What's new

Oh no, I think I'm turning into a collector.

I popped into an antique store today just to see if they had any safety razors hanging around. Sure enough I found this one.

I got it for $10. I felt guilty paying so little as the poor old gal was in her shop with no A/C and it was about 112 degrees outside.

I think it's a Gold Old Style Gillette from the 30s or so. It's pretty clean and I'm going to have to disinfect it so I can try it out. I'll wait a month or so because I'm still perfecting my technique with my Merkur Long Classic.

My list of amenities includes:

Merkur Long Classic
Gillette Gold Old Style
C&E Ivory Badger Travel Brush
C&E Sweet Almond Oil Shaving Cream
Proraso Shaving Cream
Baxter of California After Shave
Proraso After Shave

I think this is either the beginning of a serious relationship or a serious problem.

jduffy said:

...I think this is either the beginning of a serious relationship or a serious problem.

Nice find... well, it looks fairly nice but I readily admit that I know very little about old razors so I admit that it may or may not be "nice" in the opinion of a more educated razor enthusiast.

As for the hobby/illness-type question... well, I've decided that it is both... and it can become an expensive and all-consuming hobby/illness.

Good luck, and have fun as you whip your life savings into a beautiful lather.

After reading about all the great finds in antique stores, I went to a large antique mall in Pacific Grove yesterday. I was sort of hoping to hear, "Safety razors? Sure. Those 4 cabinets of racks over there, and we have a lot more in the back." But in fact: not one safety razor. And they call themselves an antique store!

jduffy said:
I popped into an antique store today just to see if they had any safety razors hanging around. Sure enough I found this one.

I got it for $10. I felt guilty paying so little as the poor old gal was in her shop with no A/C and it was about 112 degrees outside.

I think it's a Gold Old Style Gillette from the 30s or so. It's pretty clean and I'm going to have to disinfect it so I can try it out. I'll wait a month or so because I'm still perfecting my technique with my Merkur Long Classic.

My list of amenities includes:

Merkur Long Classic
Gillette Gold Old Style
C&E Ivory Badger Travel Brush
C&E Sweet Almond Oil Shaving Cream
Proraso Shaving Cream
Baxter of California After Shave
Proraso After Shave

I think this is either the beginning of a serious relationship or a serious problem.

JD
way to go on the razor- Its one of the many permutations of the Tech razors that Gillette made. It was a very long run also- mid 30's to 70's (please don't beat me up on the dates they are aprox) IMHO this is THE razor for newbies to wetshaving,don't try to polish it the "gold" will come away. 10.00 is a fair price for this razor.
Best of luck and post up your first shave.

Goosemeplease said:
JD
way to go on the razor- Its one of the many permutations of the Tech razors that Gillette made. It was a very long run also- mid 30's to 70's (please don't beat me up on the dates they are aprox) IMHO this is THE razor for newbies to wetshaving,don't try to polish it the "gold" will come away. 10.00 is a fair price for this razor.

Thanks for the great info Jim. BTW I think the gold is already coming off in spots. I'm wondering if I should leave it alone or help it come off?

I told the woman at the store to give me a shout whenever she gets more safety razors. And I'm not the beating up kind of guy. I'm a shaver, not a fighter!

- Jim

jduffy,
4 Things.........
1. You were in a antique shop.
2. You were looking for a razor.
3. You bought one not knowing exactly what it was.
4. You own more than 1 razor now.

Yep, no need to think any longer.....Your a collector:biggrin: With a full fledged case of RAD:lol:

Goosemeplease said:
IMHO this is THE razor for newbies to wetshaving,don't try to polish it the "gold" will come away.

You're right about this being a great razor for newbies.

I couldn't wait so I disinfected the razor and gave it a spin with a fresh Merkur blade. Wow! This razor is crazy tame compared to the Merkur Long Classic. It doesn't get as close as the Merkur and it made shaving around my chin a breeze. I think I'll make this Gillette my "I'm running late to work" or my touch up razor as it gets under the nose easier and it feels difficult to nick or cut myself with it.

The DE shaving world just opened up to a whole new level.

jduffy said:
You're right about this being a great razor for newbies.

I couldn't wait so I disinfected the razor and gave it a spin with a fresh Merkur blade. Wow! This razor is crazy tame compared to the Merkur Long Classic. It doesn't get as close as the Merkur and it made shaving around my chin a breeze. I think I'll make this Gillette my "I'm running late to work" or my touch up razor as it gets under the nose easier and it feels difficult to nick or cut myself with it.

The DE shaving world just opened up to a whole new level.

BINGO! less irritation = more passes =bbs give it a week and you will be very happy This is a case for less is more!

Good luck

Top Bottom