What's new

Oh you Chubby 2

Owen Bawn

Garden party cupcake scented
I usually like badgers in the 22-24mm range, so I have all sorts of Simpson Eagles, Dukes, a Chubby 1, and several M7s in different grades of hair. Then I have Chubby 2's in Best and in Super. They sit on the shelf unused for weeks at a time. I look at them and think about how I could sell both of them and be well on my way to getting a Duke 3 or an Eagle 3 in SiLVERTiP. But I don't. They sit there, almost mocking me.

Finally a day comes when either I haven't shaved in a few days or I want to eat up some soap quickly, and I reach for one of them. Like today. I have a tub of Cella that is...ahem...aging. It still works well but it has turned a parchment colour, so I've been trying to use it up before it turns slurry pit on me. So I took the first Chubby 2 I saw down. It just happened to be the Best version. I loaded it forever. I was joking elsewhere that I loaded it for 88 seconds, but in fact I did really load it heavily. I took it to my face and if you have a Chubby you know what happened... my face was caressed by that soft wall of badger. My knees started to buckle. How and why do I forget this feeling? Just a sublime and delightful shave. There is nothing like using a big Chubby. Nothing.

So tomorrow I'll use an M7 or Emperor, and then the next day a Duke, and then an Eagle in Pure, and a month will pass and I'll again start to wonder if I should sell the Chubbys. Or maybe I'll just use the Chubby 2 in Super tomorrow...

The Chubby 2 is an indulgence, a total lather hog, a merciless soap killer and absolutely brilliant at the same time. It’s the biggest brush in my den and I couldn’t imagine going much bigger. I’m lucky enough to have both the Super and Manchurian versions to call on. While these are unlikely to ever become my daily driver, I always enjoy letting the big dogs out to play. They are certainly more capable bowl latherers than their little brothers were.

Sometimes the day calls for a little excess and the Chubby 2 delivers it IN SPADES.

Last edited:
I've had bad luck with Chubby 2s. All three I've had shed. of the two I still have; a best and a super. My other Simpsons do not shed at all, except a classic 2 that usually loses at least one hair per shave. I just don't know why my luck has been bad with them, except that they are loaded with many thousands of hairs.

Owen Bawn

I've owned 15 or more Simpsons over the years and I've never had a shedder. My only big badgers are my two Chubby 2s and my Paladins, all of which are 26mm. I decided that I'm going big until this aging Cella I referenced in the OP is finished. I've never had a soap go rancid and I don't want this soap to be my first. So it's 3017 time with the biggest brushes I own. Who knows- maybe I'll be converted to big brushes? I doubt it, but you never know.

Who knows- maybe I'll be converted to big brushes? I doubt it, but you never know.

Really, it’s just a matter of learning how to use larger brushes I think. Admittedly some can require a little more soap.........but is anyone here really running out of soap?? :-O

A lot of brushes perform great once you learn how to use them well. But there are a lot of different ones out there.

I've a chubby 3 best badger. It's certainly not too big, and am always puzzled why people find this range too big. Load it well and it produces superb lather and a face lather beyond superb.!

Owen Bawn

Another big brush today. I loaded a 26mm Paladin Mandarin till it was stuck to the soap. A big, delightful, luxurious brush. It is perfect for what it is...But it isn't a Chubby.

Owen Bawn

This morning the Chubby 2 in Super made an appearance. It's everything the Chubby 2 in best is except it has a silken finish. So thick, so dense, so warm, and so soft. After 3 days of hitting the Cella hard with big brushes I've made a serious dent in the soap. These brushes will eat as much soap as you want to feed them. At this rate the tub of Cella won't last another month.

It's gonna be Chubby 2's and 26mm Paladins from now until this Cella is finished. Sometime this week I'll work the Chubby 2 synthetic in and we'll see how much soap she can swallow, too.

I usually like badgers in the 22-24mm range, so I have all sorts of Simpson Eagles, Dukes, a Chubby 1, and several M7s in different grades of hair. Then I have Chubby 2's in Best and in Super. They sit on the shelf unused for weeks at a time. I look at them and think about how I could sell both of them and be well on my way to getting a Duke 3 or an Eagle 3 in SiLVERTiP. But I don't. They sit there, almost mocking me.

Finally a day comes when either I haven't shaved in a few days or I want to eat up some soap quickly, and I reach for one of them. Like today. I have a tub of Cella that is...ahem...aging. It still works well but it has turned a parchment colour, so I've been trying to use it up before it turns slurry pit on me. So I took the first Chubby 2 I saw down. It just happened to be the Best version. I loaded it forever. I was joking elsewhere that I loaded it for 88 seconds, but in fact I did really load it heavily. I took it to my face and if you have a Chubby you know what happened... my face was caressed by that soft wall of badger. My knees started to buckle. How and why do I forget this feeling? Just a sublime and delightful shave. There is nothing like using a big Chubby. Nothing.

So tomorrow I'll use an M7 or Emperor, and then the next day a Duke, and then an Eagle in Pure, and a month will pass and I'll again start to wonder if I should sell the Chubbys. Or maybe I'll just use the Chubby 2 in Super tomorrow...

Get a room, you two!!!

Owen Bawn

Back to the Chubby 2 in Best today. I think @BigJ is correct when he compares the big Chubbies to huge American luxury cars. No one needs them, but if you're on a long road trip... when I was kid I owned an old VW Karmann Ghia. It looked like a Porsche but ran like a Beetle, with which it shared the same engine. It looked cool but was uncomfortable to sit in. One day it broke down and my uncle came to pick me up in his Cadillac- one of those 70s Cadillacs as long as an aircraft carrier. I remember getting in the car that day and feeling the big soft seat wrap itself around me, the cool air conditioning making the humid air sweet. That's what a Chubby 2 feels like, only it isn't a car, you don't sit on it, and it's covered in soap.

The Cella doesn't stand a chance against these brushes. The way I'm loading them it'll be gone by Halloween.

Back to the Chubby 2 in Best today. I think @BigJ is correct when he compares the big Chubbies to huge American luxury cars. No one needs them, but if you're on a long road trip... when I was kid I owned an old VW Karmann Ghia. It looked like a Porsche but ran like a Beetle, with which it shared the same engine. It looked cool but was uncomfortable to sit in. One day it broke down and my uncle came to pick me up in his Cadillac- one of those 70s Cadillacs as long as an aircraft carrier. I remember getting in the car that day and feeling the big soft seat wrap itself around me, the cool air conditioning making the humid air sweet. That's what a Chubby 2 feels like, only it isn't a car, you don't sit on it, and it's covered in soap.

The Cella doesn't stand a chance against these brushes. The way I'm loading them it'll be gone by Halloween.

You could probably fit the Ghia in the engine bay of that Caddy....

Yes indeed!! Sit back and enjoy the luxury!! :a29:

I used my SV brush today which is similar to chubby and loaded it like I wanted to make the soap vanish! I thought that until you use these brushes, well loaded, you'll never experience what face lathering and shaving is REALLY like!!

Top Bottom