What's new

Oh no! McLellands is gone! Frog Morton replacement, please!

JCinPA

The Lather Maestro
So, about 5-6 years ago after a decades layoff smoking only cigars, I started back on the pipe a little bit--not much, just a little bit. Then, after acquiring a few tobaccos, I laid off again for another 4-5 years.

Now I grabbed a corn cob, filled it with McLelland's Frog Morton On The Town, one of my favorites, and thought to myself, "I have to order more of this!" Oh, no, it's no longer made!

I smoke plain old Captain Black for my wife's approval (well if not approval, not forbidden). But Frog Morton On The Town I smoke for ME! In the study with the door closed and the window open. I'm on my last jar.

So, while I'd love to know what YOU love, I really would--this is a specific request. I'm not looking for 5 pages of recommendations to try without reference to this blend. I can do that on my own. In fact, I'm going to request that if you have not smoked Frog Morton On the Town, that you do not reply to this.

While you have some truly wonderful recommendations, I'm sure, if you don't know Frog Morton, you don't know what I'm asking, so any reply would just waste my time. So the call is out.

IF YOU ARE A FROG MORTON ON THE TOWN FAN, and ONLY if you have smoked it and loved it, have you found any reasonably close facsimiles of it since it went out of production? I'm looking for a very narrow set of recommendations, thanks for understanding.

Seriously, if you have not smoked this blend, please do not reply here. I'll look at the other blend recommendation threads. Thanks for your understanding. I'm hoping I can get close with 2-3 recommendations from those familiar with it, not 25 recommendations from folks who don't know what it is. Thanks!

JCinPA

The Lather Maestro
OK, request rescinded.

From what I've been reading there is no close replacement for this. I'll just have to find another love, I guess. Sigh.

Claudel Xerxes

Staff member
That goes with pretty much any of the Frog blends. McClelland just had some special stuff that's hard to replicate. The only tin of FMOtT I've cracked was 19 years old and absolutely delicious.

I've smoked them too far apart to be able to compare nuances, but G.L. Pease Westminister was another Virginia, Latakia, Turkish/Oriental blend that I found to be quite nice.

JCinPA

The Lather Maestro
I will look that up, thank you. I learned now if I find something I like, stockpile it!

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur
So, about 5-6 years ago after a decades layoff smoking only cigars, I started back on the pipe a little bit--not much, just a little bit. Then, after acquiring a few tobaccos, I laid off again for another 4-5 years.

Now I grabbed a corn cob, filled it with McLelland's Frog Morton On The Town, one of my favorites, and thought to myself, "I have to order more of this!" Oh, no, it's no longer made!

I smoke plain old Captain Black for my wife's approval (well if not approval, not forbidden). But Frog Morton On The Town I smoke for ME! In the study with the door closed and the window open. I'm on my last jar.

So, while I'd love to know what YOU love, I really would--this is a specific request. I'm not looking for 5 pages of recommendations to try without reference to this blend. I can do that on my own. In fact, I'm going to request that if you have not smoked Frog Morton On the Town, that you do not reply to this.

While you have some truly wonderful recommendations, I'm sure, if you don't know Frog Morton, you don't know what I'm asking, so any reply would just waste my time. So the call is out.

IF YOU ARE A FROG MORTON ON THE TOWN FAN, and ONLY if you have smoked it and loved it, have you found any reasonably close facsimiles of it since it went out of production? I'm looking for a very narrow set of recommendations, thanks for understanding.

Seriously, if you have not smoked this blend, please do not reply here. I'll look at the other blend recommendation threads. Thanks for your understanding. I'm hoping I can get close with 2-3 recommendations from those familiar with it, not 25 recommendations from folks who don't know what it is. Thanks!

Top Bottom