What's new

Oh Boy!

Today is about 90 shaves, using the @rbscebu method of “a shave a day” whether or not you want.

I spent an hour or more on my face today. Since day one, like all of us I’m guessing, I’ve struggled with various aspects of my shave. My mentor took me to the gates, as it were—the rest is up to me. Down the cheeks, up the neck is WTG for me. Some exceptions present themselves like the area around the Adam’s Apple and immediately L and R of the goatee.

I’m pleased that I’ve come as close as ever to a BBS shave in entirety. I’ve come close, but pinching like on a cell phone the area surrounding the Adam’s Apple, there has always been unreachable stubble. I never let it bother me. Today it got personal! I went up the neck and down the face for starters. I then went XTG (up the face and down the neck) to get closer yet (still feels a bit squirrely to do!) and rinsed. I reapplied lather (more than a dozen times with the same brush) to small areas to work on them. I learned how to get my neck area.

My mentor and I were discussing the concept of “angle of attack,” and frankly, I didn’t know if he was speaking about a Trojan phalanx or honing. He was speaking of neither. As I’m sure you all know, he was talking about the blade on the skin.

For my neck I need to finish first WTG and XTG, then attack around the Adam’s Apple one side at a time lathering one side at a time, and SLOWLY using a motion like a windshield wiper to get those “inward pinch” stubble hairs. Works a charm, if I have an hour to spend. 😊

I’m sure it’ll become better and less laborious with time and practice. Big shout-out to all those whose words—while not directed towards me, but found in other threads—helped here. The “windshield wiper” motion I’ve read about, but only NOW do I know what it means. My neck is smooth!!

The days of “finishing up those problem areas with a DE” are over.

Major hurdle overcome today. After the shave I had to check the alum block a few times to confirm it wasn’t a block of shea butter. Turns out I knew it wasn’t the whole time. I don’t own a block of shea butter! LOL.

I treated myself to a balm of the pictured stuff I can’t pronounce. 😊

four.jpg

three.jpg

two.jpg

ZARTGEFÜHL = roughly TSAHT GE (hard G, short E) FEWL (not FUEL, like FEW w/o a Y sound. Barely pronounce the “L.”)
Accent is on the first syllable.

CHEZ MON GRAND PÈRE = SHAY MO(n) GRAH(n) PEAR
(The “n” is silent. It simply gives a nasal sound to the vowels before. Pinch your nose when you say it. 🙂)

MAÎTRE SAVONITTO = MET(r) SAH VO NEE TOE
(The “r” is barely pronounced, a sort of slight hack sound in the back of the throat. You could skip it.)

Thus ends the lesson.

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
Today is about 90 shaves, using the @rbscebu method of “a shave a day” whether or not you want.

I spent an hour or more on my face today. Since day one, like all of us I’m guessing, I’ve struggled with various aspects of my shave. My mentor took me to the gates, as it were—the rest is up to me. Down the cheeks, up the neck is WTG for me. Some exceptions present themselves like the area around the Adam’s Apple and immediately L and R of the goatee.

I’m pleased that I’ve come as close as ever to a BBS shave in entirety. I’ve come close, but pinching like on a cell phone the area surrounding the Adam’s Apple, there has always been unreachable stubble. I never let it bother me. Today it got personal! I went up the neck and down the face for starters. I then went XTG (up the face and down the neck) to get closer yet (still feels a bit squirrely to do!) and rinsed. I reapplied lather (more than a dozen times with the same brush) to small areas to work on them. I learned how to get my neck area.

My mentor and I were discussing the concept of “angle of attack,” and frankly, I didn’t know if he was speaking about a Trojan phalanx or honing. He was speaking of neither. As I’m sure you all know, he was talking about the blade on the skin.

For my neck I need to finish first WTG and XTG, then attack around the Adam’s Apple one side at a time lathering one side at a time, and SLOWLY using a motion like a windshield wiper to get those “inward pinch” stubble hairs. Works a charm, if I have an hour to spend. 😊

I’m sure it’ll become better and less laborious with time and practice. Big shout-out to all those whose words—while not directed towards me, but found in other threads—helped here. The “windshield wiper” motion I’ve read about, but only NOW do I know what it means. My neck is smooth!!

The days of “finishing up those problem areas with a DE” are over.

Major hurdle overcome today. After the shave I had to check the alum block a few times to confirm it wasn’t a block of shea butter. Turns out I knew it wasn’t the whole time. I don’t own a block of shea butter! LOL.

View attachment 1467505

View attachment 1467506

View attachment 1467508
It's fun learning a new skill.

From memory, I think that it was at about 100 daily SR shaves that I started to get BBS all over. It wasn't long after that I realised I didn't want BBS. It gave me almost nothing to shave 24 hours later. It then took me many shaves to reduce the shave quality so that I could enjoy SR shaving daily again.

It's an addiction I tell you.

Last edited:
ZARTGEFÜHL = roughly TSAHT GE (hard G, short E) FEWL (not FUEL, like FEW w/o a Y sound. Barely pronounce the “L.”)

(The “n” is silent. It simply gives a nasal sound to the vowels before. Pinch your nose when you say it. 🙂)

(The “r” is barely pronounced, a sort of slight hack sound in the back of the throat. You could skip it.)

Thus ends the lesson.

Thank you so much!! If you care to provide any additional translation I’d be in your debt.

Thus ends the lesson.
Translation. I have no idea what some words mean. I know Chez mon Grand Pere means "at my grandfather's," but Zartgefuhl and Maitre Sovonitto I don't.

Thank you, my multi-lingual friend!

Maître = master (like master chef, master baker, schoolmaster)
Savonnito is his name.

Zartgefühl I had to look up. It said “sensitivity.” Manufaktur = manufacturer, factory.
Perhaps it’s maker of products for sensitive skin?

Manufacture (manufacturer, factory) de savons (of soap) = soap factory, soap maker

I have an Adam’s apple and find that pulling the skin to the right and left allows me to reach the hard to get areas using the heel of the razor.

I have deep hollows on each side of my Adam’s apple, and something that really helps me is to push my trachea from the opposite side that I’m shaving. This fills in the hollows so I can reach them without trying to fit the toe or heel into them.
This is gold! I had never thought of doing this.

Top Bottom