What's new

Oh man, the Coral Skin Food smells awful

Yeah, definitely should have gone for Lime. This smells sickeningly sweet, like some sort of candy. I also have this Old Spice bottle that smells great, but it's practically pure alcohol. Looks fancy, though -- it's nice on my shelf. What are some quality aftershaves that smell good? I'm appreciative of this product, by the way -- it feels good on my skin, and it's going to last a while. But with the huge variety of options available, I might as well spring for the entire package next time. Reccomendations welcome.

Bonjour Reidar , Ca va Bien ?

I can vouche for the following Aftershaves that do a good job and smell great

you already have Old Spice it is my favourite A/S for killing razor burn but not for its smell it smells kinda "Funky" if you get my point :cool:

- Ninna Ricci Memoire D'Homme
- Yves SaintLaurent M7 a/s Splash (very sweet strong enough as a cologne!)
-Guarlain CORIOLAN AFTER SHAVE LOTION
-Nivea after shave, fresh 2-Phase Lotion, menthol (not made anymore )

Not an a/s splash but one I can vouche for aswell is Santal by Floris a/s Balm!
smells nice and does a good job.

another balm
SCOTT McCLINTOCK byJESSICA McCLINTOCK a very much a like the Santal balm but has a yellow color and smells nice aswell.

Are you looking for an aftershave that is effective, or one that smells really good? Most people look for the aftershave scent to dissipate quickly (as the Skin Food does). If you want the aftershave to double as a cologne, there are lots of alcohol-based products out there that will fit the bill.

Reidar said:
Yeah, definitely should have gone for Lime. This smells sickeningly sweet, like some sort of candy. I also have this Old Spice bottle that smells great, but it's practically pure alcohol. Looks fancy, though -- it's nice on my shelf. What are some quality aftershaves that smell good? I'm appreciative of this product, by the way -- it feels good on my skin, and it's going to last a while. But with the huge variety of options available, I might as well spring for the entire package next time. Reccomendations welcome.
Just what are you looking for in an aftershave?
  • An anti irritant for feu de rassoir?
  • A moisturizer to help keep the skin supple?
  • A tonic to tone and act as an astringent for those little nicks?
Answer those questions first and then worry about fragrance. Fragrance is best addressed in relationship to the colognes or eau de toilettes you may wear after you are shaved and dressing for the day or event.

Something to address irritations. I have moisturizers already and I rarely cut myself. This Skin Food is really making my face feel soft, though -- other than the smell, I like it. Is the Lime the same formula? It says it's for "Normal skin" while the Coral is for "Sensitive to normal skin."

I received my first bottle of Coral Skin Food on Friday. I agree that the scent was offputting to say the least, so I thought I'd take it easy and use just three drops after drying my face. Whoa -- I smelled like a grandma for the next four hours!

Wanting to avoid my wife's ridicule, the next morning I used just one drop on a wet face and the smell dissipated within two minutes. And my face felt incredible! Just throw on a cologne of your choice (or not) and hit the town.

(BTW, I'm a long-time lurker, first-time poster... thanks for having me over.)

inkling said:
I received my first bottle of Coral Skin Food on Friday. I agree that the scent was offputting to say the least, so I thought I'd take it easy and use just three drops after drying my face. Whoa -- I smelled like a grandma for the next four hours!

Wanting to avoid my wife's ridicule, the next morning I used just one drop on a wet face and the smell dissipated within two minutes. And my face felt incredible! Just throw on a cologne of your choice (or not) and hit the town.

(BTW, I'm a long-time lurker, first-time poster... thanks for having me over.)

Inkling, welcome to B&B. You area correct. All you need is a drop, a tad smaller than an english pea. I apply it with wet hands. Funny, not long ago, I didn't care for Rose products, but this one is a keeper.

Randy

I just tried GFT Coral Skin Food for the first time today along with some of the rose shave cream. The shave cream worked great, but i didn't care for the scent (not bad mind you, but not one I'd personally go out of my way to get). I didn't have high hopes for the Coral Skin food because I really didn't care for the scent in the bottle, but man when i got that stuff on my face, I thought I was in heaven. That's a rose scent that I really liked for some reason.

I don't get it, but hey go with the flow. It really did remind me of my Grandfather's rose garden.

It smells like a Barbie branded product targeted at little girls to me, but it works pretty well and the smell goes away fast.

I just tried it recently too not a big fan of the scent either and or how sticky it seems to go on, but it really does an excellent job on the skin post shave and the scent dissipates quickly enough off me so I can just use something else in that regard if I wish. That said I just seen they now have Sandalwood skin food so I got to get me some of that :biggrin:

I find that Limes SF smells even sweeter than the Rose. I had to give it away. I kept the rose because I can tolerate the smell and it works great.

I think the GFT Coral Skin Food is one of the more refined rose scents out there. If one doesn't like it then I think one doesn't like rose at all. It's quite acceptable to me. I make an attempt to actively Smell The Roses every day :wink:

Talk about resurrecting a thread from the graves...

Best - MM

I only use the Skin Food as a pre-lather lubricant. The only Aftershave that touches my face is Musgo Real splash.

My wife loves the Lime SF scent for the whole 2 minutes it lasts. The Coral scent is off putting, but, like the Lime, the scent disappears & the soothing/softening effect lasts a while.

Musgo Real is great for irritation - I like the scent, but the wife thinks it's like a cheap indistinguishable smell. Tabac & Old Spice are in the same category in her opinion.
She goes for Pino Sylveste (burns! & pine smell doesn't really grab me) & the Lime scents.

Bit off topic - BUT - It's funny how a guy thinks something smells majestic/masculine & the lady thinks it's common, too sweet, lacking distinction. Very subjective, this whole scent thing! :confused:

Top Bottom