What's new

Oh you Chubby 2

Owen Bawn

Garden party cupcake scented
The Chubby 2 Super made its first appearance since December just now, and everything I've written about it above is true. What insane luxury. Even if I only use it 6 or 8 times a year, I want this brush on my shelf. Warm, soft, and dense. A great shave on a cold afternoon.

linty1

My wallet cries.
Wow, envious! I'm currently deciding between a Chubby 2 or 3 in best (lol I know, get both, unfort its not in the budget atm) and was looking at youtube videos/knot sizes trying to get a gauge on size.. it seems? like the c2 is plenty large? but def heeming and hawing over it...

Owen Bawn

Wow, envious! I'm currently deciding between a Chubby 2 or 3 in best (lol I know, get both, unfort its not in the budget atm) and was looking at youtube videos/knot sizes trying to get a gauge on size.. it seems? like the c2 is plenty large? but def heeming and hawing over it...
The Chubby 2 is big; so big it's a stretch for me- I love owning them and absolutely enjoy using them when the humour is on me but the truth is that I'm not in the mood for them all that often. Still, when I'm in the mood they're the best. The Chubby 3 would be way too big for me, but many men swear by that brush- all a matter of personal taste. Do you like really big brushes? Check out Amazon, btw. The CH 3 in Best is on sale for less than a CH 1's usual price.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Those chubby knots are packed with lots of hair and will probably lose some for the first few shaves (at least mine did, but nothing excessive).

I am still after my ultimate brush (chubby 2 in 2 band silvertip). I have tried most simpson's hair offerings and 2 band silvertip is my favorite. In order of least to most favorite...

- Synthetic - My chubby 2 in synthetic is the softest thing I have ever felt when dry. However, I am not as much of a fan when using it. It seems like the bristles stay together more than I like and I have to press harder than desired to get it to splay out.
- Best - Seems like the most variance and could end up with a super-ish knot. Good scrub and mostly soft but every knot I have tried had a few hairs that just poked my skin more than I like (I like zero pokes)
- Manchurian - More consistent than Best. Much more backbone than any other knot types. A good scrub / scritch without the prickliness I get from Best. Not my favorite but definitely has a use when looking to scrub off a few layers of skin.
- Super - So soft!! Very uniform hair with zero pricks. Hair doesn't have much backbone. Like lathering with a cloud.
- 2 band silvertip - My perfect balance of softness (zero scritch whatsoever!!) and more backbone than super (but less than manchurian).

Obviously it's a subjective list, but one which explains the choices and ranking.

I have only two CH2 brushes
  • Best
  • Silvertip Badger (two band silvertip)
My only CH3 is new, unused, and in Best.

Perhaps someday I'll acquire a Simpson Manchurian. It's the only one of their knots I've not tried that I'm interested in, but I'm interested only in the larger knots. Your comments describe the knots I've used plenty well enough for someone who knows what they like and don't like to determine which of the Simpson knots to try (or try next).

Thanks and happy shaves,

Jim

Ad Astra

The Instigator
I've got one in weekly rotation now... Chubby 2 Super.

full

Bring plenty of soap. And water. Go big or go home!

It's only issue, perhaps, is a longer drying time. I do leave on the windowsill on sunny days.

AA

Owen Bawn

I've got one in weekly rotation now... Chubby 2 Super.

full

Bring plenty of soap. And water. Go big or go home!

It's only issue, perhaps, is a longer drying time. I do leave on the windowsill on sunny days.

AA
That is a perfect bulb. What a knot! I can even feel the softness through my laptop.

But why do you have your bedside pee jug next to it?

Last edited:

Ad Astra

The Instigator
That is a perfect bulb. What a knot! I can even feel the softness through my laptop.

But why do you have your bedside pee jug next to it?

🧐Good heavens, man. If you don't decant your aftershaves into glass, you're just not taking this thing seriously.

🤔 But yes. The Chubby series takes it to another level completely. Protip for the non-Chubby chasers: don't use it to lather a soap sample - it vanishes as if into the Bermuda Triangle.

AA

Owen Bawn

There's a lot to unpack there on both sides of that question 🤔 .
In my father's day the youngest child had to empty the slops each morning- he'd go from room to room collecting all of the jugs from overnight, empty them, and wash them for tonight's service. The one in my father and his brothers' room apparently made quite a noise when the urine hit the sides- they called it the 'thunder jug.' Even when he was in his 80s my father and his brothers would still call their youngest brother 'Slops' once in a while.

Ad Astra

The Instigator
There's a lot to unpack there on both sides of that question 🤔 .

(raises hand)

What appears to be a bottle of pee is nothing less than vintage Avon Wild Country, circa 1975.

The hinky glass car bottle it passed a few decades in was tossed, so that the venerable and widely-acknowledged aftershave can be celebrated in a vessel which showcases its golden tones - this junkyard pee bottle I found.

Now. If you want to park a red glass Buick on your shave station, next to a Timeless titanium razor and a top-of-the-line Simpson brush, well. You can.

AA

Ad Astra

The Instigator
In my father's day the youngest child had to empty the slops each morning- he'd go from room to room collecting all of the jugs from overnight, empty them, and wash them for tonight's service. The one in my father and his brothers' room apparently made quite a noise when the urine hit the sides- they called it the 'thunder jug.' Even when he was in his 80s my father and his brothers would still call their youngest brother 'Slops' once in a while.

Aye. Me Ma called it a "thunder mug," so. Same thing.

For the record, our generation had flush toilets, electricity, moon rockets, Gillette razors, etc.

AA

linty1

My wallet cries.
I ended up getting a Chubby 2 in best (ebay auction), it seems? to have been sold from/by Fendrihan (the paypal receipt said it), the Canadian vendor, but I suppose maybe anyone can just put their name as such. Waiting for packages is excrutiating.

I ended up getting a Chubby 2 in best (ebay auction), it seems? to have been sold from/by Fendrihan (the paypal receipt said it), the Canadian vendor, but I suppose maybe anyone can just put their name as such. Waiting for packages is excrutiating.
You'll be well-satisfied with your brush, I reckon. Love mine.

I was not immune to this thread - thank you very much @Owen Bawn.

I used my Chubby 1 super for the first time today. While it still has some breaking in to do, I can see why it is a legendary brush. I loaded it the "Simpson" way and had enough for four easy passes.

I had a Chubby 2 Best on order, but the vendor had to cancel it. So of course I have a Chubby 2 super on the way instead.

I had a Chubby 2 Best on order, but the vendor had to cancel it. So of course I have a Chubby 2 super on the way instead.
I’ve had a Chubby 2 in best for years and I’ve used it maybe 5 times. Never could get into it. Kept telling myself that it was the handle. But then recently I thought, maybe it’s the hair. So I ordered a Chubby 2 in Synthetic and a Chubby 3 in Super. So far have been enjoying the synthetic Chubby. The 3 in Super has yet to arrive.
62B12824-13CB-4DFB-9BCF-954E6CBB9C0F.jpeg

EA10D9CC-1FF8-4685-A5F2-B31396596E4C.jpeg

I’ve had a Chubby 2 in best for years and I’ve used it maybe 5 times. Never could get into it. Kept telling myself that it was the handle. But then recently I thought, maybe it’s the hair. So I ordered a Chubby 2 in Synthetic and a Chubby 3 in Super. So far have been enjoying the synthetic Chubby. The 3 in Super has yet to arrive.

The vendor kindly offered to upgrade me to a Chubby 3 Best, but I thought would go up to the Chubby 2 first. How does the CH 2 synthetic compare to other synthetics you have tried?

The vendor kindly offered to upgrade me to a Chubby 3 Best, but I thought would go up to the Chubby 2 first. How does the CH 2 synthetic compare to other synthetics you have tried?
It’s a funny little brush. Dry it’s soft enough without much splay at all. Same when just wet. Once it whips up a soap and is holding a lot of lather however it splays very easily and feels great. Don’t think I’ve mastered it yet, but certainly unique compared to the other synthetics that I’ve tried because of this “dual nature”. My comparison is to a PAA Starcraft which is just floppier at all times, and a Rudy Vey Keyhole with Mühle STF which has more consistent backbone. looking forward to getting the Chubby 3 Super. I generally prefer Badger hair brushes over synthetic. If it’s as luxurious as I anticipate I imagine my Chubby 2 in best will find it’s way to the BST listings.

linty1

My wallet cries.
My Chubby 2 in best arrived today, I soaked it in some hydrogen peroxide and hand lathered it with some Dawn, and is waiting/drying till my next shave. I posting some unboxing pics in the unboxing thread.

linty1

My wallet cries.
Just finished my first shave with it.. it is -dense- ! It felts like... shaving with a tennis ball... also although the hair is the same (best) this one is definately skritchier than the duke 3. It's also larger than the duke 3, but not unwieldy. It holds a lot of lather, this is it after a full 4 passes:

034E9F0E-B0E1-43F5-A8CD-591D71DBDB63.jpeg

It took a lot of water, I kept adding and adding.

Does the skritchiness go down with use? The backbone isn't as backbony as I thought it would be, I think its to do with the bulb shape of the knot more than anything, its really nice. I think this will be my new everyday brush.

Top Bottom