What's new

Oh so green…..

I was never really one for smoking. I hate the smell of most cigarettes and try as I might….cigars just smell like lawn clippings to me.

However, the pipe has always had a mysterious alure to me. That vanilla-y smell, the look, memories of friends dad smoking in his den, lighting fireworks with the coal, etc.

I picked up an estate pipe a few years ago at an antique shop. No name Algerian briar made in France. I loaded it up a few times with something I bought from a jar at a tobacco shop. But, never really dug into the whole thing.

I moved to a Japan a few years ago and I find myself drawn back to it and recently bought some new pouches. Some Bok Riff and Tobacco Galleria. Pickings are pretty slim here…seems like they all buy the same “lot” from the same supplier.

However, I think I had the best session I’ve had today. I was out touring the countryside on my motorcycle and was cruising round a lake when the perfect spot with the perfect rock showed up. It screamed, stop here and take it in. Earlier I had read a few things, like “you don’t always have to pack it full or tight…just a quickie is fine too” and “try smoking slowly”. Well shiyoot…that works! Pulling lightly a “longly”, I actually had flavors that were enjoyable and less like a rubber band on the stove.

Like I said, never smoked, people around me died of lung cancer (cept grandma…she smoked cigs a looooong time, quit, very over weight, lived to 85 or so). However, I came to realize, I’m 41 this year….I don’t think a bowl once in a while is going to really negatively affect my life. In fact, perhaps the opposite.

And…my daughter just turned one yesterday. I want her to have smells and things that bring back memories. Unfortunately, my shave and hair care products are all homemade…so it’s not like a whiff of Aqua Velva will take her back.

Now the big trick…convincing the wife…who’s a nurse….who says she’s allergic to cigarette smoke.

I think I’ll be in the closet on this one a while.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kentos

B&B's Dr. Doolittle.
Staff member
Welcome! Burning tobacco is burning tobacco, so there always health risks. It’s up to the individual to weight the risks.

Glad you got a good smoke. For myself it’s a nice relaxing pastime that the wife tolerates.

Welcome! Burning tobacco is burning tobacco, so there always health risks. It’s up to the individual to weight the risks.

Glad you got a good smoke. For myself it’s a nice relaxing pastime that the wife tolerates.

Same as riding a motorcycle…risk reward scenario. Although, here in JP the risk is pretty low. Cept when you come around a mountain bend and there’s some old geezer in his mini truck in the literal middle of the road. They think since there’s no line they came just drive anywhere….

Anyway, thanks for the welcome.

Kentos

B&B's Dr. Doolittle.
Staff member
I grew up in Japan and had a gentsuki. Rode to high school and back and never had any close calls except the ones I brought upon myself lol. Got busted by the shirobike going 65. I never knew I was limited to 30 all the time.

I grew up in Japan and had a gentsuki. Rode to high school and back and never had any close calls except the ones I brought upon myself lol. Got busted by the shirobike going 65. I never knew I was limited to 30 all the time.

Yeah. That rule is lame and dangerous. You’re using the same road as vehicles restricted to 50 or higher…why create a rolling hazard? Mini cars (kei) have tiny engines, 660cc, but they’re no required to go slower. Just causes people to resent scooters and act dangerously around them.

Bah! Just one of the many things that don’t make sense here…(don’t get me wrong. I love it here….but still….)

Edit: The jijis and babas of late are very entitled. Crossing the street anywhere any time, driving however they want, cutting in lines, flaunting social distancing, etc.

Kentos

B&B's Dr. Doolittle.
Staff member
They were all middle aged during the Showa era bubble. That doesn’t surprise me lol. The Japan of the 80’s was pretty crazy man. During o-gomi days you would see tons of stuff of nice stuff that still worked. The foreigners would decend on them looking for TV’s, microwaves, heaters, etc.

Whisky

ATF. I use all three.
Staff member
Like I said, never smoked, people around me died of lung cancer (cept grandma…she smoked cigs a looooong time, quit, very over weight, lived to 85 or so). However, I came to realize, I’m 41 this year….I don’t think a bowl once in a while is going to really negatively affect my life. In fact, perhaps the opposite.

And…my daughter just turned one yesterday. I want her to have smells and things that bring back memories. Unfortunately, my shave and hair care products are all homemade…so it’s not like a whiff of Aqua Velva will take her back.

Now the big trick…convincing the wife…who’s a nurse….who says she’s allergic to cigarette smoke.

I think I’ll be in the closet on this one a while.

Convincing the wife is the difficult part. I feel your pain, I'm married to a Vascular Surgeon who sees the effects of smoking ,inside and outside the body, on a daily basis. I only smoke 1-3 bowls a week and so far she has been ok with that. I have 2 small kids and another on the way. I do not let them see me smoking. If they pick up a tobacco habit when they're older on their own so be it, but I don't want them to pick up the habit from watching me.

Yeah, convincing the Mrs will be the tricky part. It's not something you can hide, whatever closet you find will still let aromas out which you'll have to explain. There's something floating around called I think the '64 Report, or something like that. It says pipes and cigars, while carrying some risk, aren't in the same league as those filter tipped demons. Something about not inhaling and all the crap additives. It might help you?

Other than that, welcome from another 41 year old father and fellow motorcycle enthusiast.

Thanks for the welcomes.

Fortunately, her schedule and mine dont line up often so I have a lot of “me” time. I think I’ll be able to keep things under wraps for a while.

I’m not toooo worried about influence the rugrat. There’s so much exposure here already, plus girls don’t smoke pipes.

brandaves

With a great avatar comes great misidentification
Welcome my friend to the wonderful world of pipes. Loose and slow is the way to go. You'll find wonderful flavor and pleasure when following those rules generally.

My wife hates smoking but tolerates pipes because she knows lady nicotine calls to me and she'd prefer a pipe to cigs or dip...trade offs.

Ultimately you'll have to bring her into the fold of understanding. Hopefully she'll be open to you enjoying the occasional bowl. You won't stink as might with a cig or a cigar. Its all about the silver linings. Plus, you aren't inhaling I assume which does tend to limit the health risks somewhat.

Top Bottom