What's new

oh no...... I think I've ruined my razor

help!

I was giving the trusty ol' HD a clean so I pulled it apart to clean inside the stem...... and now the end stub won't fit back inside the stem again. I think the washer that's at the base wasn't meant to come out......

proxy.php

does this look right??? it 100% won't go back in..... I've tried hammering the bloody thing and it simply won't go.

I love this razor..... :sad:

rockviper

I got moves like Jagger
It's not broken; it's a design feature :tongue_sm
Just slide that C-clamp up to the indent, and the handle pieces should slide back together. You might have to squeeze the C-clamp a little bit when initially sliding the pieces together.

Yep, as designed. It's funny, because when I got my 39C and unscrewed the handle the first time it came out like that. I didn't know any better, so I just assumed that was the way it was supposed to be. Then I saw other threads where folks were talking about how the handle retained the knob/inner stem and I realized I could stretch out that little collar and make it stay in place - much easier to use that way not having to fumble with three pieces!

Yep, that's supposed to be that way. It should just push right back in. Mine did when I took it apart. Try squeezing that little brass sleeve when you try to put the barrel back into the handle.

Looks a little odd taken apart like that, but it should all come together again with the advice above. I still feel that the "2-piece" construction of the Merkur HD represents the best DE design - easier to load a blade than with a 3-piece and without the bulky head design of a TTO.

It's not broken; it's a design feature :tongue_smJust slide that C-clamp up to the indent, and the handle pieces should slide back together. You might have to squeeze the C-clamp a little bit when initially sliding the pieces together.
no, it simply won't go back in. this is not the first time I've taken it out for a clean, I've done it many times before and it's always gone back in without any problems. something's not right....

rockviper

I got moves like Jagger
no, it simply won't go back in. this is not the first time I've taken it out for a clean, I've done it many times before and it's always gone back in without any problems. something's not right....
Hmmm. Can you take the C-ring right off of the bottom piece and then try fitting the two handle pieces together as a test to see if there's anything wrong with the handle itself?

Hmmm. Can you take the C-ring right off of the bottom piece and then try fitting the two handle pieces together as a test to see if there's anything wrong with the handle itself?

You can but putting the C-ring back in place can be troublesome and more importantly, annoying. It won't damage it though as long as you're careful.

Question--I just got my 34C and wasn't aware that it came apart. How often should it be taken apart and cleaned--I've just cleaned the 2 pieces? And how should it be taken apart--just pull the bottom double knob out?

rockviper

I got moves like Jagger
Question--I just got my 34C and wasn't aware that it came apart. How often should it be taken apart and cleaned--I've just cleaned the 2 pieces? And how should it be taken apart--just pull the bottom double knob out?
I would avoid intentionally pulling the bottom piece out on purpose, but wouldn't cry it it happened.

There are many vintage TTO razors that have never been taken apart to clean and are still in use today. I wouldn't worry about doing it. The design isn't such that gunk is bound to accumulate in the razor handle. I think a good rinse/soak once a year or so is probably better for the razor in the long run than taking it apart once a year to clean inside.

Yes, you guys are smarter than I am. I never thought to take 2 piece Merkurs apart, but never had to put it back together, either.

When I had a Mergress it came apart on me like that when I was cleaning. I emailed Mer thinking I'd broken it. He told me how to get it back together again.

Every time you take it apart, you increase the odds of breaking it. HD's really don't need to be disassembled to be cleaned, a soak in hot soapy water will more than take care of it.

Yep, as designed. It's funny, because when I got my 39C and unscrewed the handle the first time it came out like that. I didn't know any better, so I just assumed that was the way it was supposed to be. Then I saw other threads where folks were talking about how the handle retained the knob/inner stem and I realized I could stretch out that little collar and make it stay in place - much easier to use that way not having to fumble with three pieces!

I was just towel cleaning mine this morning after taking out the old blade (after 5 wonderful shaves with an Astra), and the bottom just came out in my hand. It went right back in after following the above directions of just squeezing the C-clamp. However, it seems to come out real easy now, which it didn't do before. So are you saying that if I stretch out that collar a little bit it would solve that problem? Clutz that I am, I hope I wouldn't break it.

Well, it worked in my case. I just opened it a little bit, and that was enough to make it retain the knob.

I was just towel cleaning mine this morning after taking out the old blade (after 5 wonderful shaves with an Astra), and the bottom just came out in my hand. It went right back in after following the above directions of just squeezing the C-clamp. However, it seems to come out real easy now, which it didn't do before. So are you saying that if I stretch out that collar a little bit it would solve that problem? Clutz that I am, I hope I wouldn't break it.

Top Bottom