grabbed a cookbook full of tart recipes at Half Price Books a couple of years ago. One of the very best so far is a pear and custard tart recipe. You poach pear slices in a spiced sugar syrup and then cover with a custard and bake. It is quite simple but almost decadent. We served it at our annual ladies' tea last fall and it disappeared in one pass around the table. Thanks for posting the great photos. I love cranberries and cherries.

Regards, Todd

Wow! I think I'm going to buy that book. I read the recipe from Julia Child's cookbook, but it seemed a little difficult. Especially since her wording/description is a little aged.

I must admit that this isn't a book I probably would have ever purchased on my own. I'm really glad my friend gave it to me though. If you can find it in a book store, read some of the recipes and see if you looks like something you would like.

Tarts are a WEAKNESS at our home and custard is like hanging red meat in front of Old Yeller. Combining the two is bliss. We grabbed a cookbook full of tart recipes at Half Price Books a couple of years ago. One of the very best so far is a pear and custard tart recipe. You poach pear slices in a spiced sugar syrup and then cover with a custard and bake. It is quite simple but almost decadent. We served it at our annual ladies' tea last fall and it disappeared in one pass around the table. Thanks for posting the great photos. I love cranberries and cherries.

Regards, Todd

Pears and custard sound divine! I remember your thread about the ladies tea. Everything looked wonderful.

Unfortunately I didn't take that photo's, one of my guest took them. I borrowed them from her.

I keep thinking that I need to make another tart, soon:001_smile.

Regards, Todd

RECIPE PLEASE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Am I allowed to ask?

No problem. I cannot take any credit for the recipe as I got it from the book. I think. I will have to check it out again and list the ingredients for you. I may have gotten it elsewhere. I will post it up tomorrow.

Regards, Todd

Top Bottom