What's new

Oh how I loathe the cold water splash

Is it just me, or does anyone else hate the cold water splash after the shave? I'm not even sure what it's supposed to do, something about closing the pores? Is it really necessary? I should mention that I shave at night after a shower, and I guess most people who enjoy the cold splash are probably shaving in the morning and like the bracing rush that cold water provides. But after a shower and shave at night, just before getting ready for bed, the last thing I want is cold water on my face that's going to wake me up. I think I'm just going to give it up, I don't think I'll see much difference anyway as I only half-*** it with the cold water anyway.

Jordan

Unlike you, I love the cold water splash. I usually shave in the morning after a warm shower and the cold water always feels great as a pick-me-up... but hey, if it isn't your thing and you can get the desired results without it, then it only makes sense to skip it.

jdavis54 said:
Is it just me, or does anyone else hate the cold water splash after the shave? I'm not even sure what it's supposed to do, something about closing the pores? Is it really necessary? I should mention that I shave at night after a shower, and I guess most people who enjoy the cold splash are probably shaving in the morning and like the bracing rush that cold water provides. But after a shower and shave at night, just before getting ready for bed, the last thing I want is cold water on my face that's going to wake me up. I think I'm just going to give it up, I don't think I'll see much difference anyway as I only half-*** it with the cold water anyway.

Jordan

If its not your bag, I'd say skip it. But if you're still looking to tighten up those pores post shave (which may not be a concern of yours), witch hazel would be a "non-bracing" way to do it. YMMV

NMMB said:
Unlike you, I love the cold water splash. I usually shave in the morning after a warm shower and the cold water always feels great as a pick-me-up.

Me too. It's a great way to finish off a shave.

I'll either finish with a cold water splash, or wet wash cloth with cold water and wipe down my face. The cloth is preferred in the winter months.

Randy

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
If you don't like the cold water splash, here's a little tip for you. First, use Proraso cream in the green tube for your shave. Then do a cold water splash, immedeately followed by an application of Baxter's aftershave.

You'll never complain about a regular cold water splash again.

Call me Winston Wolfe. I solve problems.

I loove the cold water splash. Some days in the summer, I long for a scuttle filled with ice water.

As others have mentioned, wet shaving is about having fun... If you're doing something that's not fun, mix it up. :wink:

-Nick

Cold water splash is definately not necessary. I used to shave in the shower when I first started (before changing to DE) and never used cold water. Never had any problems.

I love the cold water rinse, the colder the better. I also love the sting of the alchohol based after shave. Maybe I'm weird but this brings me to life in the mornings.

Just for the record, and to be a bit anal about terminology, skin pores do not "open" or "close." They're just like folicles and will change size with skin temperature, moisture levels etc. but they are always open, hence the word "pore."

Having said that, the cold water splash acts more on a blood vessel level. Cold water will cause the cappilaries that are close to the skin surface to contract, so small nicks and weepers will actually stop bleeding, even with surface clotting. It is truly amazing, and I have yet to have a weeper or nick (except one with the feather blade - don't ask) that did not stop with a good cold water splash.

But an astringent will cause a similar reaction, so if you use a Witch Hazel splash after your shave, and you REALLY HATE the cold water splash, skip it.

Personally I do both because, well, I like it.:biggrin:

Peace,

Pierre

vox_rox said:
Just for the record, and to be a bit anal about terminology, skin pores do not "open" or "close." They're just like folicles and will change size with skin temperature, moisture levels etc. but they are always open, hence the word "pore."

Having said that, the cold water splash acts more on a blood vessel level. Cold water will cause the cappilaries that are close to the skin surface to contract, so small nicks and weepers will actually stop bleeding, even with surface clotting. It is truly amazing, and I have yet to have a weeper or nick (except one with the feather blade - don't ask) that did not stop with a good cold water splash.

But an astringent will cause a similar reaction, so if you use a Witch Hazel splash after your shave, and you REALLY HATE the cold water splash, skip it.

Personally I do both because, well, I like it.:biggrin:

Peace,

Pierre

FWIW, Further Clarification

From Wikipedia:

Some common astringent agents include alum, oatmeal, talc (talcum powder), witch hazel, very cold water, and rubbing alcohol (also known as surgical spirit).

ouch said:
If you don't like the cold water splash, here's a little tip for you. First, use Proraso cream in the green tube for your shave. Then do a cold water splash, immedeately followed by an application of Baxter's aftershave.

You'll never complain about a regular cold water splash again.

Call me Winston Wolfe. I solve problems.

:lol:

Scotto said:
I lurve me some cold water splash. If you don't like it, don't do it. There is no law, you know.

Actually I thought Title 17110 Section 1229-c Paragraph A stated:
"(a) Every wet shaver, as defined in paragraph (c) of subdivision one of section three hundred ninty-six-z of the general shaving law, MUST apply at least 50ml of cold water upon their face following each and every shave. Cold water being defined as H20 at a temperature at or below 60 degrees F."

:confused1

rusirius said:
Actually I thought Title 17110 Section 1229-c Paragraph A stated:
"(a) Every wet shaver, as defined in paragraph (c) of subdivision one of section three hundred ninty-six-z of the general shaving law, MUST apply at least 50ml of cold water upon their face following each and every shave. Cold water being defined as H20 at a temperature at or below 60 degrees F."

:confused1
Sounds a bit like Method Shaving :001_huh:...not Wet Shavers in General.

I love the cold water splash. It is so refreshing to have that coolness on my face early morning. Plus it helps intensify that great proraso feeling I love.

Top Bottom